THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Spanking new (to me) 2015 m235i help

08-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
TheArchivist
Rep
Drives: M235i

Spanking new (to me) 2015 m235i help

Hey guys, the title tells the tale, I'm a new owner of a 15 m235i. I'm pretty new to BMW's in general but not to cars as a whole, though most of my experience is with older American muscle. I had a couple questions for you guys and I was hoping you could help me out.

I know the car has some upgrades already like a Dinan intake, a Dinan tuner that was removed, possibly another intercooler (but honestly I have to do more research on that one), and a charge pipe that I believe might be from VRSF. Still looks like it has the stock downpipe and exhaust, but I haven't put it on the lift yet. I might do that this weekend when I change the oil.

One question for which I found contradictory answers while searching was about the intake filter. Can the round blue filter be cleaned, say with a K&N cleaner, or should I just replace it? a 100$ air filter change seems excessive but I couldn't find much on this, or either I was looking in the wrong place. I don't mind cleaning it, but just don't want to make my maf sensor mad or ruin the filter. Couldn't find much info on the Dinan website, but maybe I missed it somehow.

Second, I found a generic pdf for the things that people should look for when maintaining their vehicle for life but I'm wondering if there are any more tips I should be aware of going forward that is particular to this car or type of car? I'll probably change the plugs as well this weekend but with it pushing 90k miles, should I be on the lookout for anything else?

Third, is there a way to see what possibly has been coded on it? I've noticed that every time the Auto on/off light comes up in the dash, say if I'm in eco pro mode stopped at a red light, it always has a line through it like it's been turned off. The on/off button has no effect on it at all. I'm wondering if more has been done to it that I can't see. Is there any way to look that stuff up?

I appreciate it, I've already learned a ton and I've only been here soaking up the random post or two for the last week or so.

Last edited by TheArchivist; 08-13-2021 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: clarifications
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 09:03 PM   #2
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

The auto start/stop will only function when the conditions are right to do so, the car will decide. Don't use it though, it'll wear the starter out much faster.

I would change the plugs and make sure all the fluids are clean and the belt is ok. Start looking into water pump replacement soon, you're at the milage where they like to die. Other than that, have fun with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 10:34 PM   #3
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Don't use an oiled filter, they tend to mess up sensors! It may be expensive, but your bought a BMW so all parts are 2-3x what you'd pay for the old muscle cars, lol, I know all about it! But dry filters are best, and you can clean them once or twice, like the K&N. I just don't like the oiled ones...

As noted, go through the typical maintenance, at 90k, flush all fluids like coolant, steering, brake, trans, gearboxes, check belts, filters, change plugs... Etc., Etc... Check suspension, get car detailed, paint corrected, sealed and coated. Check all systems, speakers windows, etc. I usually would lubricate all the weatherstripping so they last, there's good info out there on that. Then the wheels and rubber, alignment! Hahaha. Cha ching!
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
TheArchivist
Rep
Drives: M235i

Thanks for the tips guys. I got the plugs and oil changed this weekend. I'll probably do the brake fluid when it's time for pads coming up and the same with the coolant and water pump.

There is an aftermarket intercooler but I couldn't see any name. It's all welded aluminum so I imagine it could be one of several which should all be better than stock. I didn't realize how low the car was, I just put it on my ramps for the oil and stuff as I'm not sure my quick jacks will get under the car. Heck, I had to make little ramps to get it on my big ramps for the oil change. I might just add two more to pick the whole thing up a couple inches for the quick jacks. I ain't the biggest dude in the world but I still had a hard time getting under it for the oil change. Not giving myself that feeling again.
Appreciate 0