THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What does the DSC button do in Sport+?

10-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
Mr. Slowly
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

What does the DSC button do in Sport+?

I have a 2015 228i. When I press the DSC button on any mode, it says "DSC OFF" on the screen. When I change the mode to Sport+, the "skidding" icon comes on, which I take to mean switches off DSC. But even in this mode when I press and hold DSC button, the sign "DSC OFF" comes on again. So I'm confused. Do the icon and the sign mean different things then?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

that button deactivates both DSC -stability and DTC -traction.

press once you deactivate Stability, press and then hold for a few seconds and you deactivate - Traction

Last edited by overcoil; 10-10-2017 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Mr. Slowly
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
that button deactivates both DSC -stability and DTC -traction.

press once you deactivate Stability, press and then hold for a few seconds and you deactivate - Traction

Oh, so the button deactivates BOTH in EVERY mode?

But, Sport+ only deactivates one of those? (which one btw?)

What is the difference between the stability and traction?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Stability control has the ability to work on each corner of the suspension/wheel to help keep the car in it's intend direction. sport + mode can deactivate this stability feature so you can power slide and overesteer to a high degree - w/o the steering inputs activating computer intervention,

Traction control prevents the computers from using brakes or cutting engine power to negate rear ( AWD front and rear ) wheel spin, so for instance on snow or ice you can power your away out of an event.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Mr. Slowly
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Stability control has the ability to work on each corner of the suspension/wheel to help keep the car in it's intend direction. sport + mode can deactivate this stability feature so you can power slide and overesteer to a high degree - w/o the steering inputs activating computer intervention,

Traction control prevents the computers from using brakes or cutting engine power to negate rear ( AWD front and rear ) wheel spin, so for instance on snow or ice you can power your away out of an event.
Fantastic. Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slowly View Post
Fantastic. Thank you so much!
There are some better more accurate explanations on the 2-series forum, so don't hesitate to search.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Also, the electronic LSD (eLSD) is only active in DSC Off. All other modes, the differential acts like an open diff and is far more prone to inner wheel spin on tighter turns. In DSC Off, you can drift the car easily.
Appreciate 1
koston37.00
      10-11-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
If you're likely to be driving in snow, and as importantly, back onto tarmac then it's worth reading the part of your manual that deals with DSC and TRACTION and how to engage/disengage it for snow, chains and gravel. It's also relevant in the summer if you're likely to be driving on sand.

First time I hit snow in my 3 Series my wife was busy reading the manual to see what I should press and when to reset as we got back onto tarmac. And I tell my kids to plan ahead ......

My understanding is that when you move onto snow, gravel or sand, or have just fitted chains, you press the car-with-wriggly-lines-OFF button for a few seconds until TRACTION appears on the console. You shouldn't press it for longer than a few seconds. The car will then try and stop the drive wheels from spinning, but this is at the cost of degrading the usual tarmac-based oversteer compensation. You want this operational all the time you're on the snow, not just for the initial moving-off.

Once you're back on tarmac, you press again and TRACTION disappears and you're back to the 'normal' nannies.
      10-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Thanks here as well, I learned something new today. Will go out and play with it soon.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      10-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
OveN
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '18 F22 230i

Seems unnecessary to always engage DTC every time you encounter snow? I live in Norway with snow 4-6 months of the year and there are only two scenarios where I need/want to engage DTC:
  • When I want to be able to let the back end slip and slide a bit
  • Getting out of a potentially tricky situation as driving through some deep snow or going up a steep icy/slippery hill

Never had any issues what so ever with daily driving on snow/ice with all nannies on
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i xDrive MG

Agreed with OveN - never switched to DTC unless I wanted to play a bit, or if I were facing driving through some fresh deep snow.
2007 335i Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #12
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Hey - just translating what the manual says and feedback from other threads. The Owner's Manual makes the explanation more complicated that it needs to be, causing much confusion.

I also have driven on snow without bothering to enable TRACTION as above, but I think it helped a couple of times starting from a standstill on steep snowy roads in the Alps. I can see that it'd be tedious if it was permanently snowy, especially if you have extreme Nordic winters on.
      10-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #13
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
I have a 2015 228i. When I press the DSC button on any mode, it says "DSC OFF" on the screen. When I change the mode to Sport+, the "skidding" icon comes on, which I take to mean switches off DSC. But even in this mode when I press and hold DSC button, the sign "DSC OFF" comes on again. So I'm confused. Do the icon and the sign mean different things then?
DTC ON and DSC OFF are modes on their own... like Comfort or Sport, Sport+ and ECO

if you are in Sport+ and you hit the DSC button once, that kicks you to DTC ON mode and you are not in Sport+ any more...
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
      10-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #14
Mr. Slowly
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
DTC ON and DSC OFF are modes on their own... like Comfort or Sport, Sport+ and ECO

if you are in Sport+ and you hit the DSC button once, that kicks you to DTC ON mode and you are not in Sport+ any more...
Are you sure about this?

And what about DTC (when you press and hold the DSC button)? Are they separate modes as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Are you sure about this?

And what about DTC (when you press and hold the DSC button)? Are they separate modes as well?
He is 100% Accurate.

If you press and hold the "DTC" button for 3 seconds, at any time, it deactivates both Traction and Stability control, but leaves the ABS "limited slip" feature active. If you press it while in any of the Sport or Sport+ modes, it will deactivate from that mode. Pressing it once while in Sport+ would cause it to go back to "traction on", pressing and holding for 3 seconds while in Sport+ will take you to "DSC off" mode, for example, and should be the same for Sport mode. Also, if you were to press the Traction button once, while in "DSC off" mode, you will reactivate the Stability feature.

Last edited by Dylan86; 10-18-2017 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #16
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Here's a very detailed chart about each modes.
Appreciate 4
ttntm0.00
icin235100.00
Dom14784.50
      10-18-2017, 11:08 PM   #17
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Cannot wait until the DME is finally cracked so that a flash tune will allow us to turn off DSC AND keep the throttle response of Sport +. I hate that dead spot in the gas pedal after turning off DSC.
      10-19-2017, 01:43 AM   #18
Sonertial
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M240i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Cannot wait until the DME is finally cracked so that a flash tune will allow us to turn off DSC AND keep the throttle response of Sport +. I hate that dead spot in the gas pedal after turning off DSC.
It's not a dead spot on ice. I can tell you that right away.

Personally I'd use Sport+ all the time if it were not for the exaggerated throttle response. I find it to be way too non linear, it makes the car feel artificially responsive. When trying to maintain the sweet spot between traction and completely sideways on the track, or on icy roads, I am very happy the throttle response is not exaggerated with DSC off.

What I'd like is Rev-Matching in that mode (6MT). For me that's the only thing DSC-off is missing.

For some reason BMW does not want to give us the opportunity to tailor things to our personal preferences. It's very frustrating when we know the functions are there, but we can't turn them on or off when other almost completely unrelated functions are on or off.

OP, as noted above, I can confirm that pushing the DSC button briefly, in ANY mode (including DSC off -the 5 second push of the button), puts the car into Comfort Mode with "Traction" on, i.e it's Comfort - light steering, soft suspension, but with some slippage allowed.

Another thing that I think I have noticed is that in any mode other than DSC-off, the car won't slide into a handbrake turn. Which is interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #19
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Here's a very detailed chart about each modes.
Great post !
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #20
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Dammit, I just had a long thoughtful post and hit back and deleted it. Anyways the main points I was going to contribute.

It's tough / not possible to do a real powerslide in sport plus unless tires are cold, wet or snowy.

If you are trying to drift/Hoon just go straight to dsc off.

On top of all separate modes you can hit the shifter to the left for sport shifting. I believe this will modify shift points in all modes, maybe not sport or sport plus.

My favorite daily drive modes are sport plus or dsc off with sport shifting.

Dsc off with sport shifting will raise the shift points a little giving the illusion of a slightly better throttle response imho. This is how I prefer to drive dsc off.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #21
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

I actually brought up a similar question not too long ago.

" Sport+ gives you the aggressive engine mapping, sharpest throttle response, and fastest shift speeds. You lose all that if you want to turn off DSC. Not sure why BMW would do this, but I want to retain whatever Sport+ has to offer without the intrusive nanny. So is there a fix? "

As of right now, there's no fix to my concern was what I was told both here and on FB groups. The chart I posted is what it is.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3577.50
      10-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #22
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
I actually brought up a similar question not too long ago.

" Sport+ gives you the aggressive engine mapping, sharpest throttle response, and fastest shift speeds. You lose all that if you want to turn off DSC. Not sure why BMW would do this, but I want to retain whatever Sport+ has to offer without the intrusive nanny. So is there a fix? "

As of right now, there's no fix to my concern was what I was told both here and on FB groups. The chart I posted is what it is.
Dsc off is supposed to be linear for better modulation on the track. That being said, I do wish it was a little bit sharper.

I do think that shifter kicked to the left helps it feel a little more peppy though.

And I do believe there is a solution. I believe there's a module called the Sprint booster that allows you to adjust throttle response. I think it's a plug and play unit.
Appreciate 0