THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Bootmod3 help

05-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i X-Drive

Bootmod3 help

Okay first of all i have a 2016 m235i xdrive.

Currently has a ER catless downpipe on

I ordered a bms intake and vrsf chargepipe from mike at powerhouse. These should arrive soon hopefully.

Now, i dont want to get into meth or anything like that. Strictly FBO+tune.

Im looking into bootmod3 as this seems like a great option.

Im aware i can change maps with my iphone but i guess my real question is can i use my phones data to change maps or does it strictly have to be wifi?

Also if anyone is running stage 2 with Bootmod3 on their 235 i would love for some feedback and input!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmut235 View Post
Okay first of all i have a 2016 m235i xdrive.

Currently has a ER catless downpipe on

I ordered a bms intake and vrsf chargepipe from mike at powerhouse. These should arrive soon hopefully.

Now, i dont want to get into meth or anything like that. Strictly FBO+tune.

Im looking into bootmod3 as this seems like a great option.

Im aware i can change maps with my iphone but i guess my real question is can i use my phones data to change maps or does it strictly have to be wifi?

Also if anyone is running stage 2 with Bootmod3 on their 235 i would love for some feedback and input!!
Yes you can use your phone to reflash, but since maps are essentially programmed off line now you should not need the data connection. Have to say I always flash with WiFi connection and use phone data for logging.

Have to say very happy with BM3 stage 2 tune. Map customization features available with BM3 is great. Mid range power increase is impressive. Hard to stay off the throttle.
      05-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
feedback you say? It's a new world, trust, get it and you won't be dissapointed. I think I started a thread somewhere with dyno and a write up on stage 2 with 91 octane. I'm now running stage 93 octane and it feels much saucier. Just be ready for new tires cuz damn!
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
feedback you say? It's a new world, trust, get it and you won't be dissapointed. I think I started a thread somewhere with dyno and a write up on stage 2 with 91 octane. I'm now running stage 93 octane and it feels much saucier. Just be ready for new tires cuz damn!
Thanks for the feedback!! Looking forward to it

It says i need an intercooler for stage 2 with bootmod3?

Wouldnt the following be safe enough?

Er catless dp
Vrsf chargepipe
Bms intake
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #5
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Er catless dp
Vrsf chargepipe
Bms intake
Yep, should be good. The intercooler is highly recommended because the stock one is small and prone to heatsoaking the car quickly on stock power. Once you start upping power, you will heatsoak faster and lose power potentially. Probably won't notice it much unless you're at the track or super hot days.

I have the ER charge/catless downpipes and Wagner IC and it runs really good. Some people report issues when running different intakes so keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Er catless dp
Vrsf chargepipe
Bms intake
Yep, should be good. The intercooler is highly recommended because the stock one is small and prone to heatsoaking the car quickly on stock power. Once you start upping power, you will heatsoak faster and lose power potentially. Probably won't notice it much unless you're at the track or super hot days.

I have the ER charge/catless downpipes and Wagner IC and it runs really good. Some people report issues when running different intakes so keep that in mind.
Il eventually get an intercooler but for now i think il run this all for a year.

This is my daily and i live in Toronto so we have a colder climate in general.

Do you think the bms intake will work? What do you mean issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

I had an issue with the BMS intake where occasionally the car would stutter at light throttle. Went with the Dinan intake and no problem. This must be caused by some difference in how the MAF works with the BMS intake, as unplugging it solved the problem. Running MAF less does not let the auto start-stop work. PTF might have fixed this in their tunes recently. The BMS intake does sound great! Miss that a little.

As for the IC I ran stage 2 for a while on the stock IC. Intake air temps do rise quickly when you get on it but unless you are running really hard / many pulls it is OK.
      05-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #8
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

I just got bm3 stage 2 last week and it's amazing. Very smooth and pulls hard through out the rpm range. FYI You do need the obd agent to flash from your phone. Also when I did my flash I got a drivetrain malfunction and fuel malfunction. I had to do the online recode which is right under the flash button on the screen. Just Incase you run into that. I spent all day trying to figure it out and it was right under my nose hahaha.
I had issues with my injen intake on my 16 xdrive. I just put in a drop in filter. I do miss the sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
itzzoscar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive GSM

I also have a 16 m235i xdrive and had BM3 for a month now. I love it. Power gains from BM3 comapred to the Jb4 i had is night and day. Support for BM3 is great too. They have a facebook group where the admins are very active on.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzoscar View Post
I also have a 16 m235i xdrive and had BM3 for a month now. I love it. Power gains from BM3 comapred to the Jb4 i had is night and day. Support for BM3 is great too. They have a facebook group where the admins are very active on.
Sounds great! I appreciate all your help

Im going to pull the trigger on bm3 i think as it seems to be the best flash tune for my needs.

Still waiting on mike from X-PH to have delivered my charge pipe and intake as i dont want to run that much boost with a flimsy stock charge-pipe

How does data logging work? Will it tell show my a graph similar to a dyno chart? Does anyone with a stage 2 have pictures to share with expected gains?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #11
JP's M2xx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i x drive conv

This is all really helping me to make my decision. 2016 m235 x drive conv here as well and planning on stage 1 at this point.

So if I buy the OBD Agent I don't need a laptop ever, correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:49 PM   #12
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP's M2xx View Post
This is all really helping me to make my decision. 2016 m235 x drive conv here as well and planning on stage 1 at this point.

I personally dont think the agent is worth the money since the app seems more friendly
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #13
JP's M2xx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i x drive conv

Quote:
I personally dont think the agent is worth the money since the app seems more friendly
So you are just going to run the app on your laptop to flash then?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 11:03 PM   #14
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So you are just going to run the app on your laptop to flash then?
Ya i mean it would make sense to buy the agent if i was going to be switching between maps alot but i would only do it from winter to summer and summer to winter
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #15
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds great! I appreciate all your help

Im going to pull the trigger on bm3 i think as it seems to be the best flash tune for my needs.

Still waiting on mike from X-PH to have delivered my charge pipe and intake as i dont want to run that much boost with a flimsy stock charge-pipe

How does data logging work? Will it tell show my a graph similar to a dyno chart? Does anyone with a stage 2 have pictures to share with expected gains?
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5af73709d10b43430ca4813e
Here's a datalog.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
austin102085
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Did you remove the JB4 or leave it installed to stack and use for meth? Im about to switch to BM3 and not sure if i should remove JB4 and try to sell or just keep it for meth latter down the line. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
You still need to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot even in offline mode. This is what the phone app uses to connect to the hardware agent device.

You can build your own hardware agent device for less than $50. That's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #18
kilox90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
You still need to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot even in offline mode. This is what the phone app uses to connect to the hardware agent device.

You can build your own hardware agent device for less than $50. That's what I did.
Did the same and works flawlessly .
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #19
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post

How easy is this to do? Can I do it from a Mac?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #20
DrJones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 x3 m40i, Audi RS3

Quote:

After reading some on this thread and others, I am thinking about swapping my JB4 for the BM3. I prefer flash tunes anyway (had APR prior on my Audis) and the BM3 sounds like a good one. It sounds like DME Unlock is now available for the N55 engine (I have a 2015 m235 xdrive), but https://www.protuningfreaks.com/pages/bootmod3-faq page, under "Do I need to remove my DME" make me question. I think this webpage is not current, but want to make sure the BM3 can be fully done at home in the garage.

Also, I have the VRSF chargepipe only, so far. I am looking at a FMIC, but videos of downpipes are sounding too loud and raw for my tastes. Could/should I run stage 1 93 octane with stock FMIC and DP? Should I upgrade my FMIC (or DP)? What about for stage 2 93 octane?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #21
kilox90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
After reading some on this thread and others, I am thinking about swapping my JB4 for the BM3. I prefer flash tunes anyway (had APR prior on my Audis) and the BM3 sounds like a good one. It sounds like DME Unlock is now available for the N55 engine (I have a 2015 m235 xdrive), but https://www.protuningfreaks.com/pages/bootmod3-faq page, under "Do I need to remove my DME" make me question. I think this webpage is not current, but want to make sure the BM3 can be fully done at home in the garage.

Also, I have the VRSF chargepipe only, so far. I am looking at a FMIC, but videos of downpipes are sounding too loud and raw for my tastes. Could/should I run stage 1 93 octane with stock FMIC and DP? Should I upgrade my FMIC (or DP)? What about for stage 2 93 octane?
No DME removal is required with BM3 flash tune. Simply plug up your stuff and you're good to go. Really easy and straight forward honestly and I have no prior experience with this stuff.

I have a Fabspeed Catted DP and sounds good to me. I'm afraid of going catless because of how loud it'll be with my Fabspeed muffler bypass. I would advise for you to go with Stage 1 if you're just upgrading your charge pipe, otherwise make sure you get an aftermarket intercooler for Stage 2 and a DP. I'm not sure if a stock intake will hinder the stage 1 tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #22
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry675 View Post
How easy is this to do? Can I do it from a Mac?
The hardware agent would be for people using an iPhone/Android device. If you use a laptop it's not needed. With a laptop you connect directly to the car via the ODII cable.

Laptop > OBDII cable > ODII port

or

iPhone/Android > WiFi Hotspot > Hardware Agent > OBDII cable > OBDII port
Appreciate 0