THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 2016 M235i convertible exhaust valve failure

05-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
2011 135i MSport Conv
Rep
Drives: 2011 M Sport Conv Lemans Blue

2016 M235i convertible exhaust valve failure

Hi 2er fans. I discovered recently that the electronic actuator which opens the suction line to the valve was not operating. The left side exhaust pipe would not open in any mode, Sport or Sport+.

A trip to the dealer and some diagnostics determined there was a software glitch, a known error.

The fix was to upgrade my software to the latest revision, one that the dealer had just received.

My car has the BMW Performance Exhaust. I never bothered to check whether the valve had been opening since it had been installed.

The valve now does properly operate after the software update. But the big surprise comes in performance, either due to the less restriction in the exhaust system, or because of other changes in the software.

The engine seems to pull to higher rpm much more smoothly, and the torque seems not to fall away as sharply as before. This is a very nice improvement in Sport mode. The exhaust note is changed and a bit more pleasant than before. It is more than loud enough.

There is now one caveat to the upgrade. The red line absolutely limits the max revs possible. You will find no more revs about 7k.

The new software pulls so fast to 7k you don't notice the lower torque after 5k or so, and you can over rev in 1st and 2nd gear if you are in manual mode with the 8 speed automatic trans. I did not realize what was happening the first few times I went WOT. The auto mode works perfectly.

The overall driving experience is really enhanced.

Check your exhaust, maybe you are due an upgrade also. My car was the first my dealership has upgraded with the new software. They requested feedback which I have cheerfully provided.

Best,

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
jjt17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 135is, M235i

Did they give you a TSB number for this glitch and software upgrade?

How do you check the exhaust is valve is opening? Warm up car, put in sport drive a little and shut car off, check the exhaust pipe?
Appreciate 0