THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan exhaust and M perf. valence installed

05-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Dinan exhaust and M perf. valence installed

Finally got my body shop to take my car in this week.

Had mirror caps and reflectors painted and Dinan Exhaust and valenece painted and installed. Never cared for the look of the gray panel on the back of the white car so the exhaust system and valenece solved two issue for me ( aestheitcs and desire for more engine sound -ASD is coded out).

When I went to pick the car up today it was still inside when I started it. WOW--what a sound but certainly loud on an inside cold start. Was a bit concerned I overshot my mark.

After driving around a while today, its amazing. Just right. No drone, really unobtrusive while just cruising. But, when you dip into the throttle you get a real earful of that magnificent engine whirring under the hood.

The body shop installed the system full open with the flapper solenoid disconnected and stored away if I wanted to go back to stock ( like hell, I will)

Very, very pleased. Car sound like it should off the assembly line IMHO.

. Sorry for the lousy video. I have never tried this before so I just use my i phone video and on a recycling bin to capture the sound. Hope you get the "idea" OF HOW IT SOUNDS .
Attached Images

Last edited by emtrey; 05-12-2018 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: add audio
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
KPT2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Looking good. If you want to close the gap up on the exhaust check out this thread:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485439
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
emtrey
Captain
Rep

that gap is pretty big. The shop that did this work for me is a top tier restoration shop .
I have used them since lat 1970s when I was driving a Ferrari 308 GTB..

I will ask him next time I am around there but my guess is they had a reason not to try to minimize the gap.

I don't track the car but I sure don't want to deal with melted valence covers. I wonder if this was BMW perf. parts or Dinan that made that gap so large.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
KPT2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

That’s the exact same gap size I had when I installed mine myself, so it’s a Dinan thing I’m sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
emtrey
Captain
Rep

They probably have a reason for setting it up like this. I may give them a call and try to get an answer.

I would like it tighter to the valence but those huge pipes sure look great so that is catching my eye right now more than the gap.

It does some incredible.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
They probably have a reason for setting it up like this. I may give them a call and try to get an answer.

I would like it tighter to the valence but those huge pipes sure look great so that is catching my eye right now more than the gap.

It does some incredible.
I love the tips as well but can't stand how low it sits. I had a mpe before and hated how small the tips were. I got lucky and found my Dinan on eBay new from a bmw dealer in jersey that must have been cleaning out old inventory and only paid $500 for it. It seems heavier then the mpe and the hangers do look stretched with the dinan.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
ham_hock_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Had the same gap issue when my Dinan muffler and diffuser was installed. Mechanic just had to do some adjustment to the bracket and now it sits nicely within the cove. Over 5,000 miles and zero heat issues.

Wait until the exhaust breaks in a bit—sound gets a bit "throatier"!
      05-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
emtrey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNK View Post
Had the same gap issue when my Dinan muffler and diffuser was installed. Mechanic just had to do some adjustment to the bracket and now it sits nicely within the cove. Over 5,000 miles and zero heat issues.

Wait until the exhaust breaks in a bit—sound gets a bit "throatier"!
Mine was "used". Given to me by a friend who had a 235 and took it off his car before trade in to M2. It sounds amazing.

Mine was installed by a restoration shop because valence needed re- painting coming off a red car.

Next time I am in my indy mechanics shop, I will have him check if it can be raised a bit.

Does anybody know if those tips get "hotter" than OEM or others

My son was here yesterday and said..."those pipes are huge". Did not have time to let him take it for a test drive since it was Mother's Day and weather sucked. I think he is going to like the car a lot since he drives a 325i as his DD to go along with his Beck Spyder.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
emtrey
Captain
Rep

the whole flapper assembly is lashed to the outside of one of the mounting brackets.

I have no intention of going back to OEM exhaust BUT does the control box need to be wrapped in anything for protection ?? Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the whole flapper assembly is lashed to the outside of one of the mounting brackets.

I have no intention of going back to OEM exhaust BUT does the control box need to be wrapped in anything for protection ?? Any ideas?
It's supposed to be inside the corner of the bumper...the backside of the wheel well. That being said it probably doesn't matter. Is it just tywrapped to the hanger?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #11
emtrey
Captain
Rep

It is cable tied at 3 points (whole assembly ) from the holes in the rubber mount.

This was done by a top of the line restoration shop. I have to assume they knew what were doing.

Just wondering if I should attempt to wrap it in some kind protection or just leave it alone. I doubt it will ever be used again.

Your thoughts ? ( and thanks in advance )
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #12
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
It is cable tied at 3 points (whole assembly ) from the holes in the rubber mount.

This was done by a top of the line restoration shop. I have to assume they knew what were doing.

Just wondering if I should attempt to wrap it in some kind protection or just leave it alone. I doubt it will ever be used again.

You could tape the plug with electrical tape and even throw some dialectical grease in the plug if you wanted to go crazy. The whole flapper thing could probably be stuck in a ziplock bag and taped up.

Congrats on the exhaust and diffuser too! I have the diffuser now with the Dinan mid pipe and eventually want to get the muffler too.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #13
emtrey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
You could tape the plug with electrical tape and even throw some dialectical grease in the plug if you wanted to go crazy. The whole flapper thing could probably be stuck in a ziplock bag and taped up.

Congrats on the exhaust and diffuser too! I have the diffuser now with the Dinan mid pipe and eventually want to get the muffler too.
Thanks. The exhaust sounds amazing. ( you can go up to orig post and hear my ( rudimentary ) sound clip) Hope you get to add one soon.
Appreciate 1
K8_M235i476.50
      05-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Here is where the instructions say to zip tie it up behind the black plastic in the void(Pictures)
But as long as it's not on any moving parts that could break the zip ties I'm sure it's fine. There's not really any electrical parts exposed on the unit so I'm sure it's fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #15
emtrey
Captain
Rep

sounds good. I think I will just leave it as is and just enjoy the music thanks much.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 02:38 AM   #16
bmwerkes
Registered
Rep
Drives: m235i xdrive m performance

Looks sharp!
Appreciate 0