THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M Performance Exhaust

02-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #23
Denison-M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

I went with the MPE on my new 2018 M240i installed at the port with the rear diffuser. I love it!! It sounds amazing, and makes it a blast to drive. Comfort mode is quieter for the neighbors, and sport / sport+ sounds very aggressive, with burbles and crackles. I'm very happy with it !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #24
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Great news Denison.

I went with the blue as well, black wheels, and black leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #25
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
That is correct since some dealers are also Dinan reps I am sure the tune was Dinan but the price seems cheap - must be the Dinan sport he was quoting - getting my dinan stage 1 tune and the MPE installed next week -then be ready for racing in april!!!!
Yeah a real tune should be about that price installed, for just that. Exhaust figure what $1400? I think a good price for both, dealer installed, would be anything ~$3K.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 07:46 PM   #26
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I've spent a few days with the MPE. It's a more subtle transition than my previous e92 M3 MPE's compared to stock on those cars. It's a very subtle increase in growl and volume in the cabin. It does add more of the funky turbo gurgle noises in sport. It's very subtle though, I wished it had just a little more pop to it. I like hearing the engine and driving by sound, it helps in that area but I'd like hearing just a little more without it being obnoxious. This car is really very well insulated, I think the sound from the outside is louder than you'd think from what you hear in the cockpit. It's an improvement though, no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 11:12 PM   #27
WillOs
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I've spent a few days with the MPE. It's a more subtle transition than my previous e92 M3 MPE's compared to stock on those cars. It's a very subtle increase in growl and volume in the cabin. It does add more of the funky turbo gurgle noises in sport. It's very subtle though, I wished it had just a little more pop to it. I like hearing the engine and driving by sound, it helps in that area but I'd like hearing just a little more without it being obnoxious. This car is really very well insulated, I think the sound from the outside is louder than you'd think from what you hear in the cockpit. It's an improvement though, no regrets.
Wait several months until the car / zorst is all bed in. it gets louder... and louder... ive done 25,xxxkms and the turbo spool sound in Sport+ is moist! and gets better all the time. I'm running MPE from day 1. and it is DEFINITELY loud on the outside, and its the full CAT BACK system. Looking to add a downpipe and DME tune or JB4 Piggy Back soon.
Appreciate 1
Denk1006.00
      02-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #28
madmax240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillOs View Post
Wait several months until the car / zorst is all bed in. it gets louder... and louder... ive done 25,xxxkms and the turbo spool sound in Sport+ is moist! and gets better all the time. I'm running MPE from day 1. and it is DEFINITELY loud on the outside, and its the full CAT BACK system. Looking to add a downpipe and DME tune or JB4 Piggy Back soon.
Will, I don't think there is a DME tune yet, but let us know how you go if you find someone who can do it.
Appreciate 1
WillOs7.00
      02-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #29
WillOs
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax240 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillOs View Post
Will, I don't think there is a DME tune yet, but let us know how you go if you find someone who can do it.
There definitely isn't a DME tune available here yet. Hanging for one!! Just so slow to develop parts of these new B58s. I got mine first release end of 2016. And I'm struggling to even find basic mods locally...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #30
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i/VW MK7.5 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP2650 View Post
I can't find any specs on the BMW M Performance Exhaust. Does it flow better than the stock unit resulting in better HP and torque, or just sound better? I'm trying to decide between the M Performance Exhaust or the Dinan exhaust.
No performance gains in terms of HP/TQ, I have an MPE on my M240 and I love the way it sounds in Sports/SPorts+ mode - it's not overly obnoixous, sound is just right.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #31
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240I

I went with the MPE and I love it...

2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #32
olehead
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I X drive

On exhausts Sound and Performance- You will never get the grumble pop with the M240 that you get with any V8 - We compared A dinan and MPE side by side at the dealer and very little difference - I put on a MPE as it is lease and I can get back some of the money
Anything that allows a car to breath better will improve performance to some degree but chances all you will not notice it maybe little better gas mileage - however the issue with the turbos you have to be careful not to overdue it as they require a certain amount of back pressure to run right with a stock tune - When dinan releases their stage 2 tune and their CAI they will work with the parameters on A/F etc - at that point you might get 10 to 15hp to the wheels - On a NA engine V8 you can gain a lot more by completely opening up air flow
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #33
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post

He quoted me $2216 for the tune and exhaust installed.

Somehow I am having trouble believing that the tune comes with the exhaust, especially since I cannot find any documentation anywhere stating so.
The Dinan tune is 1400 plus install and the mpe is around 900 plus install and that is with no tips. So I think it would be safe to say you better have a second person check on that for you.
2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #34
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
On exhausts Sound and Performance- You will never get the grumble pop with the M240 that you get with any V8...
Very true...
After owning a C5 & C6, if I wanted a car for the sound package experience only, I would have continued the domestic love affair with a C7 & z51 package.

But I wanted something different this time around, yearned for the M2 but took the m240i instead due to availability and cost. No matter what exhaust scenario for the m240i I have heard on YouTube, it's not even close to what my ears are accustomed to. I had no problems springing cash for the Stage 1, it simply gave the car an attitude adjustment for the better. But in the sound department I just can't justify any additional cost that only produced a louder sound of something that is "meh" to begin with.

Actually the semi-pedestrian sound on my car with the Stage 1 as my only mod so far does allow me to supersize many who have no clue how potent the m240i is off the line, almost sleeper like, something you could never, EVER do in a Vette.
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0