THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Elite (M240i)

03-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #67
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
That's exactly my point if you're planning on tuning even before you order your car, it's $2k for an LSD or $2k for xDrive. Unless there's a specific reason to go rwd for some reason, I'd just recommend xDrive since it'll put the power down better than the LSD will... unless sideways is you're friend and you can control said friend
Makes sense to me. Additionally you get a better 0-60 w/ the xDrive right out of the box.

I never WOT from dead stop. When playing, usually just hard acceleration from a roll or 1/2-2/3 pedal from a dead stop (just enough to maintain full traction). I'm more into the instant throttle response and the sensation it provides. Ear to ear smiles.

@ the time I ordered didn't anticipate doing a tune. Traded a C7 for it. Corvette had plenty of power but GM's wonky A8 left me driving it as a blvd cruiser rather than playing w/ it as I tend to do w/ performance/sporty handling cars.

For me the M240i isn't too far behind the C7 (for my type of playing). I just have to apply more pedal w/ the BMW to get the same sensation I got from the C7. Bimmer 8 speed is way better too.

Anticipating this Dinan to put me even closer to the C7 w/o the tranny issues. I'll likely be .1 slower to 60 and .5 or less in the 1/4 (based on published numbers for both cars). Not that I'll ever verify those numbers IRL.

Next car will have xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #68
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I am seriously contemplating this, after I do the exhaust.. I know traction will be an issue, but have to wait till I have summer rubber back on to find out how much of an issue it is bone stock.

I have a 6spd rwd and it's been fine in the snow with the winter tires - however the winter tires will break loose even on dry pavement in this cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #69
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I am seriously contemplating this, after I do the exhaust.. I know traction will be an issue, but have to wait till I have summer rubber back on to find out how much of an issue it is bone stock.

I have a 6spd rwd and it's been fine in the snow with the winter tires - however the winter tires will break loose even on dry pavement in this cold weather.
These cars do surprisingly well in the snow compared to some other rwd cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #70
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Chomping at the bit for the M240 exhaust and mid pipe.....
Appreciate 1
fbsm743.00
      03-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #71
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Dinan Elite Performance Tune Install and Dyno

So I said a few weeks ago I would get this Dinan Elite and Dyno so here you go. First run is with the Dinan on bypass mode so not turned on. The next few are the dynos after the install. Took a run or two for the car to adapt to the tune. So now just trying to see if how much my butt dyno can tell the difference. =)
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      03-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #72
varkdriver
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

It's great to see someone take the plunge and report back with dyno numbers. Looks like a great tune as you would expect from Dinan. With that kind of power, hooking up my be the biggest issue. Please report back with more of your impressions as soon as you can.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #73
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Excellent

Thank you very much for posting results

Numbers are impressive but quite a bit different than what Dinan posted

Is there anything that would have contributed to a difference that you can think of?

Altitude
89 octane fuel
Other?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #74
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
So I said a few weeks ago I would get this Dinan Elite and Dyno so here you go. First run is with the Dinan on bypass mode so not turned on. The next few are the dynos after the install. Took a run or two for the car to adapt to the tune. So now just trying to see if how much my butt dyno can tell the difference. =)
Pretty close to Dinan's engine dyno results considering an estimated a 15% drive train loss. Thanks for sharing!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:26 PM   #75
jul2412
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i xdrive

Nice results! Very tempting to install on my car
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #76
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

My rough numbers using Dinan's and BMW published HP and Torque numbers, I came up with around 366WHP and 421 wheel torque.....so the actual Dyno numbers of 364 and 410 aren't too far off.....although a bit more torque would always be welcome.

As Dinan states, each car is a bit different as are testing conditions.. Still the Stage 1 is a real kick in the pants for the car's performance IMO.

25 more lb ft of torque is very noticeable in a car, now double that. Wowser.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41906.50
      03-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #77
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Excellent

Is there anything that would have contributed to a difference that you can think of?

Altitude
89 octane fuel
Other?
Yeah, I noticed that too but I'm not complaining. I only use 91 gas and it was in anaheim so not sure what the altitude was but it was high humidity today because it raining here and there in So Cal.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:59 AM   #78
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Excellent

Altitude
89 octane fuel
Other?
Yeah, I noticed that too but I'm not complaining. I only use 91 gas and it was in anaheim so not sure what the altitude was but it was high humidity today because it raining here and there in So Cal.
Awwwww man, I missed this today lol. Car is looking clean!
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 01:58 AM   #79
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't dyno jets under estimate power a little? I only ask because my xDrive stock ran 308 at the wheels with Insoric.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #80
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Excellent

Altitude
89 octane fuel
Other?
Quote:
Dinan numbers/charts are at the crank so apply a 12-13% drivetrain loss (or 15% if you like) and the numbers shown at the wheels on the dyno line up pretty closely to what we report. The one relatively large difference is this was done with 91 octane whereas our testing was with 93. The maxes actually line up nearly perfectly (a bit surprising given the octane difference)... the baseline though is a bit low compared to what we had on our averaged test vehicles. Again, octane can probably explain that difference though.

Regardless, looks like the OP has a strong running car and I hopefully the butt dyno approves --- with a +70 HP / 55 TRQ on the dyno sheet I think it would be hard not to. =)
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50
      03-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #81
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Dinan numbers/charts are at the crank so apply a 12-13% drivetrain loss (or 15% if you like) and the numbers shown at the wheels on the dyno line up pretty closely to what we report. The one relatively large difference is this was done with 91 octane whereas our testing was with 93. The maxes actually line up nearly perfectly (a bit surprising given the octane difference)... the baseline though is a bit low compared to what we had on our averaged test vehicles. Again, octane can probably explain that difference though.

Regardless, looks like the OP has a strong running car and I hopefully the butt dyno approves --- with a +70 HP / 55 TRQ on the dyno sheet I think it would be hard not to. =)
Soooooo

How about that exhaust

Still looking at end of the month?

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #82
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Soooooo

How about that exhaust

Still looking at end of the month?
In theory, yes. May be the first week of April but yeah...
Appreciate 3
jpnh1423.50
BPAC30689.00
AlexM240i101.50
      03-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #83
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't dyno jets under estimate power a little? I only ask because my xDrive stock ran 308 at the wheels with Insoric.
DynoJet brand dyno's are always higher reading dynos.
Mainly performance companies use a Mustang or Dynodynamics for building the software and use the Dynojet for advertisment.
Of course this argument goes back and forth but "tuners" will admit this and say that dyno jet always read high.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1336949

Read this link about VF explaining their 2 dynos being used and why.
Appreciate 2
SCCThree813.00
Joe2402923.50
      03-23-2017, 12:39 AM   #84
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
Mainly performance companies use a Mustang or Dynodynamics for building the software and use the Dynojet for advertisment.
Of course this argument goes back and forth but "tuners" will admit this and say that dyno jet always read high.

Thanks schnell for the link. Definitely informative.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #85
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
The maxes actually line up nearly perfectly (a bit surprising given the octane difference)... the baseline though is a bit low compared to what we had on our averaged test vehicles. Again, octane can probably explain that difference though.
Agreed. The baseline is interesting as it's showing a little less HP power than a typical stock M235 on a Dynojet Torque is where I'd expect it for a B58, perhaps dropping a bit quicker than what I've seen. Maybe it was the 91 octane on that run.

Dynojets are pretty damn consistent whether you're dynoing on one LA or NY assuming the operator is correcting for standard conditions and doing some smoothing. You can't manipulate much of anything on a Dynojet and it's an extremely simple dyno device.

What's interesting is the Dinan Stage 1 M240 Dynojet plot, shape, and numbers look eerily similar to the Dinan Stage II M235 Dynojet plots out there. The B58 still takes the cake in heat management though.

Last edited by XutvJet; 03-24-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #86
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post

Dynojet's don't read "high", it's just the numbers it calculates. That's it and it doesn't mean the number aren't legit.

The advantage of load-based dynos like a Mustang dyno is that you can vary the load to simulate real-world conditions like going up a steep grade in a tall gear and low rpm (high heavy load), brake the dyno down to make the motor feel like it's towing, etc. By varying the loads, the tuner can better tune the motor to keep itself from blowing up in real world conditions and idiot driver situations like going full throttle at 1,500 rpms with a small displacement gasoline turbo motor in 5th gear.

Dynojets are great for measuring all out power. They're not good at all for tuning.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 06:01 AM   #87
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
The maxes actually line up nearly perfectly (a bit surprising given the octane difference)... the baseline though is a bit low compared to what we had on our averaged test vehicles. Again, octane can probably explain that difference though.
Agreed. The baseline is interesting as it's showing a little less HP power than a typical stock M235 on a Dynojet Torque is where I'd expect it for a B58, perhaps dropping a bit quicker than what I've seen. Maybe it was the 91 octane on that run.

Dynojets are pretty damn consistent whether you're dynoing on one LA or NY assuming the operator is correcting for standard conditions and doing some smoothing. You can't manipulate much of anything on a Dynojet and it's an extremely simple dyno device.

What's interesting is the Dinan Stage 1 M240 Dynojet plot, shape, and numbers look eerily similar to the Dinan Stage II M235 Dynojet plots out there. The B58 still takes the cake in heat management though.
Yeah, N55 overheating in my 435 and buddy's m2 is real
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #88
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Dynojet's don't read "high", it's just the numbers it calculates. That's it and it doesn't mean the number aren't legit.

The advantage of load-based dynos like a Mustang dyno is that you can vary the load to simulate real-world conditions like going up a steep grade in a tall gear and low rpm (high heavy load), brake the dyno down to make the motor feel like it's towing, etc. By varying the loads, the tuner can better tune the motor to keep itself from blowing up in real world conditions and idiot driver situations like going full throttle at 1,500 rpms with a small displacement gasoline turbo motor in 5th gear.

Dynojets are great for measuring all out power. They're not good at all for tuning.

Ok, how about DynoJet reads higher then a Mustang...because they do read higher then most brand dyno's
Appreciate 0