THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Vorshlag camber plates installed

03-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #199
SpudGT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Sometimes internal valving noise can be heard as clunk through camber plates.
I guess I wasn't fully prepared for the symphony of noises that spherical bearing camber plates will transmit, especially when used with a stock suspension. The manufactures tend to describe it as 'increased road noise'.

In my case I would describe the noises as very 'mechanical' rattles or tapping (in addition to more road noise). I have spent a fair amout of time looking for something wonky with my front suspension, but everything appears OK. Maybe it's my drive shafts, strut valving, end links, or who knows what. Any noise the front suspension makes seems to be transmitted through the spherical bearings to the chassis ... which makes sense given the nature of the beast.

Several folks have written about rattling noises after installing camber plates (various brands, mostly on stock suspensions). I think rwalker has installed every camber plate known to mankind (more than once); perhaps I am finally starting to understand why he says these sorts of noises are typical of any spherical bearing camber plate on our cars.

Hoping someone develops decent camber plates for us that are biased more towards street use. My daily driver doesn't see a ton of motorsports action, so I am willing to give up a little performance to eliminate some of the noises.
Appreciate 1
DaFish156.50
      04-02-2018, 12:27 AM   #200
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudGT View Post
I guess I wasn't fully prepared for the symphony of noises that spherical bearing camber plates will transmit, especially when used with a stock suspension. The manufactures tend to describe it as 'increased road noise'.

In my case I would describe the noises as very 'mechanical' rattles or tapping (in addition to more road noise). I have spent a fair amout of time looking for something wonky with my front suspension, but everything appears OK. Maybe it's my drive shafts, strut valving, end links, or who knows what. Any noise the front suspension makes seems to be transmitted through the spherical bearings to the chassis ... which makes sense given the nature of the beast.

Several folks have written about rattling noises after installing camber plates (various brands, mostly on stock suspensions). I think rwalker has installed every camber plate known to mankind (more than once); perhaps I am finally starting to understand why he says these sorts of noises are typical of any spherical bearing camber plate on our cars.

Hoping someone develops decent camber plates for us that are biased more towards street use. My daily driver doesn't see a ton of motorsports action, so I am willing to give up a little performance to eliminate some of the noises.
That is the nature of camber plates. Race car parts for street use.

The short stack height makes it tough for manufacturers to add any features that may reduce noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #201
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:

I have tried to capture the sound in a couple videos, but it's not the same as being in the car. Anyone recognize these suspension noises?

Wow, this is just a show stopper for me for a daily driver... my wife would never get back in the car.

Is this really normal? It sounds like the top nut isn't fully down like the Vorshlag video was showing, but you said you used an impact wrench.

Vorshlag - if you are listening, is this really "normal" ? Is this what we can expect? Is there still work that is being done to remove this?

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #202
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

No noise with the KW top hats/coilover combo, for me. Sucks you guys are still dealing with this, after all of this time.. But it seems all of the vendors have tried to do what they can to remedy the noise, but as said, with the stock strut design, it will be almost impossible.
      05-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #203
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Wow, this is just a show stopper for me for a daily driver... my wife would never get back in the car.

Is this really normal? It sounds like the top nut isn't fully down like the Vorshlag video was showing, but you said you used an impact wrench.

Vorshlag - if you are listening, is this really "normal" ? Is this what we can expect? Is there still work that is being done to remove this?
Have you double check to make sure the top nuts and endlinks are tight?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #204
SpudGT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Yup, it's normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Have you double check to make sure the top nuts and endlinks are tight?
In my case I am positive that the top nuts and endlinks were tight. I spent some time talking with Vorshlag to verify the installation process and do some trouble shooting. I even took my car into a local shop to have things checked out. Besides the noises, everything appeared to be OK.

At that point I decided to do an experiment ... I installed a set of Ground Control camber plates. The noises they made were almost identical to the Vorshlag camber plates.

I am finally comfortable with the fact that spherical bearing based camber plates will make some odd noises on my car. I need the camber, so the plates stay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DaFish156.50
      05-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #205
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my case I am positive that the top nuts and endlinks were tight. I spent some time talking with Vorshlag to verify the installation process and do some trouble shooting. I even took my car into a local shop to have things checked out. Besides the noises, everything appeared to be OK.

At that point I decided to do an experiment ... I installed a set of Ground Control camber plates. The noises they made were almost identical to the Vorshlag camber plates.

I am finally comfortable with the fact that spherical bearing based camber plates will make some odd noises on my car. I need the camber, so the plates stay.
You will definitely get an increase in NVH. Road noise is much more apparent.

Something that most people don't realize is that with camber plates, valving noise inside of the struts can now be heard and sometimes that is a clunk with no rubber OEM mounts.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #206
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
have you guys every tried these?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=8

These seem to add a rubber insulation and the OP on the thread said the BC coilovers were fixed after this. I am not sure how much of it was fixed. I'll see if he wants to join this thread.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0