THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Bright affordable LED lights for your BMW 2 Series, DIY

02-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #23
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMiniM3 View Post
Trying to interpret this correctly. I see you listed all the codes for each bulb and there respective color, but what's confusing me is the 3 codes you list..are you required to purchase two of each code listed in your list or are those just the three options we can use in our cars that work? When I click the links they only show that you can purchase from your list of codes the 7507 for amber and the 1156 for white and red. So that being said can I just buy the number you listed for each section in those two codes and be good to go?
I listed the three codes because they are all correct. Sites may list any one of those compatible codes. The front turn signals (7507) have a different socket configuration from the rear bulbs (1156) which have the same socket configuration. The codes have nothing to do with bulb color.

Update: My LEDs are still going strong, I'm glad I bought them. As I mentioned before, all LEDs no matter where you buy them will show a bulb check flash when the car is turned on as well as a quick flicker when the car periodically checks the bulb. I coded out the bulb check with an android app called "Carly for BMW" which worked great and is easy to use. There is still one brake light bulb on each side that does the check every 30 seconds, the rest of the bulbs are flicker free now. Carly has promised to update their coding software to include the 3rd brake light bulb. If Carly doesn't fix their software for the 2 series to include the third brake bulb I will be forced to manually code it out.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 02-18-2017 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #24
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I coded out the bulb check with an android app called "Carly for BMW" which worked great and is easy to use. There is still one brake light bulb on each side that does the check every 30 seconds, the rest of the bulbs are flicker free now. Carly has promised to update their coding software to include the 3rd brake light bulb. If Carly doesn't fix their software for the 2 series to include the third brake bulb I will be forced to manually code it out.[/QUOTE]

Just looked up this app... It looks awesome. Do you need the Carly specific Bluetooth dongle or can you use anyone? What have you coded so far with it?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #25
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
I coded out the bulb check with an android app called "Carly for BMW" which worked great and is easy to use. There is still one brake light bulb on each side that does the check every 30 seconds, the rest of the bulbs are flicker free now. Carly has promised to update their coding software to include the 3rd brake light bulb. If Carly doesn't fix their software for the 2 series to include the third brake bulb I will be forced to manually code it out.
Just looked up this app... It looks awesome. Do you need the Carly specific Bluetooth dongle or can you use anyone? What have you coded so far with it?[/QUOTE]
You will need to get the new version of their dongle. It is really easy to code with Carly. I know the menus now so I can go through and tweak my settings in just a few minutes. I don't have a list of codes that I've changed, like I said it is so quick that you can experiment with the settings. Some of the tweaks I remember are: door handle lights up in reverse; courtesy lights (unlock car) include halo, turn signal, door, tail, and brake lights then coded them all to stay on for 2 minutes; turn signal short interval is 5 flashes now instead of 3; (just for fun) I have M2 in the dash display, just when you enter the car, then it goes back to M235i; of course I coded out the bulb voltage check; those are just a few that I remember off hand.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 02-20-2017 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #26
urke85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M Competition

Hello

Did have anyone problem with front indicators, i had orginal bulbs that i want to swap for LED, but when we swap the LEDS didnt work. Did have anyone the same issue? It should work without coding?
When we swap rear original lights for LCI LED they work instalntly but there was warning notification and we did coding and then worked with no problems.

Does enyone know what to do in front to work indicators correctly?
I have these leds: https://www.superstrela.com/led-sija...-z-uporom.html

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #27
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

As per my original post, these are the ones I bought. They are very bright and have never hyper flashed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231759398547...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #28
urke85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
As per my original post, these are the ones I bought. They are very bright and have never hyper flashed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231759398547...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Ok, but you done coding first or you just put the leds in and they work without trouble?

Tnx
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #29
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urke85 View Post
Ok, but you done coding first or you just put the leds in and they work without trouble?

Tnx
The front turn signals work without hyperflash, no coding was necessary . The rear brake lights had the system test flicker. All LEDs will have the test flicker with the brake lights, the stock incandescent bulbs react too slowly to show it. I used Carly to code out the rear brake lights system test. Unfortunately Carly never fixed their app to code the 3rd brake light on the outside of the 2 series so until I code the car manually I use the stock bulb on the outer most socket. You can use the rear LEDs without coding but personally I didn't want any flicker to draw attention form the PoPo. Without coding, the flicker happens with every rear brake bulb at about a 20 or 30 second interval.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #30
robman23
Private
Rep
Drives: M235

FYI on the ones I installed. Make sure they are installed all the way. The error code I received from a loose LED.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #31
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB

Alps, which one you recommend for the rear turn signal since I have the euro taillights with the amber color lenses?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #32
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

The Sirius red LED bulbs that I used for the rear turn signals are available in yellow too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0105LW466...ing=UTF8&psc=1.
I tried them on my car, the yellow still came out red because of the red lens. If you don't have a red lens then they should work fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #33
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 04:18 AM   #34
urke85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I bougt these and they work great! thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #35
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urke85 View Post
I bougt these and they work great! thanks
Yep, gt.inthebox has good LEDs also, I tried a few from them. Personally, I prefer to order from Amazon since returns are so easy, that's why I bought Sirius.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #36
Nbturbos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Anyone have luck coding the lights with E-sys? Just ordered all the LEDs for the rear and having the light out indicator on the dash or the lights flicker for testing will probably drive me mad.

Thanks!
      04-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #37
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
My car is a 2016 M235i, I replaced the turn signal, brake and back up bulbs with LED lights.

The bulb codes on each line are all correct. Different sites may use any or all of the codes as a description, that is why they are all listed.

Front turn signal: two pieces, 1156PY, 7507, BAU15s (amber)

Rear turn signal: two pieces, 1156, 7506, BA15s (red)
Rear Brake lights: six pieces, 1156, 7506, BA15S, (red)
Rear Backup lights: two pieces,1156, 7506, BA15s (white)

That is a total of twelve LED lights that I installed that cost less than $140. I evaluated several lights from different vendors. The latest 2835 LED chips are bright and efficient, they are also mounted on aluminum circuit boards instead of fiberglass.

Rear lights: 1156, BA15S, 7506

White lights will work at the rear of the car since they illuminate through colored plastic, but I like the look of the red LEDs, they emit a very rich red color similar to factory installed BMW LED lights. I bought the red ones for the brake and rear turn signal lights along with white LEDs for the rear backup lights from here (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._st_dp_summary or here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), they are for the rear of the car 1156, BA15S, 7506 and will not fit in the front turn signal socket. These lights are much brighter than the stock bulbs, there has been no error messages or hyper flash with my car. Amazon has an easy return policy and free two day shipping in the US for Prime members.

I tried a few different amber lights for the rear turn signals, only one type that I tested was able to emit a convincing amber color through the red plastic lens, all the others still looked orange/red. The 50 watt amber Cree bulb illuminated a strong amber color but it wasn't as bright as the 2835 red LEDs that I used for the brake lights. I decided that I preferred the deep red over amber for the rear turn signals. The new BMW 4,5,6 and 7 series I've seen in the US come with red LED turn signal lights at the rear. This is where I bought the amber rear lights http://www.ebay.com/itm/172185266736...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

Front turn signal: 1156PY, 7507, BAU15s

I think the front turn signals should by law emit amber light. I bought these LED lights on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/231759398547...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ), these are for the front turn signals only 1156PY, 7507, BAU15s. The lights are much brighter than stock and have a nice appearance. The silver finish of the LEDs look good through the clear head light lenses. I haven't had any error messages or hyper flash with these lights. I was unsuccessful at finding a US source for these. Although the vendor is in China, the purchase is made through ebay in the US using PayPal, they shipped to me in 7 days from the time that I ordered to delivery. I returned a set that I didn't use, they were very professional and gave me a full refund.

Sirius from Amazon offered to give me a bulk forum discount. If someone wants to negotiate a group discount with Sirius, they are open to the idea. The prices are already pretty good compared to other purchase options that have been posted in other threads, but why not try for a % discount?

All LED lights do the quick "light show" which is the car checking the bulbs on startup, I've seen a video that shows it somewhere on this forum. It's harmless and is in fact kinda cool. The only slightly annoying thing about LED lights in our cars is a single flicker when the car periodically checks the lights, it is hardly noticeable and can apparently be coded out. I haven't done it yet, it's not a high priority and can wait until I do a major coding day.

I have no affiliation with any sources that I mentioned.

Installation instructions:

Tools needed
10mm socket, flat blade screwdriver, soft cloth to protect signal lens
Attachment 1473272

Push on the tabs to release the door behind the front turn signal.
Attachment 1473277
Attachment 1473278

Reach through the hole, turn the light socket counter clockwise.
The front BAU15S bulbs have a 150 degree pin offset, so the new LEDs can be screwed into the socket only one way. Push down on the bulb and turn to release it.
Attachment 1473279

Tail light removal
Remove the two 10mm nuts. There is a third rubber friction fit pin which will need a little jiggling to break it loose. On my car one side was easy to pull out and the other side not so much. Once the housing is dislodged, hold it with both hands rolling it up and slightly tilted to the side, be careful not to scratch the paint on the bumber. You might want to apply some Duct tape around the bumper rim. If it is done correctly the housing will not scrape on the bumper, it will just roll out and away from the car, don't force it.
You'll probably need a screwdriver to release the lock pin before unplugging the wire.
Attachment 1473292
Attachment 1473294

Place the tail light assembly face down on a soft cloth. The tabs around the bulb plate are strong, pry them out to release the pins.
Attachment 1473311
Attachment 1473304

Install the new LEDs
These BA15S lights have a 180 degree pin configuration, they can be rotated and screwed in either way.
Attachment 1473298
Attachment 1473305

Reassemble, enjoy your bright and colorful LEDs

I took a few pics with my phone. The LEDs are the brighter of the lights shown in all the photo/videos. Unfortunately it is impossible to show how good they look with such limited image quality, the bright light just blows out the highlights. I decided to take another pic inside the garage with the light reflecting off of the door. These lights are a nice deep red compared to the original orange/red of the incandescent bulbs which doesn't properly show up in the pics. The LEDs really are much brighter than the stock bulbs. They are also safer because there is no lag in illumination. I think it's a crime that a $50,000. car is still being shipped with incandescent bulbs.
Sorry about the awful phone pics.

Attachment 1473368
Attachment 1473369
The rear lights don't seem to be labeled as "error free". Is that not an issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #38
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

If they are the same ones that I recommended then they should be fine. Mine are working perfectly. I coded out the bulb check flicker but Carly the coding app that I used, doesn't code out the outermost brake light on each side so I eventually reinstalled the original incandescent bulb in that position until I do a manual coding session.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #39
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If they are the same ones that I recommended then they should be fine. Mine are working perfectly. I coded out the bulb check flicker but Carly the coding app that I used, doesn't code out the outermost brake light on each side so I eventually reinstalled the original incandescent bulb in that position until I do a manual coding session.
I can code it out manually so that's no issue. The two bulbs you linked look the same but way different price, which did you use? Both don't have enough in stock to order so I was looking for alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #40
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
I can code it out manually so that's no issue. The two bulbs you linked look the same but way different price, which did you use? Both don't have enough in stock to order so I was looking for alternatives.
These are the ones that I ended up using.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0105LW466...ing=UTF8&psc=1
They come in pairs so they are about $11. each.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #41
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0105LW466...ing=UTF8&psc=1
I see what you mean...The other ones used to be about the same price. You could just try the cheaper ones since it is amazon prime, you can return them if they don't work out.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #42
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0105LW466...UTF8&psc=1
I see what you mean...The other ones used to be about the same price. You could just try the cheaper ones since it is amazon prime, you can return them if they don't work out.
I think you are right. The cheaper one seems to be only open bulb (although it's only one per order). I ended up ordering the last 2 $8 ones for the rear turn signals with two separate orders and the same bulb but different brand in white for reverse lights. I also got ijdmtoy for front turns. I'm gonna try it and make sure they work then might order the $22 ones for the rest since the cheaper ones don't know when they will have more in stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #43
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think you are right. The cheaper one seems to be only open bulb (although it's only one per order). I ended up ordering the last 2 $8 ones for the rear turn signals with two separate orders and the same bulb but different brand in white for reverse lights. I also got ijdmtoy for front turns. I'm gonna try it and make sure they work then might order the $22 ones for the rest since the cheaper ones don't know when they will have more in stock.
It seems like I remember the Sirius bulbs being a little brighter. I really wanted the brake lights to be LED for looks and safety (my car stops fast), they have very little lag unlike incandescent bulbs. I also coded the brake light pulse on hard braking, it works great.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #44
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It seems like I remember the Sirius bulbs being a little brighter. I really wanted the brake lights to be LED for looks and safety (my car stops fast), they have very little lag unlike incandescent bulbs. I also coded the brake light pulse on hard braking, it works great.
I have the 3rd brake light pulse for hard breaking (I'm guessing that's what you are referring to) but the two that you posted are both the same bulbs just rebranded. Even same images used and I checked Aliexpress they are on there with the same specs and images. The white ones I found are actually similar but not exactly the same they are 3030 LEDS not 2835. Let's hope they work the same since they look like they are probably built exactly the same. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751BJMB9..._BZ51Ab5NNX6P6
Appreciate 0