THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning B58 Dinan Sport vs Stage 1

05-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #23
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

do either of these tunes remove the top speed limiter?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #24
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTabletop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
Do you want to fool the car or have the car know exactly what to do when you want it to? That's the difference. I've had the Stage 1 for almost a year and although I've had a few issues, I wouldn't take it out for anything else. Great product, and a great company. They've stepped up with a warranty issue and the car had been running like a champ ever since.
What issues did you run into?
Had to have both the tuning ecu and Dinan wiring harness replaced under warranty. They were causing CEL's. Dinan was pretty good about the whole thing and my dealer that did the install gave ,e nice loaners while it was out of service.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #25
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Had to have both the tuning ecu and Dinan wiring harness replaced under warranty. They were causing CEL's. Dinan was pretty good about the whole thing and my dealer that did the install gave ,e nice loaners while it was out of service.
was your replacement done in two stages, with the ECU Unit first, then you threw CELs, then the wiring harness, now everything is ok?

My ECU unit has been replaced, with everything being fine for 6 wks, but now this weekend I am throwing CELs again, and am wondering if the wiring harness is defective as well
      05-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #26
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
Quote:
was your replacement done in two stages, with the ECU Unit first, then you threw CELs, then the wiring harness, now everything is ok?

My ECU unit has been replaced, with everything being fine for 6 wks, but now this weekend I am throwing CELs again, and am wondering if the wiring harness is defective as well
Correct. Two stages. ECU, still threw CEL's, and then wiring harness.
Appreciate 1
nikman011174.50
      05-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #27
thezelies
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40I 2017 M240i vert

Dinan and CELS

I have a 2017 M240i with the Dinan Stage 1 ~7k miles. Last year at 3k miles I got a CEL which the dealer (who installed the Dinan) decided to replace an intake pressure sensor and reset the ECUs (which wiped out my coding grrrrr). Last week I get another CEL, dealer claims it's due to the tune. The dealer seems stumped. Are others getting CELS from the tune? While I have lots of mods, the only other engine mod is the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #28
thezelies
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

mblaucoupe135

mblaucoupe135 - no the tune does not remove the limiter. It just gets you to the limiter a lot faster!

Last edited by thezelies; 05-17-2018 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: early submit
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #29
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezelies View Post
I have a 2017 M240i with the Dinan Stage 1 ~7k miles. Last year at 3k miles I got a CEL which the dealer (who installed the Dinan) decided to replace an intake pressure sensor and reset the ECUs (which wiped out my coding grrrrr). Last week I get another CEL, dealer claims it's due to the tune. The dealer seems stumped. Are others getting CELS from the tune? While I have lots of mods, the only other engine mod is the MPE.
Well if you disable the tune does the CEL go away?

If not, then it is not the tune!

Seems like a simple test your dealer should have conducted.

You can test it yourself by just loading up the app and selecting bypass.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #30
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezelies View Post
Well if you disable the tune does the CEL go away?

If not, then it is not the tune!

Seems like a simple test your dealer should have conducted.

You can test it yourself by just loading up the app and selecting bypass.
You can still throw communication faults with the tuner in BYPASS, because no matter what, the connections are still an interceptor. I am on my second Tune unit, throwing faults, waiting for dealer/Dinan to straighten out.

EDIT - ADDED:

I should know more tomorrow
      05-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #31
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
You can still throw communication faults with the tuner in BYPASS, because no matter what, the connections are still an interceptor. I am on my second Tune unit, throwing faults, waiting for dealer/Dinan to straighten out.

EDIT - ADDED:

I should know more tomorrow
I hope I dont run into that issue.

I've had my Dinan Stage 1 since February and not CEL's yet.

It will be interesting to see how your situation turns out.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #32
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My guess is that you are good to go, and that my wiring harness is shot.
      05-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #33
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTabletop View Post
Interesting. What was the holiday pricing like?
Don't remember for sure, but I think it ~15% off.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #34
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

I also had some issues recently.
Misses, hesitation and a drive-train malfunction message on the i-Drive.
But oddly, no CEL. I ran a scan with my Carly and there were numerous engine fault codes.
Brought it to my dealer (also the Dinan dealer). They kept it for a day or 2 and gave me loaner. Said they reconnected everything, drove it and now there were no more codes. Gave it back to me and told me to bring it back if I had any more issues. It felt ok, I guess, on the way home. Next day I scanned it and the fault codes were back. Brought it back to them, they kept it for another couple of days and this time they said Dinan told them to apply dielectric grease to all the connections and try it again. They said they did and there were no more codes. Gave it back to me again. I've been driving it for a week or so and no codes yet. Fingers crossed...

These issues haven't cost me anything and the dealer's been good about it, but it's a hassle I'd rather not have. I never had any issues with the APR flash tunes I always had on my VW GTIs.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #35
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So Dinan is sending out a brand new unit, TUNE and WIRING HARNESS, so basically Tuner#3 for me. It will arrive next week, so will give an update once it happens.

As always, Dinan_Engineering and the dealer handle it fine, taking care of everything. Gonna pick up my car this afternoon, sans defective tuner, and then bring the car back in when the new Unit arrives.
      05-18-2018, 07:03 PM   #36
thezelies
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Dinan CEL

That is correct - bypass will not work, you must remove the entire harness. Going to bypass was the first thing I did, the CEL remained. It appears to be a harness issue also. The dealer knows how to troubleshoot of course, the reason why they were stumped is because there is nothing obviously wrong. Dinan and the dealer are cooperating and they are replacing at least the harnesss. I have now heard multiple stories about harness issues, hopefully Dinan has corrected the issue. As an aside, my loaner is a new X54.0e. Fun to drive a different BMW and at first (it's been a week) I enjoyed the newness. Now however, my god what a tank. Its huge and drives huge. I miss my vert.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #37
pickle rick
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

i think shundel has a video up on youtube about this same issue. maybe he could give an update on how things are going?

i hope it's been taken care of...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 01:24 AM   #38
Bimmerguy3988
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i grand coupe m sport

Garage List
I’m currently running on mppsk + dinansports stage 1. At first i was satisfied with how smooth it ran and the increase in torque but didn’t see a consistent increase in whp. I would cap at 380 and then drop down back to 357-360. Looking into mission tuning stage 2, apparently they think they can get my 440 to hit 400 whp consistently on the dyno. We shall see !
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #39
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Going to pick my car up today, been at the dealer this past week with a CEL.

They told me something about a faulty charge pressure sensor, I'll post back with specifics when I get the paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #40
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

Something is definitely up with my dinan stage 1.

Sometimes the car feels lifeless and sometimes it feel great.

I've noticed sometimes my app cannot find the dinan module and sometimes it can.

I'm not getting any CEL lights.

I think maybe there is something wrong with the dinan module itself, like sometimes it powers on and sometimes it does not.

Not sure what to do but I will contact dinan today.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #41
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Have stage 1, recently was towed to BMW because drivetrain malfunction. Initial though by service was the throttle body failed. Now they found metal shards in engine, so the engine will likely be replaced.

Get elite, not sport. The warranty helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #42
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My car has returned to its normal self I believe.

Maybe the ECU needed to re-calibrate after being worked on, maybe it was bad gas, or maybe it was the 110 degree temperatures making it feel down on power.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #43
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

CELs have returned (last week july, first week august -- currently been on for 3 days now), this is tuner #3 (installed late May of 2018), having it removed from my vehicle, ... done with Dinan tuners, .... or tuners for that matter, back to stock, .... well, keeping my midpipe, exhaust, & suspension though, cause they rock and dont cause problems