THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Stage 2 Stage 3

11-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #23
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
Yea, I get it. It's nice to finally have the means to be the cool kid on the block once and a while. I would go for the exhaust. I really like the sounds mine make.
I just want to be clear, I have ALWAYS been the cool kid on my block, .... my neighbors (that now wake up every morning to the sweet sound of my exhaust), TOTAL LOSERS!
      11-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #24
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
...I don't put many miles on as I'm retired and use it for some shopping, dinners out and the occasional pleasure drive. I don't have 4K miles on the car and it will be 1 year old in December (in about 30 days). At this rate if I kept the car for 10 years, it wouldn't have 40K miles on it. ...
Off topic, so apologies in advance.
WOW! We got ours at the same time and I already have 10K on mine! I've already had the first service done.
Taking delivery at the Performance Center and a trip north to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway and other roads in the Smokies which ended with a visit to my brother in DC really added to the miles. But it was SOOOOOOOOO nice driving the car on the types of roads it was meant to be driven on.
BTW, I'll be at the CCA FSC chapter event at Sebring on 02 Dec. We're going to do a parade lap on the track during "Pistons & Props". Should be a fun day. Hopefully see you there.

OK, back on topic.
I have the Dinan Sport module and a K&N air filter now (400+HP/450+TQ @ crank), but when Dian releases their Stage 2 package, I'll look into it and may get it. The car is quite fast already, so I certainly don't 'need' it. But, we'll see...
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #25
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Off topic, so apologies in advance.
WOW! We got ours at the same time and I already have 10K on mine! I've already had the first service done.
Taking delivery at the Performance Center and a trip north to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway and other roads in the Smokies which ended with a visit to my brother in DC really added to the miles. But it was SOOOOOOOOO nice driving the car on the types of roads it was meant to be driven on.
BTW, I'll be at the CCA FSC chapter event at Sebring on 02 Dec. We're going to do a parade lap on the track during "Pistons & Props". Should be a fun day. Hopefully see you there.

OK, back on topic.
I have the Dinan Sport module and a K&N air filter now (400+HP/450+TQ @ crank), but when Dian releases their Stage 2 package, I'll look into it and may get it. The car is quite fast already, so I certainly don't 'need' it. But, we'll see...
Off Topic-

Yeah, not a high mileage driver. We have tuned Mini Cooper that get about 8-10K put on it (as we use it make 200 mile round trip to a cabin we have near Sebring). Always have a load coming and going an we get near 40 MPG w/ that car (BMW is our around home car). Mini S w/ a JCW tune (next one will have a Dinan box on it instead) is a blast to drive. Maybe even a bit more than the M240i.

Peter, be careful on the parade lap at Sebring. A friend took his C7 around the track during an intermission on a race day and picked up so many "marbles" on his tires that when he got of the track and looked at his tires, he said they looked like they had an inch of mud caked on them. Tried to peel them off w/o much success. On his ride home he was hearing those marbles getting thrown around his wheel wells for many miles.

On Topic-

A stage 2 will replace your sport w/ an Elite tuner I think unless you just go w/ the exhaust only. Gotta say the elite tune really smoothed the car's normal operation out.

Not a big fan of exhausts. The stock one is fine and plenty loud for my tastes. Loud exhausts are attention getters for LE and annoyances for most other people IMO. I encountered a older 3 series w/ "rice burner" exhaust that was loud and annoying. Guessing the guy thought it was cool. Sorry but not in his "camp". I'll admit I do like a bit of the "Burbble and Fart" I get out of my Mini, but the high decibel "BRRRRRRAP" some exhausts make is just tedious IMO.

Exhaust HP gains are minusculet (maybe 9 HP which you can easily get w/ a lighter set of wheels and also better handling (talking WHP gain and not engine), so will likely skip the exhaust if I further tune my car. Interested in the stage 3 and the real gains it will provide. I suppose if I have to get the stage 2 to get the 3 I will, but would prefer to "cherry pick". the items I add.

Should be interesting to see how much this car can be tuned.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #26
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Off Topic-

Yeah, not a high mileage driver. We have tuned Mini Cooper that get about 8-10K put on it (as we use it make 200 mile round trip to a cabin we have near Sebring). Always have a load coming and going an we get near 40 MPG w/ that car (BMW is our around home car). Mini S w/ a JCW tune (next one will have a Dinan box on it instead) is a blast to drive. Maybe even a bit more than the M240i.

Peter, be careful on the parade lap at Sebring. A friend took his C7 around the track during an intermission on a race day and picked up so many "marbles" on his tires that when he got of the track and looked at his tires, he said they looked like they had an inch of mud caked on them. Tried to peel them off w/o much success. On his ride home he was hearing those marbles getting thrown around his wheel wells for many miles.

On Topic-

A stage 2 will replace your sport w/ an Elite tuner I think unless you just go w/ the exhaust only. Gotta say the elite tune really smoothed the car's normal operation out.

Not a big fan of exhausts. The stock one is fine and plenty loud for my tastes. Loud exhausts are attention getters for LE and annoyances for most other people IMO. I encountered a older 3 series w/ "rice burner" exhaust that was loud and annoying. Guessing the guy thought it was cool. Sorry but not in his "camp". I'll admit I do like a bit of the "Burbble and Fart" I get out of my Mini, but the high decibel "BRRRRRRAP" some exhausts make is just tedious IMO.

Exhaust HP gains are minusculet (maybe 9 HP which you can easily get w/ a lighter set of wheels and also better handling (talking WHP gain and not engine), so will likely skip the exhaust if I further tune my car. Interested in the stage 3 and the real gains it will provide. I suppose if I have to get the stage 2 to get the 3 I will, but would prefer to "cherry pick". the items I add.

Should be interesting to see how much this car can be tuned.
Off topic.
Similarly, my wife's car is a 2012 GTI with an APR intake and ECU flash. That's our 'utility' car.
I did a parade lap last time I was at Sebring with the club and yes, I did get a lot of crap on my tires, but it was worth it.

On topic.
For me, the Dinan Stage 2 would be the elite piggyback w/ stage 2 software and the intake. I don't want the full Dinan exhaust. I did the Dinan mid-pipe and LOVE IT! More sound (pops and gurgles), without annoying noise. It's the stock exhaust, just better.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #27
DailySleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Off topic.
Similarly, my wife's car is a 2012 GTI with an APR intake and ECU flash. That's our 'utility' car.
I did a parade lap last time I was at Sebring with the club and yes, I did get a lot of crap on my tires, but it was worth it.

On topic.
For me, the Dinan Stage 2 would be the elite piggyback w/ stage 2 software and the intake. I don't want the full Dinan exhaust. I did the Dinan mid-pipe and LOVE IT! More sound (pops and gurgles), without annoying noise. It's the stock exhaust, just better.
I agree with your theoretical Stage 2. I want midpipe over non-valved exhaust and I hope they offer a package that way. I also wouldn't mind if they built a package to include the springs/bump stops too.

With winter about here, I'm REALLY looking forward to spring and hopefully the official announcement. I'm not looking for telling my wife the price lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #28
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

So, while browsing the Internet, I stumbled upon a video of an M235i w/ the Stage 3 Dinan. Supposedly, 440 HP but that isn't the issue I'm having with what he was discussing as he drove the car. Bear in mind his was a pre-production version of the Dinan S3 for the M235i. So final the product may be different.

Comment that threw me was, the S3 power band isn't as flat as the stock BMW. From what I could gather, the install of the bigger turbo, changed the torque curve to come into play w/ higher RPM than stock. So in essence you have to be rolling at a higher speed (or have higher engine RPMS) to get the full effect of the torque produced.

I would much prefer to have the big torque numbers w/ lower RPM numbers than higher and remain reasonably flat across the power band.

Anyone know if adding a bigger turbo will move the torque numbers higher into the the RPM range?

Bummer if true and will likely steer me away from adding a stage 3 to my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #29
DailySleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

Quote:
So, while browsing the Internet, I stumbled upon a video of an M235i w/ the Stage 3 Dinan. Supposedly, 440 HP but that isn't the issue I'm having with what he was discussing as he drove the car. Bear in mind his was a pre-production version of the Dinan S3 for the M235i. So final the product may be different.

Comment that threw me was, the S3 power band isn't as flat as the stock BMW. From what I could gather, the install of the bigger turbo, changed the torque curve to come into play w/ higher RPM than stock. So in essence you have to be rolling at a higher speed (or have higher engine RPMS) to get the full effect of the torque produced.

I would much prefer to have the big torque numbers w/ lower RPM numbers than higher and remain reasonably flat across the power band.

Anyone know if adding a bigger turbo will move the torque numbers higher into the the RPM range?

Generally, a bigger turbo needs more exhaust flow to spool the compressor to produce the boost. A bigger turbo can handle more boost safer. Higher RPMs = more exhaust flow. Smaller turbos spool quickly down low, but will max out the power they can add.

Generally.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #30
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailySleeper View Post
Generally, a bigger turbo needs more exhaust flow to spool the compressor to produce the boost. A bigger turbo can handle more boost safer. Higher RPMs = more exhaust flow. Smaller turbos spool quickly down low, but will max out the power they can add.

Generally.
Thanks, makes sense. I can see a Stage 3 being more usable on a track especially at higher speeds where more power is needed. For around town and quick bursts of speed down low, stock turbo would likely be more practical.

Drat!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #31
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:

440 crank, which is less than 390 whp. if you do a TCO/ROI, youll get more power by just buying a dp and a flash tune, and save about 6 grand.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #32
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Wanting to keep warranty in place for the time I have the car, so Dinan Stage 1 is likely as far as i will take this car. Still very fast for me.

Next go-round, maybe an M2 (if they do something more w/ the motor to put some distance between it and the M240i straight line acceleration).

or (other side of the spectrum)

Maybe a 440i in Tanzanite Blue/w Venetian Beige (man I do love that exterior color) and a Dinan Elite tune. Yes, will be taking a performance hit from what I have now, but a bump up in classiness.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #33
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Dinan_Engineering So... Any idea when the intake is going to be released for the M240i? You guys have been pretty quiet about it. Looking forward to stage 2!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #34
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Pilot View Post
Dinan_Engineering So... Any idea when the intake is going to be released for the M240i? You guys have been pretty quiet about it. Looking forward to stage 2!
I answer when asked but nothing really to say about it until a firm release date is here. Still should be a Q1 2018 release. I was hoping for January but since the molds aren't complete to my knowledge it doesn't look like that is realistic. =(
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #35
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
I answer when asked but nothing really to say about it until a firm release date is here. Still should be a Q1 2018 release. I was hoping for January but since the molds aren't complete to my knowledge it doesn't look like that is realistic. =(
Thanks for the quick response. I'll keep checking your website for updates. Happy holidays!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #36
titus98
Registered
Rep
Drives: m235 convertible

Dinan_Engineering
Just checking in on this. I'm assuming the move pushed back the release date?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #37
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus98 View Post
Dinan_Engineering
Somebody emailed Dinan recently... Looks like May.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461030
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #38
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus98 View Post
Dinan_Engineering
I was on the phone with Dinan last night, around 5PM, and they said sometime in the middle of the year they will be releasing a bunch of stuff

AND in reference to stage 3, they told me there will not be an intercooler, possibly a heat exchanger, and as far as a larger turbo, they are a few years away from that

Last edited by nikman011; 03-22-2018 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: added STAGE 3 info
Appreciate 0