THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Elite (M240i)

03-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #243
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby P View Post
Yes, I am disappointed that I got such a negative response from an Authorized Dinan dealer (Calgary BMW) - which on Dinan's own website lists this BMW dealer as an "Authorized dealer".

I can confirm that this dealer also stated that if I did get a Dinan tune installed, this particular dealership would not provide any support which comes with the BMW manufacturer's warranty. It seems they were receptive to Dinan a few years ago but in the past year and half have started to "Clamp down" on aftermarket tunes, I am not exactly sure why..? But I am assuming that management at the dealership has had too many issues with tunes and customers expecting BMW to honor this factory warranty...? Just speculating. My only option right now is to get a Dinan tune from another BMW dealer 300 Kms away, who has stated that they will honour BMW warranty with a Dinan Tune - but as I have stated before I do not feel comfortable getting the tune when my local dealers have not been receptive of it.

Yes, the M240i is a very quick car out of the box - but I just wanted to add this one tune out of an insane amount of curiosity. When I was speaking to one of the Service managers he did mention there may be an M power kit released for the M240 in the future, but he is not certain.
I'd still be apprehensive even going to the dealership 300kms away. Should you have an issue, that is a long way to travel for support. Based on what your local dealership has stated, they will hang you out to dry if you go to them for any warranty work if you add a Dinan tune.

I did check the Dinan site also and saw them listed as "authorized". Personally, I'd contact Dinan telephonically and explain to them the dealerships stance on their product. Dinan would be far better off breaking their relationship w/ that dealership. Again, it could be the Service Manager's stance against Dinan and not the dealership. Dinan needs to get that resolved one way or the other IMO.

The dealership shouldn't deny your warranty coverage for anything other than components that would be directly affected by the tune. However based on their stance w/ your questions, who knows. They could refuse a problem w/ your radio because of the tune.

As to the "power kit". I asked this question a while back when i was considering a tune for mine. Ideally, if BMW offered a MPPK for the M240i, that would be the safest (from a warranty perspective), but double or more the price of the Dinan. I had the JCW tune on my Mini (Mini version of the MPPK) and if purchased from the dealership at retail it was $3K installed. I was able to get a price match by my dealership and paid about $1800 installed. However I digress -

I put the question to the forum if we would see an MPPK for the M240i, and the consensus was that the M240i was a B58 w/ the MPPK already installed. Looking @ the HP and torque of the M240i compared to other BMW's w/ the B58, the bump ups in HP and torque look about what you'd expect w/ an MPPK installed on those other cars. So I would not anticipate a MPPK being offered for the M240i. If BMW did, it would likely surpass the M2's performance (which the Dinan tune does in straight line acceleration).

I do sympathize with you. Having your heart set on something and finding that so many roadblocks thrown up where there really shouldn't be. An itch that you just can't scratch is maddening. I would call Dinan at talk to their CS rep and explain your dilemma. If nothing else, you'll have some peace of mind knowing that the dealership will lose the Dinan Authorized status or perhaps on the outside chance the Service Manager is anti Dinan and the dealership owner is unaware.

Again, best of luck in your endeavor.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #244
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i/VW MK7.5 GTI

Thanks for your input and feedback, it is much appreciated. I will follow up with Dinan themselves and find out what is going on with their "Authorized dealers" status if the dealer themselves is not ready to stand behind a Dinan product.

Cheers,

Bobby
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #245
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Thanks for your input and feedback, it is much appreciated. I will follow up with Dinan themselves and find out what is going on with their "Authorized dealers" status if the dealer themselves is not ready to stand behind a Dinan product.

Cheers,

Bobby
Honestly I think you just talked to a real d_ck.

My dealer, who is a Dinan dealer, has brand new cars on the showroom floor completely decked out with Dinan exhausts, tunes, aero, etc... and they all have a fully backed warranty.

Heck, my dealer was trying to get me to buy more Dinan products than just the stage 1 tune, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #246
shundel
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Yes, the M240i is a very quick car out of the box - but I just wanted to add this one tune out of an insane amount of curiosity.
Took the words right out of my mouth!

When my CEL came on it was a real bummer thinking that the tune let me down after raving about "peace of mind" spending the extra money. I could have taken it to the Dinan dealer (whom the dealership recommended btw) that installed it but instead decided to go straight to the dealership. They gave me no issues at all so I don't see why it should differ for anyone else.

Like others have said here, it looks like the person you're dealing with is just a one-off kinda thing.
      03-09-2018, 12:09 AM   #247
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The key thing here is that the Dinan tune invalidates the BMW warranty on driveline parts (likely brake and suspension components too, due to increased stress on these parts with the extra power) so the dealer is quite right in saying that BMW will not cover failed parts in those areas. On the Stage 1 tune (not the Sport tune), Dinan will provide a substitute warranty, but they should also be expected to provide the coverage for any CEL or other diagnostic costs in the driveline when an issue arises, not BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 05:54 AM   #248
olehead
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I X drive

AFter reading all the posts above - I went to the owner of my dealership - BMW corporate signed a agreement with Dinan to sell and support their products. He did say that it was optional as whether a dealer chose to sell Dinan - but as to supporting the product in conjunction Dinan that was required. If it was me and I was having problems with a particular dealership I would contact corporate!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #249
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
AFter reading all the posts above - I went to the owner of my dealership - BMW corporate signed a agreement with Dinan to sell and support their products. He did say that it was optional as whether a dealer chose to sell Dinan - but as to supporting the product in conjunction Dinan that was required. If it was me and I was having problems with a particular dealership I would contact corporate!!
I contacted BMW corporate and they mentioned - to my understanding that they maintain a close relationship with Dinan and they support Dinan products. With regards to Warranty, I received following *Clarification*:

1. Your 4 Yr new car regular maintenance will remain unaffected.
2. Your entire new car warranty will NOT be void, as some local BMW dealers have suggested.
3. IF something were to negatively effect the vehicle such as suspension as a result of tune, then BMW will not pick up tab on fixing say in this case the suspension. So, is there where the Dinan warranty comes in? Will they pick up tab for any suspension related repair work...? This is the grey area for me...

Atleast, I got some clarity and what the local BMW dealers have stated is not entirely true.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #250
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The key thing here is that the Dinan tune invalidates the BMW warranty on driveline parts (likely brake and suspension components too, due to increased stress on these parts with the extra power) so the dealer is quite right in saying that BMW will not cover failed parts in those areas. On the Stage 1 tune (not the Sport tune), Dinan will provide a substitute warranty, but they should also be expected to provide the coverage for any CEL or other diagnostic costs in the driveline when an issue arises, not BMW.
Yes, this is what I need to find out from Dinan as to what will they be responsible for covering with regards to warranty. I spoke to BMW Canada corporate and they outlined exactly what you have mentioned, that the entire new car warranty will not be VOID, only parts or components effected as a result of the tune - which no one can identify unless BMW technical runs diagnostics on a vehicle. Also, as you mentioned will Dinan provide coverage for any CEL codes or diagnostics costs? I am assuming the labour costs will not be covered either.

Last edited by Bobby P; 03-09-2018 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #251
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Honestly I think you just talked to a real d_ck.

My dealer, who is a Dinan dealer, has brand new cars on the showroom floor completely decked out with Dinan exhausts, tunes, aero, etc... and they all have a fully backed warranty.

Heck, my dealer was trying to get me to buy more Dinan products than just the stage 1 tune, LOL.
WOW! you are lucky as you can tell I am having a hard enough time with my local dealers to simply add a Stage 1 tune...lol!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #252
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shundel View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth!

When my CEL came on it was a real bummer thinking that the tune let me down after raving about "peace of mind" spending the extra money. I could have taken it to the Dinan dealer (whom the dealership recommended btw) that installed it but instead decided to go straight to the dealership. They gave me no issues at all so I don't see why it should differ for anyone else.

Like others have said here, it looks like the person you're dealing with is just a one-off kinda thing.
Hahaha! 240 is a quick car stock! But I recently seen that Mercedes is releasing an AMG 45 with 400HP from a 2.0L 4 cylinder - I can only imagine what the possibilities can be with a 3.0 Inline 6! I am glad your dealership took care of the CEL codes for you, how long have you been using Dinan Stage 1 for? Other than the CEL code you have had any other issues? Driveability is like the stock car, etc.? Just looking for a brief overview of your experience with it...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #253
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

My Svc Mgr stated that should I have any issues w/ my car, just bring it in and they will run diagnostic to determine the problem. If it's a CEL, depending on the code they do whatever possible to remedy the problem (at no cost to me). Obviously, if it's a exhaust sensor or O sensor, they will fix that under warranty BMW, suspension, if determined to be a manufacture fault BMW (obviously if I crash a curb or pot-hole, that's on me. If the issue is related to the tune (CEL)- they contact Dinan for a resolution (again no cost to me). My Dinan/BMW dealer pretty much knows what is tune related vs. BMW warranty related. They are not going to try and affix blame to Dinan unless is clear that the tune caused the problem.

Certainly if the engine blows up, that can be a gray area as to what the cause is. If it's due to a poorly manufactured rod, BMW will fix that. I'm confident that having the fair and decent dealership advocate for you w/ both companies would be helpful.

With or without a tune, a major engine issue will be fully diagnosed before any wallets open. If a person flogs the hell out of his stock M240i at a drag strip and the engine goes, the 4yr-60K warranty goes out the window if diagnoses shows owner abuse (as it should).

Dinan tunes are mild in comparison to many and well tested. Some spirited driving should not cause any issues. Beat the car like a rented mule and expect someone to cover the abuse, ain't gonna happen.

First thing I noticed when I picked my car up after the tune, I started it, put it in drive (comfort mode) and pushed on the gas pedal, and the slight lag I had noticed prior to the tune was gone. Pulled to a stop to enter traffic, again, no hesitation when accelerating. Extremely happy. The tune fixed an annoyance that came w/ the stock car.

Car is fast (as quick as my traded C7 from my perspective). Gas mileage is a solid 26 around town in comfort. I don't do a lot of spirited driving as traffic horrible and LE presence limits that. Occasionally, I do put my foot into it and the car is scary fast. I find it enjoyable just knowing I have a hot rod in sheep's clothing. To this date, I have not floored my car. 3/4 throttle and it was a white knuckle ride. Unless I had access to a track, I'm not going to take the risk.

Car starts easily and runs smoothly. I can't say anything bad about the tune, the performance, the MPG's, dealership support. I do not plan to add any other mods. The tune was designed to run on a stock M240i. If you start changing exhausts and cutting out this or that to make it louder, change intakes, etc., could spell problems down the road with CEL's.

I would guess that if and when Dinan offers a Stage 2 and Stage 3 for the car, they will include some software tweaking to ensure these upgrades will work together.

Last edited by USA-RET; 03-09-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
Mehim76.50
      03-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #254
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I think my dealers are scaring me off with their anti after market support stance. From what I can tell it seems many BMW dealers throughout North America support Dinan products.

As far as vehicle care - I look after my cars as someone would look after their child or beloved pet. I do not intend to take my car to any track and I have yet to even "floor" my stock car, I would argue I have not even gone 3/4th down the gas pedal. Similar to you, I just use my car for usual daily drives and maybe a spirited drive once a while on weekends.

Also, I would have a tough argument in justifying why Dinan would want to see Tunes for vehicle if they have not been well engineered and tested for the vehicles which they are selling them for.

I will contact Dinan directly and see where they stand on their warranties and ask them in detail what their warranty claims exactly entail.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #255
shundel
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Hahaha! 240 is a quick car stock! But I recently seen that Mercedes is releasing an AMG 45 with 400HP from a 2.0L 4 cylinder - I can only imagine what the possibilities can be with a 3.0 Inline 6! I am glad your dealership took care of the CEL codes for you, how long have you been using Dinan Stage 1 for? Other than the CEL code you have had any other issues? Driveability is like the stock car, etc.? Just looking for a brief overview of your experience with it...

Thanks
I totally agree. I had the stage 1 installed just under the 10,000km mark and am now around 17,000+
My original opinion was that driveability was unchanged and the car only became that much quicker.

... But ever since getting it fixed I recently started having sputtering issues again when laying down the throttle between my 1st - 3rd gear shifts. Honestly, it's been somewhat of a headache the past couple weeks. The CEL came back on but went away a day or 2 later and hasn't come back. As a test, I even put it in bypass mode and the issue still occasionally happened. I'll be damned if I make another video about it though

I've been meaning to take it either back to BMW or the Dinan dealer but I've been too busy.
      03-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #256
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I totally agree. I had the stage 1 installed just under the 10,000km mark and am now around 17,000+
My original opinion was that driveability was unchanged and the car only became that much quicker.

... But ever since getting it fixed I recently started having sputtering issues again when laying down the throttle between my 1st - 3rd gear shifts. Honestly, it's been somewhat of a headache the past couple weeks. The CEL came back on but went away a day or 2 later and hasn't come back. As a test, I even put it in bypass mode and the issue still occasionally happened. I'll be damned if I make another video about it though

I've been meaning to take it either back to BMW or the Dinan dealer but I've been too busy.
Oh man, sorry to hear you are still having CEL issues with your vehicle. I appreciate your feedback and hoping the dealer can fix what issues you are having, it seems many of the folks here have had great success with the Dinan Stage 1 Elite but seems like there is still issues one can experience as a result of the tune. Do you plan on removing the tune if the CEL problems persist?

I really want the tune (my heart is set on it) but then my brains says "be cautious" as my BMW dealers here in Calgary have not been very supportive of it and my car is perfect right now and I don't want to have issue down the line with the tune as I have less than 4,000 Kms on it...

Also, I spoke to a local shop here (Motorwerkes) who is an authorized Dinan dealer and has done many Dinan tunes - they have said that if I did indeed go for a Stage 1 tune and for any reason should there be any issues - they did mention that they would run diagnosis and coordinate with Dinan should any issues arise to solve the issue. So, atleast I have an Authorized Dinan dealer (Not BMW dealer) locally who would support me in case of any issues and the fact that this shop is run by Ex-BMW techs with over 45 years experience combined also helps.

Cheers,

Bobby
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #257
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Sorry to hear you are having an issue. I see that you are driving a manual transmission. Do you think there may be an issue w/ the manual, the way it can be shifted and how the tune reads and handles those operations?

Not inferring that you don't know what you're doing when driving your car (far from it) but wondering if the tune was programmed and designed w/ an automatic in mind. Software designed to read the automatics shift points and RPMs under load (pretty much programmed and operate the same way time after time), where a manual could have many more variables sent from and through the tune module to the car's ECU. That could explain the why the CEL shows sometimes and not others, and then vanish when the car resumes normal operation.

I'm spit-ballin' here, but that seems to be the only variable (except perhaps your car being one out of a million that doesn't like the tune).

MT cars make up a rather small percentage of cars sold. Perhaps Dinan didn't do enough testing w/ MT examples and it variables.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #258
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
No issues here with my M240i 6spd - Dinan Elite for more than 10,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
MT cars make up a rather small percentage of cars sold. Perhaps Dinan didn't do enough testing w/ MT examples and it variables.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #259
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
No issues here with my M240i 6spd - Dinan Elite for more than 10,000 miles.
May I know what mileage you got Dinan Elite installed on your 240? Right away or did you let the car "break-in" after a few thousands miles?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #260
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I put it on at approximately 8400 miles. I did a 1200 mile oil change then again at 3000 miles. Since the 3000 mile oil change I have changed oil faithfully at 5000 miles. I am 446 miles short of 20,000 right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 12:53 AM   #261
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

I actually have similar problems as you, the sputter part. I had a brief cel too, but it disappeared the next day and never came back. I even went to autocross still hasn't came back. Took it to the dealership and they just erased the code. I do notice sputter/hesitation 3rd gear at 5000 rpm for a split second, but it doesn't happen all the time (mine is an auto, and this is with shell 91). 94 octane in (Alberta) Canada kinda fix it, as I don't notice (nor remember noticing) the sputter/hesitation with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 07:50 PM   #262
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Just had the car suddenly stopped moving for me... drivetrain malfunction, misfires, vibration during start up, not to mention CEL. All the goodies. Only 23565km on the car...

Sincerely hope that the warranty can go smoothly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #263
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Unhappy

Dropped mine off at the dealer with a recurring check engine light.

I'll post back if it had anything to do with my Stage 1 tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:06 PM   #264
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Dropped mine off at the dealer with a recurring check engine light.

I'll post back if it had anything to do with my Stage 1 tune.
Warranty WILL likely go smoother in the US than Canada.
Appreciate 0