THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes KW Clubsport - anyone using them?

12-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #45
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Hard to measure and challenge that I have 3mm H&Rs, they are like two credit cards thick..

You know what you doing, and have covered your bases. Let us know when you get it sorted. I want to try the Ohlins R&T's next year..
I guess the question is how much extra wear does it cause? I don't think BMWs are known to have weak bearings. I've never had the issue on any other cars, but I never own cars that long.

My buddy has the R&T on his M2. Great street setup and fine for most track drivers. Just be aware that it lacks front camber plates. If you plan on tracking them the spring rates can be a little soft depending on your skill set.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #46
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Probably won't be too many people running my setup, but just to confirm the 20mm spacer resolved the last issue for me.

Now I can get a good nights sleep again....well after I get the dent pulled on my hood from the track day...blah!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #47
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86
Hey Anthony,

I was scanning over your thread when I cam across the comment you made about ordering a shorter main spring. Was wondering if you went with Swift, and if so what was the spring rate/length you ended up with?

I was initially going to stick with my 18x8.5 et45's and run 235/40 square, but I'm intrigued to go with a 9-9.5" rim and run a 255 square setup since I've made the move to go full blown track setup (clubsports, f8X LCA/TS, rear arms, f&r sways, full bushings etc).

If I were to stick with Apex wheels, do you think the 18x9 et42 wheel would work for the 255 tire?

Cheers,

Dylan

" Just ordered a shorter main spring to allow me to keep the helper spring at the top in. Will allow me to move to bottom perch above the tire line.

Also went with a higher spring rate to match the extra grip my wider and gripper RE71R will give me up front. Will be 255 square."
Spring was Eibach 140-60-120. I've used Swift before though. Great stuff. Double check the diameter of the actual coils on the Swift spring though. Compare them to Eibach and go with whichever are thinner. Thinner allows the spring to compress more = more spring travel.

9" will be fine. I've been thinking of going to 9" lately.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #48
m3cmm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
9" will be fine. I've been thinking of going to 9" lately.
Didn't you recently move to 9.5 square and make it fit? Why the change of heart?

You mention in the thread about a 17" wheel not fitting around the reservoirs of the clubsports. I do want to move to an 18" wheel and wider tire track set up eventually ...but not yet. In your opinion, if I stick with an 17x8 ET 42 plus 245 Potenzas, can I manage with spacers?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #49
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3cmm View Post
Didn't you recently move to 9.5 square and make it fit? Why the change of heart?

You mention in the thread about a 17" wheel not fitting around the reservoirs of the clubsports. I do want to move to an 18" wheel and wider tire track set up eventually ...but not yet. In your opinion, if I stick with an 17x8 ET 42 plus 245 Potenzas, can I manage with spacers?
With a 9" I can run less aggressive camber. Which means more even tire wear on my daily driver. I just need to buy a 2nd set of wheels/tires to swap out for for track days.

No idea if 17" would fit with clubsports. Someone will have to test. With spacers or the right offset I'm sure it would clear the reservoir. No one knows the specifics yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #50
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
With a 9" I can run less aggressive camber. Which means more even tire wear on my daily driver. I just need to buy a 2nd set of wheels/tires to swap out for for track days.
That's the trick I think... I have a set of 9" wheels for DD, and a set of 9.5" wheels dedicated for track (plus the OEM 8"/8.5" set that I use with my winter tires... but I imagine you don't have that problem out in CA ; )
      06-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #51
m3cmm
Private
Rep

Quote:
No idea if 17" would fit with clubsports. Someone will have to test. With spacers or the right offset I'm sure it would clear the reservoir. No one knows the specifics yet.
Today I was the guinea pig. I was able to fit the 3 ways on my track wheels - 17x8 ET42 with 245 RS-3s. My installer also put on the Turner hub extender w/ 10 mm spacers on all 4. I haven't taken the wheel off yet, so I can't tell if the extender has any effect on the distance of the wheel face to the hub. At quick glance though, it appears that I have a decent amount of room inside, but I'm curious to get the wheel off so I can see what's what. As far as fender clearance...looks like I have a little room up front and less room in the rear if I was at full compression. I'm running -2.8 up front and -2 in the rear.
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
      06-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #52
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Today I was the guinea pig. I was able to fit the 3 ways on my track wheels - 17x8 ET42 with 245 RS-3s. My installer also put on the Turner hub extender w/ 10 mm spacers on all 4. I haven't taken the wheel off yet, so I can't tell if the extender has any effect on the distance of the wheel face to the hub. At quick glance though, it appears that I have a decent amount of room inside, but I'm curious to get the wheel off so I can see what's what. As far as fender clearance...looks like I have a little room up front and less room in the rear if I was at full compression. I'm running -2.8 up front and -2 in the rear.
Yes, 17x8 +42 should be no problem. My concern was with a 9.5" wide wheel in 17". Which could be a great track setup. Congrats on the 3-ways
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #53
m3cmm
Private
Rep

Holy crap is it a bumpy ride on 422 in the Philly burbs. I'm on the pre configured track setup right now. It's not jarring, but I feel (and bop my head to) every single imperfection and patch on the road. I also have f8x control arm bits, Bimmerworld bearing kit on the TS, and Dinan sways.

Think I'll try the street set up while I'm getting my new tires on the track wheels this week.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      06-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #54
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Holy crap is it a bumpy ride on 422 in the Philly burbs. I'm on the pre configured track setup right now. It's not jarring, but I feel (and bop my head to) every single imperfection and patch on the road. I also have f8x control arm bits, Bimmerworld bearing kit on the TS, and Dinan sways.

Think I'll try the street set up while I'm getting my new tires on the track wheels this week.
Should be easy to adjust and make it as comfy on the street as you want.

Keep in mind some of the stiffness/firmness will always be there because of the much higher spring rate.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      06-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #55
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

This is a great resource guys, much appreciated. Seriously entertaining the notion of picking a set of these up. Id be going 2way as i don't think the extra clearance/cost headache would be worth it for my skill level going with the 3way version. I am having perch clearance nightmares now though and will have to do some measuring when i get my new main track wheels delivered and shod. Currently am running a square 8x18 et 32 front and rear with 235/40/18s which should be relatively easy to space as required. Quick question, with the perches maxed out is ride height significantly below stock?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #56
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
This is a great resource guys, much appreciated. Seriously entertaining the notion of picking a set of these up. Id be going 2way as i don't think the extra clearance/cost headache would be worth it for my skill level going with the 3way version. I am having perch clearance nightmares now though and will have to do some measuring when i get my new main track wheels delivered and shod. Currently am running a square 8x18 et 32 front and rear with 235/40/18s which should be relatively easy to space as required. Quick question, with the perches maxed out is ride height significantly below stock?
3 way will have the same clearance as 2 way. I've never tried to max out the perches so I'm not sure how low it goes.

Going to lower my front 1/4" and pull some camber out with my next set of tires though.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #57
m3cmm
Private
Rep

I know I ended up with right around an inch drop up front but I don't know how close I am to max. I did have it corner balanced. I'll check it out this week when I switch back to my track setup.

After two days on the KW suggested street setting, I have to say I'm very pleased. It is a lot more comfortable but still very fun. My wife and daughter haven't been in the car yet though, so that will be the true test. Changing the rebound and compression settings was very easy. The dials are accessible and easy to work.
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #58
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
I know I ended up with right around an inch drop up front but I don't know how close I am to max. I did have it corner balanced. I'll check it out this week when I switch back to my track setup.

After two days on the KW suggested street setting, I have to say I'm very pleased. It is a lot more comfortable but still very fun. My wife and daughter haven't been in the car yet though, so that will be the true test. Changing the rebound and compression settings was very easy. The dials are accessible and easy to work.
Thanks for your feedback, on all topics. Will be installing mine over the next cold season and just committed to the 18x9 et42 ARC-08's in matte black. Have a couple different spacers on hand for initial fitting, but confident from everything in this thread, that the recipe is spot on.

Hardest thing for me at this point is to pick a new tire and stick with it (no pun). The RE-71 seems like a winner, but also considering Hoosier's offerings..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #59
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
3 way will have the same clearance as 2 way. I've never tried to max out the perches so I'm not sure how low it goes.

Going to lower my front 1/4" and pull some camber out with my next set of tires though.
I thought you experienced a wheel/tyre fouling issue with the reservoirs on the 3 way? Or was it a case of the perches were also posing a problem at those offsets too?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #60
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
I thought you experienced a wheel/tyre fouling issue with the reservoirs on the 3 way? Or was it a case of the perches were also posing a problem at those offsets too?
2 way has the reservoirs too.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #61
m3cmm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Thanks for your feedback, on all topics. Will be installing mine over the next cold season and just committed to the 18x9 et42 ARC-08's in matte black. Have a couple different spacers on hand for initial fitting, but confident from everything in this thread, that the recipe is spot on.

Hardest thing for me at this point is to pick a new tire and stick with it (no pun). The RE-71 seems like a winner, but also considering Hoosier's offerings..
Glad to support the cause. What happened to your June install?

I ended up buying Rival S 1.5's for this year because RE-71s were on back order until July and I needed a new set now. After a little more research, sounds like they may be targeted towards autocross instead of the track, but I'm going to give them a try.

On the question around perch height. Rear is maxed, front looked like it had 2 1/2 inches left. Both my helper springs are very compressed.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #62
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

I ended up buying Rival S 1.5's for this year because RE-71s were on back order until July and I needed a new set now. After a little more research, sounds like they may be targeted towards autocross instead of the track, but I'm going to give them a try.

On the question around perch height. Rear is maxed, front looked like it had 2 1/2 inches left. Both my helper springs are very compressed.
Helper spring will be compressed when the car is on the ground. Normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #63
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
June isn't going to happen, I will have the meth and tune part of things sorted out, though.

I've decided to go a bit further with the suspension, and for that reason I'd rather do this job while it's on the hoist for the winter, that way I can pick away at it piece by piece. My EDC cancellation kit just arrived too, but that wasn't the reason for the hold up. Along with the CS's and previously installed M4 LCA/TS's, I'll be doing the Megan Racing 4 link arms, Powerflex rear LCA bushings, Superpro subframe bushings, Derlin diff bushings, Hotchkis F&R sways with uprated links, brake work and having it corner balanced.

Also just secured a set of 18x9 et42 ARC-08's, and should be here in a month or so. The season will be half gone at that point, and my work schedule won't allow for much touring around, so I'm going to hit an HPDE event in July for my bday and run the car as hard as I can with PSS's and the Dinan spring setup. Will have to do I think my brakes are going to explode, though, this is a fast circuit, designed/built by F1 drivers. Putting in a set of EBC yellows with SS lines and RBF660 prior to the event in hopes it'll hold up, this is Area 27, in Oliver BC

Last edited by Dylan86; 06-23-2017 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #64
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
...Along with the CS's and previously installed M4 LCA/TS's, I'll be doing the Megan Racing 4 link arms, Powerflex rear LCA bushings, Superpro subframe bushings, Derlin diff bushings, Hotchkis F&R sways with uprated links, brake work and having it corner balanced.
...Also just secured a set of 18x9 et42 ARC-08's...
Great mod list! Mine is somewhat smiilar, with the MR arms and Powerflex bushings, F8x CA/TS (I also did Dinan monoballs in the TS), sway bars, end links, etc. I went with Ohlins R&Ts rather than CS shocks though - and my wheels are ARC-8s in 18x9.5.

Trust me when I say your car will be rock solid with all those mods.
      06-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #65
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Great mod list! Mine is somewhat smiilar, with the MR arms and Powerflex bushings, F8x CA/TS (I also did Dinan monoballs in the TS), sway bars, end links, etc. I went with Ohlins R&Ts rather than CS shocks though - and my wheels are ARC-8s in 18x9.5.

Trust me when I say your car will be rock solid with all those mods.
Awesome man! Is your car setup that way, currently? I figured I'd do the mono ball upgrade when the factory ones start to go out. I can't wait to get this thing fitted with the new parts and start putting it through the paces. I feel it's going to be a great journey in this car.

My friend M4 GTS will be at the track for that event, too, he's bone stock (still a monster) and on Cup2's. Will be curious how our driving styles compare with the two very different cars, and where the final lap times come in. We are going to seat swap if they will permit such behaviour
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #66
m3cmm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Awesome man! Is your car setup that way, currently? I figured I'd do the mono ball upgrade when the factory ones start to go out. I can't wait to get this thing fitted with the new parts and start putting it through the paces. I feel it's going to be a great journey in this car.
Here's another option...this is what I have. I had the F22 monoball Dinan kit before I put the F8x TSs in, then put this in when I swapped. Turn in and feel is better with both. I think you end up with more of a raw feeling with the BW part.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...Bearing_2.html

This car is so different with the suspension upgrades. I felt like I had trouble rotating / balancing it before...not anymore...now it feels like a well set up E46.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00