THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Drivetrain issue, lot of smoke, is there still a bright side of life?

03-10-2021, 06:20 PM   #1
Xavier Seynave
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive

Drivetrain issue, lot of smoke, is there still a bright side of life?

That was a fast escalating chain of events tonight! With the outside temperature finally above 0°C, I indulged myself with a ride home in sports mode and manual shifting. It is a 10 min drive at 90 km/h without any sort of trouble. I parked the car and kept it running while I grabbed a pair of boots, and then hop back in for a 4 min drive. I enjoy sports+ and manual for the feel of it but I never brutalise my ride. I shift at 2500 rpm max while it is cold, and almost never rev it up anyway when it is at running temperature.

There is a short steep climb (9%) right at the end of the city and I felt a lack of power as I neared the top. The throttle seemed unresponsive, the speed was decreasing as if I would need to downshift and find some torque. The car has usually no problem making it at 100 km/h in 8th gear, so I started to smell a fish (figuratively). I heard the second warning bell for low level tank (I expected it anyway). The crest is followed by a smooth downhill (1-2%) segment where I am just coasting to the next crossroad, a couple hundred meters farther. Deceleration is ok, downshifting to 2nd gear, turning right and then steadily accelerating for the 200 m to my destination.

Except it was all but steady. There was no power and a warning bell for a drivetrain problem, reduced output and an advice for cautious driving. Oh, and a flashing CEL... which went out pretty quickly. I parked and had the feeling that the car was still pushing forward. I had to keep my foot on the brake harder than I use to. The engine was shaking in a bad way. I checked its temperature and it was a bit above 100°C, so not really hot at all. I did it because I had a low coolant level warning last week, unrepeated since then, and I visually confirmed that it was undue.

I restarted the car half an hour later. At first the engine was not responding for maybe a half second longer than usual, then it started with no suspect vibration. But a thick white smoke came out of the exhaust pipes, with an acrid smell, not really like oil, but who knows with modern oils? I stopped the car, restarted it with the same results.

I am a bit worried because it seems like it is more than a simple gasket issue. At 32000 km, I doubt that the catalytic converted could be clogged. Misfiring or fuel pump would probably not produce smoke. I cannot wait for my dealer's service department advice on the matter... and I am 1,5 h from them!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Possibly blown turbo seals letting coolant into the turbo and fouling the plugs causing a misfire, based on the white smoke and an acrid smell that sounds like coolant in the combustion chamber, preceded by a low coolant warning. Has happened to a few people, should be an easy warranty fix if it is the case.
Appreciate 1
WAFU71.50
      03-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
Xavier Seynave
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the reply Aerobod.

I got feedback from Service and the valve cover was defective. Apparently there is a known bad batch of those and maybe also a redesigned replacement. Fluid leaked in the turbo and the exhaust, so they spent the afternoon cleaning the engine and its parts as per BMW instructions. The cover will be replaced and the car thoroughly tested to make sure there is no subsequent problem. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
qlaval52.50
      03-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Heya,

GREAT to hear. I read this the other night, and aerobod had pretty much nailed it. I cringed reading your story, but am so stoked to hear it wasn't anything totally blown.

good luck with the fix!

josh
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
Xavier Seynave
Canada
Rep

I got my little one back and it is purring just like before. The valve cover, spark plugs and diverse seals were replaced and all the line cleaned off of oil/coolant residue. It took over 14 man-hours, so I am quite happy that it was covered by the warranty... All in all, no serious damage, which is what really counts!

I must praise the Lévis dealer for their excellent communication and customer care. They lent me a new 230 x-drive for the duration of the repair and had answers to every question I had.
Appreciate 3
aerobod3625.50
mb67152.00
spidy512493.00