THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) XPEL and the M-Performance front splitter...

03-30-2015, 01:03 AM   #1
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Exclamation XPEL and the M-Performance front splitter...

I recently took delivery of my M235i, yesterday

I've decided to have the front-end protected with XPEL. I'm considering adding the M-Performace front splitter. For one, it looks good and secondly it's recommended by BMW to add it when adding the M-Performance carbon fiber rear spoiler.

Should I have the XPEL installed before or after install of the front splitter?

Also, do we really need to add the front splitter if we're adding the rear spoiler? Does it really make a difference taking into account how most of us drive these cars. I would imagine that particular rule may apply to a car like the official M235i racing cup racer?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Anything on that front bumper is highly susceptible to rock damage I ran 5000 miles without Xpel and I had little white nicks everywhere from highway driving. If you are going to paint it and match the car color it makes even more sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Anything on that front bumper is highly susceptible to rock damage I ran 5000 miles without Xpel and I had little white nicks everywhere from highway driving. If you are going to paint it and match the car color it makes even more sense.
Good point, I neglected to mention I'm considering adding the front splitter as is, unpainted.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Exclamation What's a good price for XPEL install?

What have you guys paid for XPEL?

I am having XPEL installed on the front bumper, the side mirrors and the bikini lines of the hood and front fenders only.

I was quoted $895.00 for the aforementioned areas.

We were also quoted $895.00 for the Range Rover Supercharged.

They said since we're doing both at the same time they will charge $795.00 per vehicle. I have no idea how this is priced or if it's a good deal?

We took delivery of both vehilces last week and need to have this done ASAP. I would hate to learn after the fact that we overpaid. Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Go on xpel's site and look up material cost. Call a few places and compare for the same coverage levels. When i did mine i paid cash which is always good for a nice discount.

Last edited by zipphreak; 03-30-2015 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:41 AM   #6
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
What's the significance of the "bikini line" on the hood/fenders?

Also, do the mirrors really take that much damage?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Your costing is about right. You might find someone a few dollars less or more. BUT, the key thing is get a very reputable place to do it. There are lots small shops out there who might not do as correct a job, or stand behind the work.

Last counsel: highly recommend you not do bikini lines across bonnet. Have the material cover whole thing. You will constantly battle the collection of wax buildup on that line...and it shows.

And you have to be a bit more careful in wiping and washing knowing you have a wide line across that can easily catch on car polishing times.

Covering whole bonnet makes it virtually invisible. Whole front yes, and yes mirrors. They take a chip beating as well...not to mention severe bugs etc. If you can afford the partial, then pop for whole hood being done. Justsome thots that might work better.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
sigh...I wasn't going to do anything just on principle...but now you guys are making me tempted to do at least the bumper....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:27 AM   #9
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
Your costing is about right. You might find someone a few dollars less or more. BUT, the key thing is get a very reputable place to do it. There are lots small shops out there who might not do as correct a job, or stand behind the work.

Last counsel: highly recommend you not do bikini lines across bonnet. Have the material cover whole thing. You will constantly battle the collection of wax buildup on that line...and it shows.

And you have to be a bit more careful in wiping and washing knowing you have a wide line across that can easily catch on car polishing times.

Covering whole bonnet makes it virtually invisible. Whole front yes, and yes mirrors. They take a chip beating as well...not to mention severe bugs etc. If you can afford the partial, then pop for whole hood being done. Justsome thots that might work better.
Thanks for your very helpful tips and advice. You bring up points I hadn't considered, I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #10
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Go on Xpel site's and find their recommended/trained installers.

Also you cant go wrong with a full frontal wrap. It costs more up front but imagine the cost of repainting the front bumper and hood, or replacing them. They are super easy to clean after too You can use rubbing alcohol on the Xpel, and no risk of scratching the paint!
Appreciate 0