THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions DIY: M Performance Grille Installation

04-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #23
Pahzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 GS OYSTER

Name:  531.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  375.1 KB
Got the JBSpeed dual slat on yesterday. Managed not to break to originals
      04-27-2015, 01:26 AM   #24
OrangePeanut
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i BSM

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmarn View Post
Give it one more go. I gave up after the first attempt but reshaped my BMW Grille Fork (tm) and once I found the right technique it was quick work. Try to pull the grill out after each tab has been pushed in to keep it from snapping back in locked position. You should be able to feel and hear the tabs click down into the clip when you get it right. In the second pic it looked like you're not touching the actual tab. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Are you pushing the tabs down and outward? Looking at the tabs at my old ones, the piece that locks in place is on the outside of the tab, so in reality you should be pushing the top tabs down, the bottom tabs up, and the side tabs inward. Look at the new ones to get an idea.

Other than that, as previously stated, get one clip to lock and pull it as much as possible. Then work on the next one. Push and pull to lock it and then continue repeating.
Thanks for the tips guys! I was finally able to take another shot at this tonight but still couldn't get it with the non-bumper method. Finally decided to remove the bumper and had it out in 10 mins

As a heads up for anybody who may be having trouble, it's actually quite hard to see or feel the first clip shifting out as it moves only a little bit. Additionally you have to keep pressure (pulling) on the whole grill because the slightest movement will push the clip back in. Even when you've got all three top clips out, it's not until the side clip comes out that you can really let up on the tension. This was really what made it hard for me, felt like I didnt have enough hands

Initially I had reserves about opening the bumper because there were several people on the f30 thread who said their bumpers weren't straight or set properly after moving it and being such a newbie DIYer I figure'd I would definitely be one of them. I dont kno about other models but the F22 has clips all along the bumper to guide it back to exactly where it was...so there's really no reason to not do the bumper method. It was far easier for me than fiddling with a 45 degree tool, for me personally at least.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #25
2twenty8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i 6spd M-Sport

How the hell did you guys do this without cutting the OEM grill?

I mean, I could get the top 3 clips, and the inner side clip off... the problem are the bottom 2 clips.

For the bottom 2 clips, I've tried going from the top, no luck. Bending a spoon, using a trim remover tool, hell, bended practically every tool in my tool box; still can't get those fricken clips to come lose.

I think I'm just going to cut the OEM ones =/
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #26
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MCoupe

Did this last evening, small hands certainly help but only took about 15 minutes.

Thanks for posting the link to the DIY!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #27
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Took all of 5 minutes to remove and replace both sets of grills using the method described. Just undo the top torx screws, pull bumper and reach in... don't be afraid to hurt yourself. Small hands helped for sure...

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:56 AM   #28
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix Track Pack

I did the no bumper removal method. Had a bent metal hanger that was just the right size, and taped a mirror to a gutter strap...macguiver would have been proud. Took around 15 minutes. Once first grill was out the second was out in 1 minute.
What helped the process was using small pieces of cardboard to shim the grill away from the bumper so the clips don't reengage. Worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #29
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivyee View Post
I did the no bumper removal method. Had a bent metal hanger that was just the right size, and taped a mirror to a gutter strap...macguiver would have been proud. Took around 15 minutes. Once first grill was out the second was out in 1 minute.
What helped the process was using small pieces of cardboard to shim the grill away from the bumper so the clips don't reengage. Worked like a charm.
I didn't remove my bumper either and my hands got pretty beat up
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #30
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix Track Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
I didn't remove my bumper either and my hands got pretty beat up
How? Did you use a tool to pop the tabs?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #31
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivyee View Post
How? Did you use a tool to pop the tabs?
Yup, wedging my hand behind the grill and using a flathead. Be warned that the tabs are pretty darn stiff and it took quite of bit of muscle and time to get it unhooked. Once you remove 2 or 3 clips and you go down the line, the ones removed would latch back down. It was frustrating and took about 20 minutes to get them undone. Worth it to me though rather than removing the bumper.
Appreciate 0