THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum B58 M240i Rev Matching 6 Speed Manual

05-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #23
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

For daily drive...

LOL, go hard or go home.

Just take public transport. It drives "by itself", and you can use your precious time playing games on you tablet.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #24
Heraklitus
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

It's interesting how blurry the line between manual and auto is becoming.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #25
AWheeler
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

The jury is still out for me as to whether I would want this feature. I thought it was entertaining during a short drive in a 370Z (and there was a button to disable it). Not sure I would want to be stuck with the rev-matching feature "on" all the time, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #26
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

One of the things that annoyed me about my e46 manual was the occasional hanging RPMs during shifting (rpms stay up even while depressing the clutch). Have always enjoyed a pure electronic-free manual. Hopefully, this can be turned off when you don't want it to rev-match so the driver can do it manually.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #27
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

Auto Rev match is a great feature and like others have posted, are not on the M3/4 when in the highest sport setting.

It lessens the load on the transmission and clutch when engaging gears. Makes downshifts smoother.

It in no way removes the joy of rowing your own gears. In fact, having 3 pedals and a shift lever is the only constant in manual transmissions.

It sounds like some of you would prefer to make the least effective, least efficient, and least performing manual transmission just so you feel like a "purist" when you grind into second.
Appreciate 5
      05-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #28
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heraklitus View Post
It's interesting how blurry the line between manual and auto is becoming.
Agreed. If you don't want to fully manually do things yourself, just don't get the car with 3 pedals. There's no shame in just getting the superior automatic. I would opt for the dct myself on the new M cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #29
todd hollander
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

If your car has auto rev matching you will never get better at doing it yourself (unless you can turn it off). You won't be able to practice and you will have no idea if you are really good at it or not. As a mouldy old fig I really miss my manual in my new vert. As good as the auto box is, it's just not the same. Unfortunately, neither are my knee's medial meniscus. Damn getting older sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #30
cehlion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 323i, 02 325i, 15 M235i

I'd welcome it

I ordered mine with 6MT, so I get the purist take. I haven't driven a rev match MT, but everything I've read about them is positive.

That being said I don't think the 240i will be out until 2017, so nothing soon here.

As far as the auto on/off, I can say in the test drive I took, I did not like it and looking forward to keeping this turned off.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #31
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

If I wanted to get the absolute maximum fuel economy from a vehicle I would purchase a Prius, not a M235i.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121 View Post
It sounds like some of you would prefer to make the least effective, least efficient, and least performing manual transmission just so you feel like a "purist" when you grind into second.
Seems that way at times.

I'd like to see more advances in MT's. AT technology has advanced greatly, so much so that AT's are now faster, smoother, and get better MPG than MT's.
That was never the case many years ago.

My '09 135i MT had a notchy and thus slow 1st to 2nd shift. BMW could "advance" and correct that, along with a shorter clutch pedal travel and shorter shift lever travel. Hopefully they have. In my experience the best manuals have been Honda and Acura. BMW's MT is smooth enough but it's not a fast shifting MT and at times the gear engagement isn't as defined as it should be. I'd like to feel the gate and the engagement a bit more.

I'd like to also see a 7th gear on the MT so there can be a wider gear spread for better acceleration and better MPG.
The 8spd AT has 2 over drive gears and that gives it a good advantage for highway MPG along with shorter intervals in the lower drive gears for better acceleration.
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #33
LENELSA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi A6 3.0 /BMW M240i

Does the AT Rev match ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #34
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
I thought dual-mass flywheels have been in all manual BMWs (N52, N54, N55, etc) of the last few years. Or is OP referring to a more minor change for the flywheel?
My 1994 E34 530i 5-spd had a dual-mass flywheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #35
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LENELSA View Post
Does the AT Rev match ?
No. Downshifts drive RPMs, not the other way round.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #36
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LENELSA
Does the AT Rev match ?
It blips the throttle on downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #37
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Has anyone actually driven an M240 with rev matching yet to give an educated thought?
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #38
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Has anyone actually driven an M240 with rev matching yet to give an educated thought?
I haven't...but...I have it on my new M3 and I LOVE it.

I'm an older guy, and every BMW I've owned has had a manual transmission (except one).

I use my car as a daily, and for people to say it's not the purists choice, etc., are nuts. It even briefly hold revs on up shifts....it's brilliant, and no matter how hard I've tried to catch it "off guard", it just hooks up seamlessly on downshifts, even dramatic changes like 6th to 2nd, etc.

To have this convenience for a daily driver is fantastic; you have all of the engagement of a true manual (clutch modulation, manual gear changes) and the smoothness of an torque converter automatic.

The best part? Put your throttle setting into Sport+, and your back to "normal".

If you track your car, you'd want to be in Sport+ anyway (hence BMW's logic), and you're then forced to be a "purist". Ironically, there are no sloppy downshifts w/ revmatch, so I'd rather be in Sport anyway...you'd be MUCH smoother around a track, and wouldn't upset the car's balance by botching a manual downshift..

Here's an example of why I love it for my daily: I was cruising on the highway last week, when a much slower car suddenly merged in front of me, and I looked for a gap in the fast lane to my left. There was a small but safe opening, so I threw my car from 6th to 3rd, without thinking really, and immediately had the instant acceleration I needed to merge safely.

Had I needed to manually throttle adjust with a downshift, I never would have been able to do it that quickly, and would have botched the attempt.

It's seemingly meaningless instances like this that make it priceless for someone who LOVES manual transmissions, but sometimes HATES the daily grind.
Appreciate 4
pz6193278.50
Tpeterson156.50
      08-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #39
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

I'm an older guy, and every BMW I've owned has had a manual transmission (except one).

I use my car as a daily, and for people to say it's not the purists choice, etc., are nuts. It even briefly hold revs on up shifts....it's brilliant, and no matter how hard I've tried to catch it "off guard", it just hooks up seamlessly on downshifts, even dramatic changes like 6th to 2nd, etc.

To have this convenience for a daily driver is fantastic; you have all of the engagement of a true manual (clutch modulation, manual gear changes) and the smoothness of an torque converter automatic.

The best part? Put your throttle setting into Sport+, and your back to "normal".

If you track your car, you'd want to be in Sport+ anyway (hence BMW's logic), and you're then forced to be a "purist". Ironically, there are no sloppy downshifts w/ revmatch, so I'd rather be in Sport anyway...you'd be MUCH smoother around a track, and wouldn't upset the car's balance by botching a manual downshift..

Here's an example of why I love it for my daily: I was cruising on the highway last week, when a much slower car suddenly merged in front of me, and I looked for a gap in the fast lane to my left. There was a small but safe opening, so I threw my car from 6th to 3rd, without thinking really, and immediately had the instant acceleration I needed to merge safely.

Had I needed to manually throttle adjust with a downshift, I never would have been able to do it that quickly, and would have botched the attempt.

It's seemingly meaningless instances like this that make it priceless for someone who LOVES manual transmissions, but sometimes HATES the daily grind.
Very interesting...so it's possible to disable the REVMATCH feature by simply changing the throttle setting to Sports+.

I had no clue this was possible...so this makes perfect sense. I usually drive my M235 in Sports+ 95% of the time lol

#ProblemSolved
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #40
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

I think it's a pretty cool feature to have even though it won't let you feel like a hero when you do a perfect heel toe into a corner. I wish it had it's own dedicated button instead of being tied to a drive mode though. I usually drive in sports + and like doing my own rev matching on the streets, but I want full concentration on not wrecking when I'm at the track.
      08-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #41
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

If you want all this you should've bought an auto/DCT.

Part of having a manual is learning how to not make sloppy downshifts and learning when/where you can downshift as to not upset the car's balance.

You're basically telling the car what gear you want to be in directly (without having to go up or down through a few gears; ex: slot right into 4th) and you get to pick when you want it to engage. I'm a little unsure of how much different this truly is apart from having an actual automatic with a clutch pedal.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #42
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

They do work great, but if you already have experience with heel-toe, it's pretty negligible and may frustrate some. I would hope it could be turned off?
      08-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #43
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

If it can't be coded out I think I would pass on the car. It's probably already been said, but I believe that it gets disabled when you turn traction control completely off. :/

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #44
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

I would like it,but I drive in Sport+ when I'm by myself so I would still do it myself quite often. Perfectly match downshifts are the coolest thing,and left to my own devices only about one in five is perfect. It would be a motivator for me while working on my unassisted technique!
Appreciate 0