BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Anyone come from an F82?

02-06-2023, 01:09 AM   #1
ube91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i, 2019 M2C, 2000 Z3M

Anyone come from an F82?

Recently I lost my M4 to a raccoon on the interstate. I lended my car to my brother so he could go to Jags game up in Jacksonville about a month ago and he hit a raccoon on the way back. Long story short, car ended up being totaled.

Now I'm the hunt for another car. Three cars immediately come to mind - the M2 and the M2C, the newly released manual MK5 Supra or another M4.
M2s seem to be everywhere and the manual Supra is just now hitting the streets. Pretty much impossible to find another M4 with the specs I had, making the other two choices tempting.

Wondering if someone who has/had an M4 can chime in with their experiences and thoughts with the M2 (or Supra!)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:00 AM   #2
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

I came from a F80, so close enough. The M2C is much more fun to drive than the F80 ever was. You should test drive one. Can't speak for the Supra, as I haven't driven one.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:39 AM   #3
WagonMaverick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I looked at the M4 hard before buying the M2 - I did not like the proportions of the M4 and it was more of a cruiser, where my M2 is a bruiser. I've done a fair amount of driving in the 3.0 Supra non-manual. For me again came down to driving position - I was not a fan of how I sat inside the car, but I like the styling and it got way more attention than the M2. If they made the Supra with Targa top and 6-speed -I'd give it high consideration
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 12:01 PM   #4
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

My friend has an auto supra so this is a comparison between that and an OG DCT M2.

I loved the exhaust sound of the supra, Engine feels great, and I like how the seats cradle you more. I didn't like the the transmission at all or how it looks. Although when you're inside its a nice cabin and feels special. For me the supra has significantly less usability in terms of what you carry. M2 always surprises me with what it can carry. I have fit my whole enduro bike, gear, and luggage inside. I would consider if that is important or not and If its not, go sit in them and see what you're drawn to. They're all good.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 12:22 PM   #5
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Damn how big was that raccoon?

From my understanding, the Supra sits somewhere between the M4 and M2 in terms of its driving dynamics. It's also smaller and lighter than the M2C by a couple hundred pounds even though it's down on stock power.

If you're looking for a more raw and sharp driving experience then I would lean towards the M2. If you're looking for something slightly softer and more visible then the Supra is a good way to go also.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 12:36 PM   #6
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i went from f80 to m2c. i also rented a supra on my last vacation

supra has good dynamics. the zf8 trans is horrible though. it does feel a bit cheaper inside than the m2 and claustrophobic. even for me at 5'10 160 lbs. if you can get the manual version at msrp i think it would be a great car. its a looker too especially in person. it cruises well and bumps aren't too harsh.

the m2c is great too and offers a bit more usability than the supra. bmw also did a good job making the s55 here feel more NA. the supra and base m2 definitely feel more turbocharged with how their torque comes in.

i wanted an automatic for my daily. if the supra had a dct i would have gone that way.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0