BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 2018 M2 Steering Feel - Potential Issue?

02-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #1
mso
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

2018 M2 Steering Feel - Potential Issue?

Hey all,

New member here. Glad to finally be able to properly join the forum. The M2 has been my dream car for a while now. I owned a 2018 230i xDrive (poor man's M2) previously and recently traded it in for a used 2018 OG M2 with roughly 30,000 KM/ 18 600 miles

I understand the wheels and tires are bigger than my previous car (18" vs 19" & 235s vs 245/265) but I can't seem to "love" the heavier steering feel of the M2 in comfort. In the 230i I could move the steering wheel with 1 finger but that's definitely not possible in the M2. The M2 right now has a VERY heavy steering feel on comfort setting - (I know a lot of people complain about the light sensitivity on some of the newer models) and that would be completely fine if I were in sport mode. My gripe is that the steering is feeling really heavy in comfort/default setting.

I keep reading that the M2 has electronic steering which essentially people hate because of the light steering so I'm curious if possibly there could be something wrong with my car's steering. I plan on bringing it back to the dealer but thought I would get some of your thoughts on what potentially it could be.

Unfortunately, I do not have any other OG M2 buddies to compare the steering to. I'm located in GTA, Canada.

Maybe it's just a placebo effect and I have to get used to it or maybe there's an actual issue? I don't feel much of a difference in the steering when I change it from comfort to sport mode.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 11:55 AM   #2
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

It could be your not used to the M2 yet vs your previous car.

Stock steering on the 2018 is super light in comfort and super heavy in sport - which was annoying to me.

So my guess is the previous owner coded the GTS steering which is notably heavier in comfort.

My friend has GTS steering coded and loves the heavier feel in comfort. I don't so I chose to code the CS steering which is more balanced between modes.

If it bugs you, have a software update and it should take care of the issue.
Appreciate 1
mso6.00
      02-22-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i guess it just depends what you're used to. my m2c feels very light in comfort. but its not going to be like an old buick where you can use 1 finger in a parking lot.

people hate the electronic steering because you dont get as much feedback as hydraulic. not because its too light/heavy.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
mso6.00
chris7197334.00
      02-22-2023, 02:26 PM   #4
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mso View Post
Maybe it's just a placebo effect and I have to get used to it or maybe there's an actual issue? I don't feel much of a difference in the steering when I change it from comfort to sport mode.
No issue, it's just heavier. I also wish all 3 settings were like one step lighter. Sport Plus feels artificially heavy to me and I never use it. There's not a ton of difference at lower speeds between Comfort and Sport I think.
Appreciate 1
mso6.00
      02-22-2023, 02:52 PM   #5
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Did you not test drive the vehicle prior to purchasing it? This feels like something to flesh out before purchase.

Regardless, there is a steering "update" that is available via coding that sets your EPS to the more developed 'CS' parameter. It lightens and improves Sport+ setting, but can't recall its effects on Comfort.

The dealership is going to listen to you complain and then send you on your way doing nothing. I definitely recommend coding the CS parameters along with the MDM/Rear Differential updates that come along with it and hey who knows it may also make you happy with the comfort setting.

https://bimmer-remote.com/products/c...ing-dsc-for-m2

You'll need a OBD>Enet cable as found https://www.amazon.com/OHP-Ethernet-.../dp/B07V3C47YD there along with a windows laptop that has an ethernet port. If your laptop doesn't have an ethernet port, you'll need this USB to Ethernet adapter https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters.../dp/B00ET4KHJ2

Super easy. Takes Jakub 30 minutes start to finish and you won't have to leave the house. You can have him activate Fullscreen Apple CarPlay while he's in there for another small fee. All of the above are well worth it.
Appreciate 1
mso6.00