THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BMW Connected Drive Apps in Canada?

11-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #23
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 440GC

ConnectedDrive Apps for Canada

In Canada there are two legacy apps for Canadian customers:
- BMW Remote App
- BMW Connected Classic app

The remote app requires your ConnectedDrive username and password to log into it. Once logged in you can lock your doors, honk the horn, locate the vehicle, flash the lights, pre-condition the climate system (turns on the fan), and search for and send destinations from the app to the vehicle.

The Connected Classic App is a gateway that lets 3rd party apps like Spotify and Deezer display and be controlled via the vehicle iDrive system.

In terms of the New Connected App that is available in the US and other markets, Canada should be able to launch this in Q3 of 2018.

So if you have a Canadian vehicle you have to use the above legacy apps for the time being.

Also, Canada recently launched a ConnectedDrive portal that allows consumers to review, renew and upgrade their ConnectedDrive services and perform password resets. The link is www.bmw.ca/mybmwconnecteddrive

You will again need your ConnectedDrive username and password to log into the portal (same credentials as the Remote App)

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #24
Phaddie
Rep
Drives: 2017 x1

Are there know problems getting Google pixel to work with BMW connected app?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #25
dsmclone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaddie View Post
Are there know problems getting Google pixel to work with BMW connected app?
I have a Pixel XL in the states and it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #26
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

Connected App not working

Looking for suggestions:

Since I brought my 16 M235 out of storage I can't get the connected drive app to work with my Galaxy S8. When I plug it into the USB port it shows connected on bluetooth but the app shows no connection. Spotify plays, phone connects to the car OK but App shows no connection. I even reloaded the App but no change.

Appreciate any suggestions as to what may be the issue.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #27
skaterdad
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

ConnectedDrive app workaround!

Hello everyone,

For those frustrated Canada BMW users who couldn't install the US ConnectedDrive app...

I discovered another way to install (Samsung S8). Looking at it, it overlaps post #6.

1) Force stop Google Play Store in app manager. Delete data but not not app (click on Storage usage).
2) Turn off phone.
3) Go to computer. NOT ON PHONE. This is critical.
4) Turn off location in browser.
5) Log into Google account used for your phone.
6) Go to BMWUSA ConnectedDrive website

https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/connecteddrive.html

At bottom of page is a link to Google Play Store App. Click on link.

7) Click on install button. You may be asked which phone you wish to install onto.

8) Turn on phone. After about 5 min when phone finishes boot up, you will notice a download occurring which is the ConnectedDrive app. After download it will install automatically.

9) If you don't see icon, go to Google Play Store and open from there.

10) In app use link to create a US ConnectedDrive account. This is for people who are the second owners, ie. no contact with dealership.

11) You might need to force stop ConnectedDrive Classic if you also have that on your phone. I have also had problems getting Spotify to work thru ConnectedDrive (which gives you ability to choose playlists from iDrive rather than touching phone), which resolves when I force stop the new ConnectedDrive app and restart it.

12) The PIN on the phone app needs to be typed in before you can use certain functionalities on iDrive. There is also a warning screen you have to touch "Skip".

Last edited by skaterdad; 05-06-2018 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2018, 07:01 AM   #28
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Canadian Connect App

Thanks for taking the time do figure this out. Good write up. I tried it several times but couldn't get it to work. Each time it kept coming up asking for my VIN. I even tried using a new email address so it wouldn't link to my old one but no luck. I had thought that maybe my browser location wasn't off but he APP that downloaded was different than the Connect Classic I had before so I think I have the US version, a blue globe.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #29
AwesomeIcey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i, 2020 X3 M40i

I was just able to download the newer app in Canada on Android without doing anything special, just searched in Play and it showed up... I don't have my car quite yet so can't test it out but maybe it's getting close!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #30
bmwgcyr
Bimmerfest coding member since 2012
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW m550i xDrive 2018

I own a 2018 m550i I use Canadian BMW Remote and BMW Connected classic.

I was able to get the US BMW Connected app on the Apple store. I could setup an account but was not able to register my car with the VIN, the error is Vehicle not compatible.

Anyone successfully registered his Canadian car with the US BMW Connected service? Can you help me?
Z1Q, ZC5, ZK9, ZTV, 29X, 2VW, 4LQ, 4161, LZFK
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #31
Phelankes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive coupe

Same situation with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgcyr View Post

I was able to get the US BMW Connected app on the Apple store. I could setup an account but was not able to register my car with the VIN, the error is Vehicle not compatible.

Anyone successfully registered his Canadian car with the US BMW Connected service? Can you help me?

I own a 2018 440i coupe, I thought the US BMW Connected app only works for the high-end series like 5 & 7 who has the Surround View.

The account dealer gives to me only works for BMW Remote app, download though Canada Apple Store.

The BMW Connected app only can download from US Apple Store, and the account Canada BMW dealer gives to me does not work in the US BMW Connected app. So, I have to create a new account through the app.

Right now I can use some functions on the phone through the US BMW Connected app, like:
  • Fuel Level,
  • Total Range,
  • Navigation can directly to the car (but have to sit in the car),
  • located car (Heading not correct like the Remote app, but is fine),
  • real-time traffic map through the app,
  • Find Parking Nearby,
  • Schedule the trips (I think this one very useful),
  • Save location for later (Location can find in the car under Connected),
  • ext.

But all the remote functions in BMW Remote app cannot use in the BMW Connected app. The reason I think because of the VIN# cannot be verified at US BMW services.

If anyone got Good news, Please tell me. Thx!

BTW: Under the "Hub" in the BMW Connected app, there has an app called "BMW M Laptimer" you can download, Very Fun to have it!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #32
B1nary
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Connected Drive - BMW Remote App

You can go to BMW USA and download the Remote App from the Android Store link there. But. it won't do you any good. I've done that for both our 2017 and 2018 M240's. The App will install and everything works until you have to enter your VIN. You will get the error (basically it can't find your VIN) , so don't bother. I spoke to BMW in the US and was told the same AT&T and Rogers connectivity information. The Genius dept in the US says it's an entirely different system and will then refer you to BMW Canada. In order to get the BMW Remote App to work you must have a current ESR (electronic Service Agreement) from a dealer and most of those only last the same 4 years as your new car warranty after which you must buy a renewal (about $400 for 2 years). If your ESR is current and you have the Remote App installed you enter your email address and a password (your dealer supplies that to the Connected Drive people at BMW). Make sure the email address your dealer uses and the one you sign in with are the same. Also make sure that that email is your correct one or you'll never be able to change your password as that is where BMW will send the password reset link, so if it's not valid you will never get the reset link. If your email and password are accepted on sign in to the App you then enter a 4 digit PIN number and the App will remember this in future. You should also be able to log in to the connected drive portal on the web and add a second driver or change primary and secondary drivers. I have been able to get this to work for the 2018 but not the 2017 and no one knows why. Resetting a password never works even though I get a email saying the link has been sent. If you are having problems call the number on the web based sign in page and talk to a connected drive help person. Once in awhile they can help - yes I'm being less than kind having spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get this to work. If you have more than one BMW you can add it to one account instead of making one account for each car. As many have noted the Canadian App does not have the same number of options and features as the one in the US. I have asked BMW Canada so many times why we have to be 2nd class citizens compared to the US and all I ever get is the story that the Canadian and US computer systems are totally different and "we are working on it". That was more than 18 months ago so you know what they really meant was just go away. I hope a little of what is in here helps someone but the news isn't good and it appears that BMW Canada does give a sh*t.

If you want to play with the US remote app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...w.connected.na

Last edited by B1nary; 05-16-2018 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Aded US Remoe App link
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #33
B1nary
Rep

Conected Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgcyr View Post

I tried the same process you did: registered on the US site, downloaded the US Connected App and tried the VIN entry only to be told my vehicles is not compatible. Rather than delete the App I simply forgot about it until yesterday. By then I had installed and got the Canadian Remote BMW App installed and working. I was using that App to send location to the car and that seemed to work. This morning for whatever reason as I was about to delete the App I just opened it and after agreeing to the User Agreement, again, I was asked for a PIN and much to my total shock the App opened and it had my car in it, even the colour. I can't explain how this is even possible based on what BMW in both countries told me but it might be worth giving this a try. Make sure you have the Canadian Remote App installed and working fully (you need a current Service Agreement). If the Canadian App works then go the the link in my message below and install the US App. Go through all the steps of registration including to the point where you are told your vehicle is not compatible. At that point close the App and wait a week or so - I don't know if this is required but it happens to be what I did by accident. After several days have gone by (I had waited more than a week) try the US App again, agree to the user agreement and see if it works. I've tried using the US App several times this AM and it is still working. Now this may be a total fluke and after entering this info I may have the App disabled but as of right now and to my amazement, it is working. And, BTW it is a totally different App than the Canadian one - and I am still not able to send routes to the car although it says it is sending locations.

After having the US based BMW Remote App working - by some very strange fluke - I upgraded my phone yesterday - well today I am back to square one. The APP is back to telling me my VIN can't be registered. So I'll wait a week or so and see if I can get it to work again like last time.

Bummer, I though I had found something that would work.

Last edited by B1nary; 05-22-2018 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Stopped Working
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #34
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

The issue is that BMW is on a different, and obsolete, Connected system in Canada. This post from canadian33 explains it (he works for BMW Canada).

While I accept his technical explanation (and you can look through that thread for more detail), it's pure bs from BMW that it takes this long to make the current tech operational in Canada.

BMW sold us goods under false pretenses and, arguably, has engaged in consumer fraud. I received a settlement from them so you may want to pursue them for some resolution. I do take Canadian33 at face value that some time this year we'll see some of this tech actually work in our cars.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #35
B1nary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
The issue is that BMW is on a different, and obsolete, Connected system in Canada. This post from canadian33 explains it (he works for BMW Canada).

While I accept his technical explanation (and you can look through that thread for more detail), it's pure bs from BMW that it takes this long to make the current tech operational in Canada.

BMW sold us goods under false pretenses and, arguably, has engaged in consumer fraud. I received a settlement from them so you may want to pursue them for some resolution. I do take Canadian33 at face value that some time this year we'll see some of this tech actually work in our cars.
As if the remove app isn't bad enough, now it's not working at all and hasn't been for two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #36
B1nary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1nary View Post
As if the remove app isn't bad enough, now it's not working at all and hasn't been for two weeks.
A quick update. BMW Connected Drive Canada (based in the US no less) says there is no current timeline to have the Canadian version of the Remote App back up and running. Quote from online support "I asked about a timeline and was told they were unprepared to give one". I feel so much better knowing that . . .
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #37
AwesomeIcey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i, 2020 X3 M40i

Hi all!

I picked up my new 2 series on the weekend, I was able to get the classic remote app and the connected app classic to work and communicate with my car. When I launch them it prompts me to use the new combined ConnectedDrive app but when I try to log into that it tells me that my username and password aren't valid.

Has anyone had any luck getting that working?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #38
rudyv1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Your dealer should have a ‘BMW Genius’ on staff (it’s usually the role of the delivery person), who can have this correctly setup for you.

I had to go through my dealers Genius to get it working properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeIcey View Post
Hi all!

I picked up my new 2 series on the weekend, I was able to get the classic remote app and the connected app classic to work and communicate with my car. When I launch them it prompts me to use the new combined ConnectedDrive app but when I try to log into that it tells me that my username and password aren't valid.

Has anyone had any luck getting that working?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #39
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post

Can you tell us more about the process you followed, who or what office you dealt with and the details of the argument you presented. The amount of the settlement would be interesting also but primarily members should be advised on how you proceeded and were successful to enable them to follow the same route.

thanks
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #40
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

At this point, I don't clearly recall exactly what steps I took. I did write to BMW Canada setting out the specific misleading portions of the web site but I don't remember specifically how I argued it. I do know they offered a meaningful settlement and I was able to negotiate a higher amount, but it was two years ago and other than the original complaint it was done on the phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #41
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 - Ultimate Pkg- Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_fooot View Post
I downloaded this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=us.bmw.remote
Then contacted my sales guy and told him I needed an ID and password (as directed to by bmw when I called the number the app gave me to call). My sales guy took like a week and came back with a username and password which took another day to actually work. But then I was able to sign in and change my password and my car automatically showed up and let me control it.
Link in your post above is for My BMW Remote and not for BMW Connected. This thread is particularly for BMW Connected which is not available in Canada yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #42
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

FYI...

New Canadian Connected Drive portal is running and send to car from BMW Remote app now working...

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post23592727
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #43
Funwithdesign
Arsevader
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

I can't get the code to resend to my car anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #44
Funwithdesign
Arsevader
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'm finally in!

But it shows the wrong subscription (Essential) while I actually subscribe to the Professional package.
Appreciate 0