THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sunroof Noise - FIXED!

05-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i AW/BLK

Thumbs up Sunroof Noise - FIXED!

My M has had some issues, some of which the members of this forum shared, but most seemed to be able to get fixed / handled by myself or the dealer (still wish we had a better fix for the steering wheel)...but regardless, there was one issue that I seemed to be in the minority of: A loud popping / cracking noise coming from the sunroof shade.

It started happening out of nowhere and could easily be recreated by just pushing slightly on the shade. I tried to diagnose the issue myself, brought it up in multiple forums, and brought the car into the dealer 3 seperate ocassions...but was met with either "We can't find the issue" or "There isn't an issue."

Finally, I had enough, I knew I wasn't crazy, so I told my local dealer that I don't care if it's covered or not, please just replace the shade and I will pay out of pocket.

Well, when they took off the headliner to reach the shade, they noticed the sunroof cassette / rack had a huge crack in it. We were all pretty stumped as to what could cause this. Unfortunately it's not covered under warranty however since I continued to bring the car in for the same issue, they were nice enough to replace the entire cassette and shade for me free of charge (apparently a $2k part).

No idea what could've caused this, but glad it's finally taken care of. Sorry if I blew up on anyone

Edit: Video won't upload / will try again tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 12:24 AM   #2
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Wow! Surprised they said it wasn't covered under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Unless you don't have a warranty on your car, that's a covered part. I think they're messing with you to let you think they ate $2k out of the goodness of their heart.
      05-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
mrfattbill
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
Unless you don't have a warranty on your car, that's a covered part. I think they're messing with you to let you think they ate $2k out of the goodness of their heart.
QFT.

Bill
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Absolutely no doubt this is the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

I agree with crabu2's statement as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i AW/BLK

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it.

This is the same dealership that I refused to buy a car from after one of the salesmen told me "I don't think you know what you're talking about" when I was comparing prices of M235's and told him he was asking about $5k more than a dealership 20 miles away.

I'm used to the extreme douche-y-ness I've grown accustomed to expect over the years from bimmer dealerships unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
mrfattbill
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xojustin View Post
I wouldn't doubt it.

This is the same dealership that I refused to buy a car from after one of the salesmen told me "I don't think you know what you're talking about" when I was comparing prices of M235's and told him he was asking about $5k more than a dealership 20 miles away.

I'm used to the extreme douche-y-ness I've grown accustomed to expect over the years from bimmer dealerships unfortunately
Call BMW USA and report the dealership.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/ContactUs/

Bill
Appreciate 0