THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Do other drivers hate us?

11-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Do other drivers hate us?

I've driven BMWs since 1974. Yeah, I'm an old geeezer! The last 10 years or so it seems that there's some driver out there trying to prove his car can beat my bimmer. Btw, I live in the metro DC area. Today I was heading to Home Depot on Pickett in Alexandria. I was driving east on Duke, observing the speed limit of 35 mph. Some jerk in a small Ford SUV started tailgating me. I dropped the tranny into 3rd and maintained speed. The driver flashed his car's lights. I started to slow. The driver beeped his home several times. I continued to slow. He then drove his car along side me, I punched the throttle. That B58 responded nicely even though the car was in its default "comfort" mode. The car caught up with me. I turned right onto Pickett, and made a quick u-turn via the gas station on the corner. I took a picture of the vehicle and its plate. The guy got out and started yelling. I told him that approaching another vehicle as he was is a felony in VA. I took off and headed to HD. He followed me, but didn't turn into HD.
I'm going to install a rear-facing camera. This i what I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N6AWQ5I...=16A8QNBBFR6QU

Any thoughts? I'm looking to route switched power to it. What's a good source? I was thinking the USB port in the console. Is it switched?

Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 11-12-2017 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
I've driven BMWs since 1974. Yeah, I'm an old geeezer! The last 10 years or so it seems that there's some driver out there trying to prove his car can beat my bimmer. Btw, I live in the metro DC area. Today I was heading to Home Depot on Pickett in Alexandria. I was driving east on Duke, observing the speed limit of 35 mph. Some jerk in a small Ford SUV started tailgating me. I dropped the tranny into 3rd and maintained speed. The driver flashed his car's lights. I started to slow. The driver beeped his home several times. I continued to slow. He then drove his car along side me, I punched the throttle. That B58 responded nicely even though the car was in its default "comfort" mode. The car caught up with me. I turned right onto Pickett, and made a quick u-turn via the gas station on the corner. I took a picture of the vehicle and its plate. The guy got out and started yelling. I told him that approaching another vehicle as he was is a felony in VA. I took off and headed to HD. He followed me, but didn't turn into HD.
I'm going to install a rear-facing camera. This i what I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N6AWQ5I...=16A8QNBBFR6QU

Any thoughts? I'm looking to route switched power to it. What's a good source? I was thinking the USB port in the console. Is it switched?
His tailgating was a traffic violation. Your impeding his passing by speeding up was also a violation which resulted in road rage. Consider yourself lucky he did not have a gun. That's why people type-cast and hate BMW drivers.
Appreciate 3
      11-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

OP;
It would seem that your dickish response to his immaturity probably reinforces other motorists low opinion of BMW drivers.
Your BMW was doing the speed limit (probably considered an anomaly by most other drivers) and the tailgater probably wanted you to speed up a bit and your response was to reduce your speed ever below the posted speed limit.
Then when he begins to pass you, you gun the bimmer (presumably well above the posted speed limit) to show him who's top dog.
What do you think other motorists watching this little drama being played out think???
And you wonder why we get a bad rap?
      11-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

It wasn’t the car.
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
It wasn’t the car.
Agreed.

It's not the OP's car. There's no shortage of asshats these days and they come all forms, ranging from car drivers to pedestrians, and everything in between. Even friggin' shopping cart drivers.

It all boils down to the "me first" attitude and screw common courtesy.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 3
      11-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

If I see someone driving aggressively like that, I just move over and let them pass and assume they have some emergency and give them benefit of the doubt.
Appreciate 4
      11-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Let me add some info.
The road has three lanes. Traffic was light. The other driver had two other lanes in which to drive. When I accelerated I didn’t exceed the 35mph speed limit, though I did accelerate “briskly” to 35mph.
Yes, the other driver could have had a gun. Yes, I’ll try not reacting next time. It’s metro dc so there will be a next time.

Thoughts on the camera from amazon?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'd repost in the Electronics subforum. And FWIW, my friend had a great quip that has proven all too true - despite the hype, these cars are not chick magnets, they are dick[head] magnets. But don't bray back at the jackasses next time.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #9
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Let me add some info.
The road has three lanes. Traffic was light. The other driver had two other lanes in which to drive. When I accelerated I didn’t exceed the 35mph speed limit, though I did accelerate “briskly” to 35mph.
Yes, the other driver could have had a gun. Yes, I’ll try not reacting next time. It’s metro dc so there will be a next time.

Thoughts on the camera from amazon?
So you were sitting in the fast lane for no reason then?
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

This type of behavior is common on todays roads. I just let them pass, not worth getting into a "I can take you" situation. I personally don't find any animosity towards my 2 BMW's. I get lots of compliments on my Estoril 228ix. I guess the fact that I am 73 makes most people think I am harmless. An old man driving a hot car. And it is not a chick magnet. I have had no luck at the local nursing homes. LOL.
Appreciate 4
      11-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
I have had my BMW for almost a year now and I haven't notice any different attention or treatment from other drivers than I did with my MINI Cooper, or my Chrysler Sebring before it. I do get a few compliments here and there on it, but my MINI drew more comments, most frequently from older ladies wanting to know who drove the "cute" little car in the parking lot. Frankly, BMW's of all flavors and ages are so ubiquitous these days, I don't think they draw any more attention than any other car. It's one of the many reasons I chose my m235i over a 981 Boxster. I was concerned some of the patients in our office would make comments about the Porsche in the parking lot, even though a lot of the full sized tricked out Ford and Chevy trucks, let alone Escalades and the like, probably cost as much as a slightly used Boxster.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

I have to ask.....do you like driving in the left lane?

That lane is suppose to be for passing and not cruising. If you are making a left turn shortly, fine....but to continually run in the left lane can irk people.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #13
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post
So you were sitting in the fast lane for no reason then?
there is no "Fast" lane. It's a passing lane. Pass and then move to the right.
Appreciate 1
harma24402.50
      11-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
there is no "Fast" lane. It's a passing lane. Pass and then move to the right.
Yes yes Captain Pedantic.

Colloquialisms are a thing you know, and it is commonly referred to as the fast lane because if you are overtaking then you are going faster than the person you are overtaking.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #15
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post
Yes yes Captain Pedantic.

Colloquialisms are a thing you know, and it is commonly referred to as the fast lane because if you are overtaking then you are going faster than the person you are overtaking.
Very true, but to be clear many that call it a fast assume because you are going faster than surrounding traffic, it's the lane you are supposed to be driving in continuously. Calling it "the fast lane" only perpetuates that thought process. Calling it a passing lane defines it as a lane used for passing ONLY!

So my correction was not directed at you specifically, but rather those that perceive the left lane to be their permanent driving lane because they are driving faster.

There is always going to be someone driving faster than you (not meaning you specifically) hence the tailgating, and light flashing.

My pet peeve is having to two cars basically pacing one another under the speed limit and occupying both lanes. Happens everyday day down here in "Magoo-ville".
Appreciate 1
RPM90889.50
      11-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #16
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Move as far away from the city as you can, life will get much better! lol I only know because I spent most of my life in Toronto, and will never move back to a large city..

I don't even think I know what traffic is, anymore
      11-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:

That lane is suppose to be for passing and not cruising. If you are making a left turn shortly, fine....but to continually run in the left lane can irk people.
Stay away from Florida, all the retired Q-tips drive in the left lane down there.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #18
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Quote:

Stay away from Florida, all the retired Q-tips drive in the left lane down there.
My "fast lane" peeve is less with the driver, and more with the administrative rigor to educate and test for proper passing lane usage and courtesy. In every congested metro area, the freeways should be liberally sprinkled with "slower traffic keep right" (or similar) signage as reminders. I also wonder why each adjacent freeway lane couldn't be graduated in incrementally higher speeds, such as 60, 65, 70 mph, to help the birdbrains catch on. Hard to hold drivers too much at fault when education and habitual reinforcement are failing.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
RPM90889.50
      11-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #19
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
My "fast lane" peeve is less with the driver, and more with the administrative rigor to educate and test for proper passing lane usage and courtesy. In every congested metro area, the freeways should be liberally sprinkled with "slower traffic keep right" (or similar) signage as reminders. I also wonder why each adjacent freeway lane couldn't be graduated in incrementally higher speeds, such as 60, 65, 70 mph, to help the birdbrains catch on. Hard to hold drivers too much at fault when education and habitual reinforcement are failing.
MarcoZandrini :
First: It's pretty evident that your behavior during the incident is what both prompted and perpetuated the road rage. Left-lane 'parking' isn't a good idea.

Second: I'm going to assume you're traveled, if not driven, in Europe. There, lane discipline is an art form, particularly in Germany and parts of Italy and France. It's downright dangerous to stay in the left lane there because faster traffic is often traveling at a rate of speed so much higher than general traffic's, it endangers both the slower and faster traveler. Adopt that mode of thinking and apply it in the U.S., and you'll encounter people like the SUV driver a lot less.

Third: The average U.S. driver is so underskilled compared to most of the rest of the Western world, why tempt fate? Every city has its share of left-lane hogs. Here, one should just assume that they're around, and that you'll encounter one eventually. Same applies to folks like the SUV driver; just assume they're around.

Fourth: There are already plenty of "Left lane is for passing only" (or somesuch) signs around. They do absolutely no good -- so much so, in fact, that the Federal law that bans passing in the right lane on Interstates is basically not enforced. Why? Because people don't obey the left-lane conventions and make travel dangerous because of unnatural road congestion ... speaking of which: Guess which vehicles get 'shot' first by LEOs clocking for speeders? Those in the left lane. That, in and of itself, should be reason enough not to remain in that lane ...

Fifth: Want to know the best way to learn lane discipline, quick? Ride a motorcycle. If you did what you did regularly on a bike, you'd likely be dead by now.

Bottom line: Only use the left lane for passing. Just do it. You'll be a happier driver, and the others around you will be happier drivers.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #20
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Viffermike;22419013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
My "fast lane" peeve is...
I hope people don't mistake me for the OP, since you quoted me when rebutting him.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      11-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #21
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

I hate to say it but, OP: https://www.toyota.com/prius/
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #22
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

[QUOTE=stevenvillatoro;22419046]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

I hope people don't mistake me for the OP, since you quoted me when rebutting him.
Damnit, why are you out there making the roads unsafe for all of us?

I've driven all over the world and parts of the U.S. are the worst I have seen in developed countries - I am ignoring places I have been like rural China with a family of 5 and all their earthly goods strapped to a small scooter.

Our driver training is pathetic because it's not a major source of revenue for the state. People don't treat driving with the respect it deserves, namely you're operating a multi-ton projectile that can instantly turn into a deadly weapon. Throw distracted driving, drunk driving, etc. on top and minimal if any real consequences ($100 speeding ticket is not a deterrent) and it's a recipe for disaster.

Best thing to do is assume everyone around you will do something moronic at any given moment and may also be high on meth and carrying a gun.
Appreciate 4