THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Thinking about returning to the 2

11-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #45
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Mike,

Does your car have the sport exhaust system??!
Nope ... and it really doesn't need it, IMHO. The dual exhaust pipes (either silver or black, as on Alli) are a standalone option.

I've got PASM and Sport Chrono, though. Thought about PTV with the LSD, but didn't get it since I don't plan to track the car much, if at all. Putting the savings toward what's fast becoming a somewhat unique stereo upgrade, hehe.
Appreciate 1
pz6193277.00
      11-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #46
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
This and the R&T article on the 228i, M235i and M2 are the reasons why I went with the 230i when I ordered...as an 18k mi/year car, I don't need any more. Plus with the new Dinan tune I have and the soon to be added shockware, springs/bump stops and exhaust...it'll suffice!
If I didn't do a ten year stretch of 1.8t/2.0T VW/Audi's I would have probably built a THP 228i and added and LSD, and same mods as I've done to the m235i. I just really missed the sounds of an inline 6 I had 4-5 VR6 equipped VW's in my teenage years and really mourned for a sweet sounding engine again. The turbo noises and lack of low end grunt really were the main reasons for my interest in a BMW. I also really wanted a RWD/6MT i6 Turbo car, before they became extinct, lol

To each their own, but I don't see anything wrong with the 228i aside from a little bit of power lost in the 2 missing cylinders. It's virtually the same car, imo. It probably feels a lot better in turn than the 6cyl counterpart, I'm sure. I can appreciate the light front end of a 4cyl vs 6cyl going from the VR6 to the 1.8T's.
Funny you say that...I? went from 2 N54 bmws and kind of thought the 4 would be more practical and nearly as much fun. More reliability would be a side benefit! I? do miss the N54 but you're right on the turn feel of the light front end. I? absolutely love the M2s I've had during track events but they are a bit heavy up front! Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #47
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Oh I don't disagree with you. I just meant that folks with an M3 instead of an M2 have one for reasons other than they purposely want to have less fun at the track or they hate money and want to get rid of it as quickly as possible. Things like kids and needing a back door get in the way of such decisions in the real world once you're away from play time with big boy toys at the track.
Yea most M3/4 owners I know and have met, are about rolling races and flogging the HP on the highway, lol. And having spent a fair amount of seat time in a stock M4 on it's journey to FBO I can attest that without an R compound track tire setup, it just roasts 1-3rd making it difficult to use the power, with the exception for roll racing and highway pulls. Even a stock M4 is tail happy, the power just comes on hard in the low range, compared to our N55's. It's fun, but can be a disease because you eventually feel like the car is slow, again, and keep hunting for more and more HP, thus further sacrificing the handling/driving experience. This is where real time spent on the track, and even in a simulator, can really make you appreciate a well sorted, less powerful car. I've had 10 second drag cars, and they're fun, but nowhere near the joy this m235 gives me on a circuit/ mountain road. I guess I've just grown to appreciate the smaller things.

D
Yeah as much as I love my 2 it is not my car of choice for highway driving. I leave it at home and take one of the others.

If I were doing say 50 miles a day on the Turnpike or something I'd be looking at C43, 440 GC, even something like an S6.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      11-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #48
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Yeah as much as I love my 2 it is not my car of choice for highway driving. I leave it at home and take one of the others.

If I were doing say 50 miles a day on the Turnpike or something I'd be looking at C43, 440 GC, even something like an S6.
We were taught some unrepeatable double-time chants during BCT (Basic Combat Training) in 1967, Ft. Bliss, TX (don't ask me what the Bliss means, because I never figured that one out).

As to our firearms, our crusty drill Sergeants taught us this one:

"This is our rifle, this is our gun. One is for shooting, the other for fun."

Not unlike cars.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
Miata1387.00
      11-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #49
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:

For sure, and the next DD for me, will be a comfortable one.. Just time to let the fiance take a turn on a new car I usually pay my cars down pretty aggressively, so by the time we get her car paid down, the '16MY cars I'm eyeing will be coming off 2yr CPO's, namely the new Audi All-Roads, love them! I think it would be the perfect family car/DD to have in the stable with the 2er. They're tanks in the snow, too, which is a strong factor for where I live
      11-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #50
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Quote:

For sure, and the next DD for me, will be a comfortable one.. Just time to let the fiance take a turn on a new car I usually pay my cars down pretty aggressively, so by the time we get her car paid down, the '16MY cars I'm eyeing will be coming off 2yr CPO's, namely the new Audi All-Roads, love them! I think it would be the perfect family car/DD to have in the stable with the 2er. They're tanks in the snow, too, which is a strong factor for where I live
We had a 2016 allroad that thing was great and the new one is even better. You can't go wrong there.

Beyond that or a 330 to get a decent wagon you're looking at spending big dollars and getting a bigger car. Panamera, AmG etc.

The new midsize Volvo coming out next year is worth looking at too.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      11-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #51
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
We had a 2016 allroad that thing was great and the new one is even better. You can't go wrong there.

Beyond that or a 330 to get a decent wagon you're looking at spending big dollars and getting a bigger car. Panamera, AmG etc.

The new midsize Volvo coming out next year is worth looking at too.
The Q5 is also a great road trip vehicle. I tried to talk my wife into a smallish wagon, like an Allroad or 328, but she really wanted something which sat up a bit higher and was easier to get in and out of. There's a reason the crossover's / suv's are so popular. Even though it sits up a bit, it eats interstate highways like nothing else with a buttery smooth ride and still handles twisty, up and down two lane roadways almost as well as my m235i.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      03-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #52
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
The Q5 is also a great road trip vehicle. I tried to talk my wife into a smallish wagon, like an Allroad or 328, but she really wanted something which sat up a bit higher and was easier to get in and out of. There's a reason the crossover's / suv's are so popular. Even though it sits up a bit, it eats interstate highways like nothing else with a buttery smooth ride and still handles twisty, up and down two lane roadways almost as well as my m235i.
Yep...we've always had a MSV....for sixteen years it was a "Miata Support Vehicle"; now it's a "MINI Support Vehicle".....currently in the form of a 15.5 Volvo V60 Cross Country Platinum trim....great cruiser with real back seats and storage room. AWD is nice in the winters as well. It followed a leased BMW F31 M-Sport..but my wife wanted the higher seating position the Volvo crossover provided.
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #53
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I detail 911's, Boxsters and Caymans, I get to pick them up and take them back. The BoxsterS is my favorite as I like a vert and the performance is close to a Cayman. However, I couldn't afford any of them especially the 911 GT2RS I detailed in Feb. Loaded, it cost 242K.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #54
Snade
Das auto ist schnell.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i (all stock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post

2) Dodge Challenger RT. Because I always wanted one. Tons of power, heavy ride; heavy in a good way. Substantial. They smell nice. I love how decidedly underengineered these cars are. Easy to maintain, easy to work on, no complex electronics and gizmos that would cost a ton to fix. At around 40k it's priced in the middle of the pack.
I test drove a new Dodge Charger RT recently. Could not believe what a great car this was - just a perfect blend of power, sound, excellent suspension, and it did not feel heavy. I expect the Challenger is just as good or better and that Hemi engine is just superb. Right, not over-engineered, and one of the best values in cars today.

It was one of the best test drives I have ever experienced. I spent some time on the Charger forums doing research and the Charger / Challenger owners are a very loyal bunch that love these cars, and recent models get good grades for reliability.

If I had a three car garage I would own a Charger or Challenger.

The best value is a 2016 or 2017 Charger / Challenger RT - guys are trading them in early to upgrade to a Scat Pack and you can find them for $22k to $30k in great shape and low miles.

Guys on the European car forums give these cars no credibility, but few have ever driven one of the recent models.

Cheers,

Snade

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #55
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snade View Post
I test drove a new Dodge Charger RT recently. Could not believe what a great car this was - just a perfect blend of power, sound, excellent suspension, and it did not feel heavy. I expect the Challenger is just as good or better and that Hemi engine is just superb. Right, not over-engineered, and one of the best values in cars today.

It was one of the best test drives I have ever experienced. I spent some time on the Charger forums doing research and the Charger / Challenger owners are a very loyal bunch that love these cars, and recent models get good grades for reliability.

The best value is a 2016 or 2017 Charger / Challenger RT - guys are trading them in early to upgrade to a Scat Pack and you can find them for $22k to $30k in great shape and low miles.

Guys on the European car forums give these cars no credibility, but few have ever driven one of the recent models.

Cheers,

Snade
I've test-driven the late model 5.0 Mustangs a few times in the last several years, most recently in summer of 2016...I had a Mustang GT in high school, so I am biased, however, sitting behind what seems like a 10 foot hood, and listening to what sounds like a burbling through-hull boat exhaust while experiencing insane wheel hop into second gear puts a smile on your face in a way that no BMW ever could. I don't think I'll own a Mustang again, but that $h!t-eating grin is ear-to-ear!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #56
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The only Mustang in my opinion is a well modded 5.0 Notchback. My M235 totally reminds me of my old college roommate's 1990 5.0 LX notch. Today's Stang's are too damn big and heavy. I park next to new 5.0 at work and it's hilarious how much wasted space and volume there is in that car.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #57
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snade View Post

Cheers,

Snade
They're fun cars but they're crap cars from a crap company. I'd love me a wide body Challenger but deep down I know it's a crappy unreliable Dodge.
Appreciate 0