THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What do you wish you would have added to your car?

10-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #67
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
There is no more BMW leather smell as of a few years ago. They eliminated whatever the chemical or process they were using. It used to smell like buttery leather. Now it just smells like chemical leather.

Pretty much true in most of the entry level cars w/ leather. My C7 had top stitched leather, which looked great, but the car smelled like "Liquid Nails", when I bought it.

My M240i did not have a true leather smell either. It wasn't as noxious as the C7, but had a artificial processed smell for lack of a better description (thankfully not overpowering like the C7). Nothing like the smell of a new fine leather jacket or gloves.

I suppose there is a trade off when it comes to leather interiors. The more expensive stuff is a better grade and may actually be real tanned hides, dyed, cut and fitted to the car (rather than the shaved, processed and stamped stuff like Dakota). The downside to real good quality leather is its wear.

The stuff shows creases and folds over time and will stain pretty readily. There is a much higher maintenance level required w/ the better leather and generally looks pretty used after a few years. Also, if a driver is a bit on the heavy side, the sliding in and out of the car will turn the outside bolster to "suede" over time.

The "used" look is IMO a plus and a minus. For those that understand leather, see the folds and creases as broken in, while other see it as just "used".

Dakota will likely look new after 3-4 years, but so will the Sensatec (and save about $1500 on the cost of the car). I'd rather use that saved money for something more useful in the car. On a 440i, the difference can buy you a HUD, and a power sunshade, or for a few $ more, the HUD and Wireless charging w/ hot spot.

Compare the Dakota to the Napa or Merino and see the difference, then the Dakota to the Sensatec. Dakota and Sensatec are closer than Dakota is to Napa or Merino. I think Napa is Cow while Merino is Lamb. Dunno for sure. There is Cowhide, Calf hide, Lamb (kid leather).

http://blogs.youwheel.com/2015/05/03...her-explained/
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #68
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

That old-style quality leather would certainly be a worthy addition, and I was disappointed that the options were so different. I was originally set to get leather, thinking that was what it would be like, 'real leather' like I'd experienced in old Jags and Merc's - furniture/jacket quality. I'd probably be hating the wear by now, but THAT would be worth something; The Dakota that they offer seems almost as fake as the sensatec, but a lot more slippery/shiny.

For those who want the smell, Griots sells interior scents that include 'leather upholstery' - haven't tried it, but supposedly it is quite realistic.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #69
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
For those who want the smell, Griots sells interior scents that include 'leather upholstery' - haven't tried it, but supposedly it is quite realistic.
My first "mod" (after de-badging, of course) will be to add a small bag of roasted coffee beans under one of my Sensatec front seats. It's harder to lament the lack of leather smell when there's something equally evocative to be whiffed.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #70
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

You guys are talking about new car odors. The C6 and C7 Corvettes are just about as bad as it gets LOL Once the new car smell disappears, the Dakota leather does have a leather smell. I also don't understand the "slippery" observations regarding Dakota leather either. Mine is quite grippy for leather. I certainly don't slide around in it, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #71
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
There is no more BMW leather smell as of a few years ago. They eliminated whatever the chemical or process they were using. It used to smell like buttery leather. Now it just smells like chemical leather.
Quote:
Don't sweat it. You're better off not knowing what you're missing. Kind of like the kid who says "it makes no sense to drive a manual when you have these flappy paddles that go 'crazy-fast'". The kid is better off not knowing what he is missing. You must have just started driving BMWs.
Sure you don't want to edit one more time to attempt to impress with your vast BMW ownership experience? Reread your post and tell me you find it cohesive. First you say there's no more BMW leather smell as of a few years ago. Then you state they eliminated the chemical process and now it smells like chemical leather, where as it used to smell like "buttery leather". So it started smelling like chemical leather after they elimated the chemical process? Not sure what buttery leather is supposed to smell like, and furthermore, the sense of smell is rather subjective. I don't need to have owned multiple BMW's to know that if I sit in a new BMW with sensatec it doesn't smell the same as a new BMW with dakota.
      10-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #72
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Sure you don't want to edit one more time to attempt to impress with your vast BMW ownership experience? Reread your post and tell me you find it cohesive. First you say there's no more BMW leather smell as of a few years ago. Then you state they eliminated the chemical process and now it smells like chemical leather, where as it used to smell like "buttery leather". So it started smelling like chemical leather after they elimated the chemical process? Not sure what buttery leather is supposed to smell like, and furthermore, the sense of smell is rather subjective. I don't need to have owned multiple BMW's to know that if I sit in a new BMW with sensatec it doesn't smell the same as a new BMW with dakota.
Some people just want to argue for the sake of arguing (must be a millennial). Everyone knows they changed the leather production a few years ago. You're just proving to everyone that you have no idea what the leather used to smell like...not to mention you clearly have no idea what fine leather smells like.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #73
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Pretty much true in most of the entry level cars w/ leather. My C7 had top stitched leather, which looked great, but the car smelled like "Liquid Nails", when I bought it.
If you still have a chance and you find a relatively new Gen V Viper with the Laguna leather interior, smell it. One of the most amazing old school buttery leather smells out there. Some of the other hand built cars still have the old way of processing leathers but it seems that the whole industry has gone toward the newer way of processing leathers. IMO, current BMWs have more of that "liquid nails" smell compared to a few years back, but not as bad as the C7 as you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #74
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
The discussion about seating material made me start to wonder if either plasticized leather or Sensatec might cause less interior off-gassing than the other. Also wondering how badly a BMW will off-gas, generally speaking, compared to other brands. While I don't like the thought of breathing plastic vapors, mostly I don't like cleaning the smeary gunk off of interior windows.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #75
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
The discussion about seating material made me start to wonder if either plasticized leather or Sensatec might cause less interior off-gassing than the other. Also wondering how badly a BMW will off-gas, generally speaking, compared to other brands. While I don't like the thought of breathing plastic vapors, mostly I don't like cleaning the smeary gunk off of interior windows.
I don't change cars that often, but to me the BMW was better than our last 2 (Mazda and Honda); I have sensatec. Not a ton of off-gas residue to clean off, and not a very offputting chemical scent (I'm pretty sensitive to these, and it never bothered me like the other cars did for the first few weeks). It faded rather fast down to a modest level, now not s/t I notice most of the time. A trip to the dealership should net you some new cars to compare to see how much you care about Dakota vs. sensatec. Since 'leather smell' is really just a different bunch of gnarly chemicals, I haven't considered scenting to fake it; would surely work if you like that kind of thing, but I'm a less-is-better guy for scents.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #76
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
That old-style quality leather would certainly be a worthy addition, and I was disappointed that the options were so different. I was originally set to get leather, thinking that was what it would be like, 'real leather' like I'd experienced in old Jags and Merc's - furniture/jacket quality. I'd probably be hating the wear by now, but THAT would be worth something; The Dakota that they offer seems almost as fake as the sensatec, but a lot more slippery/shiny.

I saw that Zaino offers two products for leather, a cleaner and a reconditioner. The latter is advertised as providing new car smell. I may try the stuff, not because of its odor--I actually have no sense of smell whatsoever, so the odor is not going to do anything for me--but because I have had good experience with their polishing products and, after reading all about the problems people have had with the Dakota leather, I would like to keep it in good shape as best I can.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #77
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin View Post
Quote:

I saw that Zaino offers two products for leather, a cleaner and a reconditioner. The latter is advertised as providing new car smell. I may try the stuff, not because of its odor--I actually have no sense of smell whatsoever, so the odor is not going to do anything for me--but because I have had good experience with their polishing products and, after reading all about the problems people have had with the Dakota leather, I would like to keep it in good shape as best I can.
VLR is a great product, cheap, and can be used on all interior surfaces. I?ve been using it on all my cars for a while now and the results are top notch.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 04:47 PM   #78
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Since we are on the topic of "interior smell", has anyone tried this:

https://www.amazon.com/Smartwax-3010.../dp/B0028SHNMU

Have a friend who has a new 2017 C7 Grand Sport and also complained about the interior smell until he used the product listed above.
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #79
FX TR8R
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Seaside Blue 230i

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Wireless phone charging, so I could get Apple CarPlay. Other than that, nothing.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #80
junior1954
Vader
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive/Estoril Blue

Garage List
I wish I would have gotten the inductive phone charger.

I've owned a 2002, 328is, 330ic and a 335ic. This 240i x is my first automatic and first all wheel drive. I LOVE it-I did install Dinan's Elite tune. The 2 wheel drive is slower, particularly with the stick and doesn't go around corners as well as the xDrive in the wet or dry (I have staggered summer tires as well as snow tires). I resisted automatics and all wheel drive like many of you as stick is more engaging and it's fun to hang the ass end out but am gradually going over to the dark side for performance' sake. If you want noise and drama buy a 'Vette (I'd love one for weekends!). Also, I love the Harmon Kardon sound system. For me, the discreet hyper performance and luxury my car provides me meets more of my every day wants and needs than any other car I can afford.

Last edited by junior1954; 11-13-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0