THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Clutch STOP Review Manual transmission only

11-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
Weeknd
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Clutch STOP Review Manual transmission only

Hi guys
I was lucky enough to get selected to be trying a new clutch stop for manual transmission and here is my review about it.
First here is the link to buy it :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/E9X-BMW-CLUTC...53.m1438.l2649

He explains why is this one better then the BMS one
All the explanation is there with lots of details.

For my part i enjoyed how the shifts are way faster now....and i feel there is no more jerkiness if you dint shift perfectly anymore....
Also its almost impossible to stall the car cause the floor and friction point are very close to each others.
I feel that this 10$ piece did all the difference and wish i had it from the beginning.
Also this clutch stop is fully adjustable as you can remove some of the washers to modify it as you like....
Let me know if you have questions...
I was a proud customer and the guy selling it has been very helpful and friendly
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

They all accomplish the same thing and one can build one these themselves for a couple of bucks at Home Depot. Hell, I've used Legos as the shims and 3M tape to adhere to the clutch pedal housing.

The biggest issue I have with the clutch pedal is the catch point in the LAST 50% of travel. It's quite high and the catch point ends just right at where the brake pedal sits/rests. All these stops do is reduce the lower end of travel where there's some dead space. The stops do help you gauge the initial catch point earlier, but how far the clutch pedal ultimately goes through it's final catch point is rather annoying and excessive. When the clutch pedal is not depressed, it sits 1" higher than the brake pedal. You should be able to manage the clutch pedal by simply pivoting your heel while it's resting on the floorboard. You can't do that with the BMW clutch pedal because the pedal travels so far upwards. It requires you to lift your foot off the floor in the last 1" of travel. Dumb.

The real fix is the Ultimate Clutch Pedal which I plan on doing. Reduced clutch throw, reduced clutch take up/catch point, and heavier pedal. All good things, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
They all accomplish the same thing and one can build one these themselves for a couple of bucks at Home Depot. Hell, I've used Legos as the shims and 3M tape to adhere to the clutch pedal housing.

The biggest issue I have with the clutch pedal is the catch point in the LAST 50% of travel. It's quite high and the catch point ends just right at where the brake pedal sits/rests. All these stops do is reduce the lower end of travel where there's some dead space. The stops do help you gauge the initial catch point earlier, but how far the clutch pedal ultimately goes through it's final catch point is rather annoying and excessive. When the clutch pedal is not depressed, it sits 1" higher than the brake pedal. You should be able to manage the clutch pedal by simply pivoting your heel while it's resting on the floorboard. You can't do that with the BMW clutch pedal because the pedal travels so far upwards. It requires you to lift your foot off the floor in the last 1" of travel. Dumb.

The real fix is the Ultimate Clutch Pedal which I plan on doing. Reduced clutch throw, reduced clutch take up/catch point, and heavier pedal. All good things, IMO.
This is exactly what I'm after too. Do you think the UCP will do this? I've read reviews both ways, some love it, some can't tell a difference. I'd love a clutch that operates as you state with your heel not moving. If the UCP can do this, I'm all over this.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I'm with you on the clutch stop. Best $10 mod you can add to this car. I have the Burger stop and no regrets. I left it as is with the three washers when I first installed it, but there was no play at all and the clutch was engaging right at the floor. I removed one washer and now it grabs about an inch from the floor.

I'm actually fine with the clutch action on this car and don't see any need to modify it further. I also don't buy the seller's argument about his being superior to the BMS stop because his is metal and won't compress over time like a rubber stop would. I see no difference in mine after two plus years, and when you get down to it, the OEM stop was rubber/plastic as well.

Nonetheless, good job on adding the mod and good luck with it!
      11-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
Weeknd
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

What is that ?
Do you think the UCP will do this?
Appreciate 0