THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Swirl marks on brand new m240i w/ PCD

01-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #23
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

It's all been said, but I would never ask a dealer to fix your paint. They are hacks.

I recently got into detailing myself, and it's a lot of fun. I have a Griots orbital and some of their polishes and compounds. Total cost was well under the cost of a paint correction, and it's a lot of fun. Sounds like you could fix your paint with a decent finishing polish, which removes very little clear coat. I would recommend taking up detailing to any car enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #24
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
In my experience and based on what I've read on forums, it's almost impossible to keep minor swirl marks off the bodywork unless you're able to garage the car whenever it's not in use, spend a lot of time keeping it clean in the winter, and on top of that spend a lot of time detailing it regularly. I am lucky enough to be able to garage my car and as it's a convertible, I've never put it through a car wash, but even 'though I'm pretty careful, it's still got swirl marks from my washing. Now I'm only working part-time, I expected to spend more time detailing it but hey, I actually can't be bothered and prefer to pay someone else to do this. Instead, I have an annual budget to keep it in good condition, which includes dealing with car park minor dents, scratches, alloy kerbing etc. and an annual detail and interior valet. Not to say that taking detailing up on your own behalf isn't rewarding, just that it didn't appeal to me, but perhaps when I've stopped work completely ....
      01-09-2018, 04:41 AM   #25
ny176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340xi Msport

Hey congrats on the Car. I'd at least let it be known because it was your only request upon delivery. But like someone said, they may not take responsibility because of the elapsed time?

Also,:
      01-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #26
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'm betting that the DIY buffer crowd also keeps a few detailers in business - they've gotten better, but still have the ability to do some damage. Unless you want to go out into a salvage yard and practice on junkers, you'll want it done by a pro you can trust. Overall, my vote is to just enjoy driving it, and you can probably find a polish/wax combo that will hide most of the swirls w/ minimal extra work. On the other hand, if you want to impersonate the Griots Garage guy and detail it for recreation, consider this your incentive - you won't have to worry about whether it is wrong to clay bar and buffing a perfectly good paint job.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #27
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I'm betting that the DIY buffer crowd also keeps a few detailers in business - they've gotten better, but still have the ability to do some damage. Unless you want to go out into a salvage yard and practice on junkers, you'll want it done by a pro you can trust. Overall, my vote is to just enjoy driving it, and you can probably find a polish/wax combo that will hide most of the swirls w/ minimal extra work. On the other hand, if you want to impersonate the Griots Garage guy and detail it for recreation, consider this your incentive - you won't have to worry about whether it is wrong to clay bar and buffing a perfectly good paint job.

I agree- I know the products and polishes are designed to be idiot proof - but I also think people are being lulled into too much paint correction and paint prep - I think some is due to companies wanting to sell as much product as possible.
Don't know if it's true, but you read or see videos that either due to too much paint correction or accident repair - that the paint is too thin to wet sand.

I know that refraction off of surfaces and (angle of incidence), (thickness of a plane of glass:thickness of clear coat) are important for reflection, so why are some so anxious to polish down the clear coat.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00
      01-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #28
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I probably shouldn’t mention that I took my 2018 M240xi convertible through the BashTheDirtOff car wash in my neighborhood yesterday ...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #29
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I own a detailing business and take care of my vehicles myself. Always hand washed with a lambs wool mitt and 2 bucket wash system or Optimum Rinseless wash. Never driven in snow and garaged. Retired, so no need to take it to work.1 ding which cant be avoided but I have a guy who made it look like it never happened. The buffers and products offered by detailing sites are easy to use and with practice can do almost anything a pro can do. That is how I started and I love it.
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #30
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Quote:
While I agree that it's possible to cause damage, I totally disagree with this sentiment. My last car was an 09 Carrera that was horrendously neglected (paint-wise) when I got it. I had never used a machine, and I got it looking like a new car. If you're not a knuckhead, you can use a good DA with good product without causing damage.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      01-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #31
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
In my experience and based on what I've read on forums, it's almost impossible to keep minor swirl marks off the bodywork unless you're able to garage the car whenever it's not in use, spend a lot of time keeping it clean in the winter, and on top of that spend a lot of time detailing it regularly. I am lucky enough to be able to garage my car and as it's a convertible, I've never put it through a car wash, but even 'though I'm pretty careful, it's still got swirl marks from my washing. Now I'm only working part-time, I expected to spend more time detailing it but hey, I actually can't be bothered and prefer to pay someone else to do this. Instead, I have an annual budget to keep it in good condition, which includes dealing with car park minor dents, scratches, alloy kerbing etc. and an annual detail and interior valet. Not to say that taking detailing up on your own behalf isn't rewarding, just that it didn't appeal to me, but perhaps when I've stopped work completely ....
It's really not that hard to keep paint looking new and swirl free.

You just have to follow some simple rules like only hand washing using a quality mitt and a grit guard or using the two bucket method. Use a waffle weave towel to pat dry (not wipe). I actually use a leave blower to dry my car which leaves the finish flawless. From there a good sealant and wax will leave your car looking like new.

The less you touch your paint the better off you will be. Oh, and don't ever let anyone other than yourself clean it and you will be good to go.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #32
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
While I agree that it's possible to cause damage, I totally disagree with this sentiment. My last car was an 09 Carrera that was horrendously neglected (paint-wise) when I got it. I had never used a machine, and I got it looking like a new car. If you're not a knuckhead, you can use a good DA with good product without causing damage.
Yes, using a Dual Action polisher is very safe... you will not burn the paint as it prevents overheating by spinning in 2 ways...

now if you use a rotary polisher then you are on your own
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #33
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Yes, using a Dual Action polisher is very safe... you will not burn the paint as it prevents overheating by spinning in 2 ways...

now if you use a rotary polisher then you are on your own
Disclaimer that I'm firmly in the 'if you are rubbing, you are scratching' camp. I agree the new equipment is much improved, and pretty "safe", much more so for waxing than 'polishing' or 'correcting' - but they are NOT foolproof. Unless you are just using them for wax, I'd certainly recc that you practice on a junker - even random orbitals can cause damage, and over time they will wear down the paint surface even if you just use polish. Keep in mind, we are talking about somebody who is freaking over new car wash marks, so they probably want perfect, not 'good for a beginner'.

But the main thing is that I think they are way overselling these abrasive options nowadays. If you are using a 'polish' or correcting creams, you are removing material - that would be your clear coat. Check out one of those 'how we make 'em' videos and you'll see that there isn't much paint or clear coat on there to begin with (get through the clear, and we call it major damage). They do really improve a rough paint job, but at some potential cost. So my vote is to save the abrasives for when you really need them, and either trust a pro, or devote the time to get some skills first. Granted that this may be one of those times, but first try a good waxing to see if you can just fill the swirls in w/o having to grind.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #34
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Disclaimer that I'm firmly in the 'if you are rubbing, you are scratching' camp. I agree the new equipment is much improved, and pretty "safe", much more so for waxing than 'polishing' or 'correcting' - but they are NOT foolproof. Unless you are just using them for wax, I'd certainly recc that you practice on a junker - even random orbitals can cause damage, and over time they will wear down the paint surface even if you just use polish. Keep in mind, we are talking about somebody who is freaking over new car wash marks, so they probably want perfect, not 'good for a beginner'.

But the main thing is that I think they are way overselling these abrasive options nowadays. If you are using a 'polish' or correcting creams, you are removing material - that would be your clear coat. Check out one of those 'how we make 'em' videos and you'll see that there isn't much paint or clear coat on there to begin with (get through the clear, and we call it major damage). They do really improve a rough paint job, but at some potential cost. So my vote is to save the abrasives for when you really need them, and either trust a pro, or devote the time to get some skills first. Granted that this may be one of those times, but first try a good waxing to see if you can just fill the swirls in w/o having to grind.
If you want to fill in swirls/halograms without polishing use a glaze then follow up with a good synthetic polymer which is much better than wax. You can apply both products by hand if you are not experienced with a DA polisher.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #35
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
I probably shouldn’t mention that I took my 2018 M240xi convertible through the BashTheDirtOff car wash in my neighborhood yesterday ...
Shame.. but your not alone....

Have a neighbor that just took his 2018 Toyota Tacoma through the so called “touch-less” car wash last weekend. Unfortunately the touch-less apparatus snagged the windshield wiper of the previous car (this is what I was told…) and proceeded to TOUCH this new truck rather rudely leaving scrapes and dings on hood and roof. I asked him what were you thinking, a brand new vehicle? The damage seemed to match the description so I will take his word for it. The only vehicles I would take into these type of auto car washes, touch-less or touching is my step daughters 2010 Toyota Celica.
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #36
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

Yeah. It's a car, not a delicate little flower. I admit it, I'm a heathen. I admit I'd be ticked off if the thing flailed me with a wiper though
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #37
Rayscott
Major
Rep

The car wash is liable for that damage. My friend owns a car wash and his insurance covers issues like this. This is why I hand wash my vehicles. Car washes are the leading cause of swirls, holograms and scratches. If it's too cold to wash out side I use Sonax rinse less car wash.
Appreciate 0