THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M235i is Faster On Track Than 1M Coupe (Our 2 Series Interview From Detroit)

01-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #133
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
As long as you didn't pay over sticker it was a great deal.
Yes it was. I bought it when it was a bit more than one year old, 10k miles (BMW AG car from Munich) and 15k euros cheaper than new. And I got the whole 2 year BMW warranty stuff as well.

Cheers
Robin
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #134
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Are you talking about the e-diff (aka rear brakes) grabbing the brakes on turns and releases ones the car straightens and give you that boost???
A mechanical LSD is a for sure thing, it is consistent and you can count on that. An e-Diff wants to do many things, never letting you know what it's up to... second guessing Me.

ie: erratic

An e-diff should never be on any performance orientated BMW. It's absurd!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #135
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Totally random question--does anyone know if the Xenons from the E82 are the ones being used in the M235?

I ask because my lights don't seem as bright as other BMW models, just curious if they had been upgraded somehow in the interim.
      01-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #136
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

+1 !!!
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #137
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25
Totally random question--does anyone know if the Xenons from the E82 are the ones being used in the M235?

I ask because my lights don't seem as bright as other BMW models, just curious if they had been upgraded somehow in the interim.
Should all be a standard 42k osram or philip bulb
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #138
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
While the 1M is very fast, it was really designed to be a brutal, raw, fun, and an analogue machine in a time where electronics, adaptable suspensions, etc. are becoming the norm. The 1M's performance has always been underrated by BMW (as stated in previous posts) to protect the M3 from a marketing perspective. I would expect that in side by side comparisons with the same driver and on the same day that the 1M would indeed be faster on many tracks due to its power-to-weight ratio and larger rubber. However, there are some features of the M235i that would make it faster on some tracks:
  • Better Rubber - The stock PSSs are a significant upgrade to the stock PS2s on the 1M
  • "Better Transmission" - the auto 8 speed is likely faster than the manual - even Chris Harris preferred it in his review of the M135i
  • Better Aero - the 1M is about as aerodynamic as a flying brick due to its fender flairs and brunt nose (also gives it a unique character)
  • Adaptive/More Compliant Suspension - the 1M has a very stiff spring rate that has been noted by some drivers/reviewers to make it perform slower on some tracks
  • Longer Wheelbase - better handling on high speed tracks the ability to put down power easier (even driven at 5-6/10ths the 1M will have the traction control light flashing constantly)
  • Better DTC/STC - longer development time (including the M135i) allowed BMW to better tune the stability control programs
Given all of this, slap some PSSs on the 1M and its likely going to be the faster car in the real world. Also, the 1M will always be better at this:

Preach!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #139
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
That value is overrated...

It's just a Bastardized M Car.

In Germany people see it as a M Performance Model not a true and proper M Car. Imagine that!
Yes the price is probably overrated, and maybe you can call it bastardized too like the original M1 built partially by Lambourghini or the E30 motor as half of a V8. Bastardized too? M-Sport models do not get bespoke bodies. The 1M body's sheetmetal was different than 1 series. Remember the bulging fenders? That was different sheetmetal not a body kit. M-Sport cars get stiffer suspension but still mostly steel shock housings, etc. 1M had all aluminum suspension, I believe even the shock casings were aluminum. It brought air curtains which all new M cars are getting. It was a manual which the majority of German M buyers still prefer. It had real exhaust sound not "digitally enhanced" and no sunroof. It had an analog temp gauge, lightened flywheel, ///M full-lock differential, composite, cross drilled M brakes and no sunroof.

Regardless, I don't expect you to change your opinion but to throw such bunk about Germans not considering it a real M car is very BIG statement.

I spent 2 weeks in Germany picking up my 1M. It was the only 1M delivered that day at Welt. One of the German Welt delivery guys that delivers M3s and M5s and M6s all year round ran over from delivering another car in the carousel next door and said...."this is the one I would get.....old school M car" I pressed him saying he was just being polite and he assured me no, this was the car for him, smaller, lighter, more raw than recent ones. Throughout the whole time in Germany and Austria, Germans and Austrians would thumb-up, rubber neck when I drove it into the service station. When I finally made it to ///M in Garching and met some of the M staff, I asked them that same questions because so many of M snobs were saying it was not a real M car because of the engine. They laughed at me and said, NO, this is a real M car and they loved it. I asked if I could pay extra and get a blue 1M and they said, "no. Sorry, the Prince of Munich who races BMWs asked the same question and we had to tell him no. So if we won't do it for the Prince of Munich, we won't do it for you." Then I asked, what did the prince get? He told me he got the exact car I got, a no options white 1M because he is a racer and car guy.

So I am not sure how you can make a statement for the millions of M people in Germany that I believe to be grossly innacurate but if that is true, I would love to know. Dackelone lives in Germany and is an forum leader.

Dackel is it true that Germans consider the 1M an M-Sport car and not a real ///M car?

Last edited by nachob; 05-14-2014 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #140
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
...Dackel is it true that Germans consider the 1M an M-Sport car and not a real ///M car?
I think most Germans consider it a special ///M car - that is rare to see driven at speed. The 1M was and IS the "back to basics" for ///M GmbH. One of the best products to come out of the ///M skunk works in a long, long time too. It's funny when people say the 1M is not a real ///M car, then yet fully embrace the new M's. ///M has to keep evolving otherwise it will be dead. One only needs to look at the new ///M models to see this "new direction".

Just because the 1M used off the shelf parts doesn't mean it is no less special... and lets not get started on it not having a "S" engine vs a "N" engine. Quite the contrary. ///M built one hell of a package, and the people who one one know it. Heck even when a bunch of us Euro 1Addicts get together for a road trip... everyone always looks at the 1M's in our group.
Appreciate 0