THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics iDrive crash

08-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
buumer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB M235i

iDrive crash

Initially started getting very odd warning messages about Low tire pressure on all 4 tires. Went to check and everything looked to be in good order. Start up the car and the iDrive just shows the BMW logo and that's it. Tried to turn the car off and on, no luck. Then googled how to "reset" the system (mute and eject) and still nothing. Been like that for 2 days, and not only is the iDrive not working, but I can't switch driving modes or turn off tc. The system goes blank every 10 minutes or so and the BMW logo pops up again, guessing it's trying to restart itself.

Car has 23k miles on it and the dealer doesn't have any spots until next week. Anyone have anything similiar to this happen?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2020 F44 BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buumer View Post
Initially started getting very odd warning messages about Low tire pressure on all 4 tires. Went to check and everything looked to be in good order. Start up the car and the iDrive just shows the BMW logo and that's it. Tried to turn the car off and on, no luck. Then googled how to "reset" the system (mute and eject) and still nothing. Been like that for 2 days, and not only is the iDrive not working, but I can't switch driving modes or turn off tc. The system goes blank every 10 minutes or so and the BMW logo pops up again, guessing it's trying to restart itself.

Car has 23k miles on it and the dealer doesn't have any spots until next week. Anyone have anything similar to this happen?
Haven't had that issue to that extent...
I did have an issue with my iDrive a year ago where it just restarted randomly once but I literally took it straight to BMW after it happened and they just updated the software for me and since then no issues...

Yours might be a complete malfunction of the system? Maybe the harddrive, I have no idea... I suggest booking it in with your dealer, rather be safe than sorry.

Do let us know what the outcome is when you know
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Oh noes we got the first virus in a BMW Were you surfing websites that you shouldn't have /// But in all seriousness take it to the dealer asap sounds really bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
buumer
Private First Class
Rep

Took it into the dealer and they tried some quick fixes. Nothing worked, and apparently the next steps are to either reprogram the system or order a new control unit. Luckily the car is drivable, but it's almost in a complete limp mode. It sounds like they haven't seen anything like this before(although the internet seems to have a few cases in older cars).

Didn't even think this could be such a problem...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buumer View Post
Took it into the dealer and they tried some quick fixes. Nothing worked, and apparently the next steps are to either reprogram the system or order a new control unit. Luckily the car is drivable, but it's almost in a complete limp mode. It sounds like they haven't seen anything like this before(although the internet seems to have a few cases in older cars).

Didn't even think this could be such a problem...
Mine had something similar, iDrive was resetting for a few minutes after startup. It would come up after about 20minutes, but in any case, I took it in, and the replaced the screen and control unit.
      08-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
buumer
Private First Class
Rep

3 days in the shop to replace the entire iDrive control unit. Surprising that it failed, but just glad there is warranty to cover the electric parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

There are various threads on this, but I'll put my latest update here.

I had since I bought the car the idrive reboot (whereby it reboots after a drive + park + restart shortly). Reboots always were two or three in a row then it would stay up.

Software update made no change

They then replaced the head unit. So far, no issues.

It took them one full day (w/ one overnight) once they had the parts.
      08-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
SliChillax
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: Ex BMW owner, will return soon

Garage List
I've had an issue once with the screen turning black and saying "no signal" in red. There was a weird sound coming through the speakers and then everything restarted. Happened while driving.
Appreciate 0