THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum How long did your new car smell last?

06-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #23
Zandar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 230i

Garage List
2017 230i  [0.00]
Isn't new car smell just the off-gassing of the petroleum-based glues and plastics in the car? My car doesn't really have a new car smell and I am fine with that (I've had it four weeks). I would rather have no smell than toxins floating around the inside of my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #24
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Isn't new car smell just the off-gassing of the petroleum-based glues and plastics in the car? My car doesn't really have a new car smell and I am fine with that (I've had it four weeks). I would rather have no smell than toxins floating around the inside of my car.
This.
      06-04-2017, 10:30 PM   #25
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
It has tons of off gassing, solvents and glues curing.. Perhaps marketing and R&D has hit your, "sweet note", as they have with millions for the past hundred years. For some it was "VINYL!!!" and the sickening sweet smell that went along with it.. Others, it was leather and other materials. Regardless, the VOC's are there..

It's an evil part of marketing of the products we already appreciate.. There's more than the exhilaration and perception of, "performance" that can easily be manipulated, but the other senses are always waiting to be sold....

I took in the smell of my car the day I took delivery, and knew some of it was planned out and mapped with multiple surveys and bounced back and forth between R&D and production..

Still the best line of blow ever, but I knew what I was buying when I walked in to, "My Dealer"....
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 12:15 AM   #26
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix

Also no food and drinks except water, not disposable plastic bottles but reusable...except I broke my own rule today but inhaling two small ice cream cups. I was very careful and no one saw me.

I've been driving with windows down so I don't need to work hard as a filter bag for the off gassing. The only smell I still notice is when I open my sun roof. Oil or grease smell.

My parents' new car smell was so strong and stuck around for a couple of months prob due to the fact they went with non leather interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 12:37 AM   #27
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
I am the kind of person who stays away from people who smoke anywhere.

Next /
pat yourself on the back...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 03:07 AM   #28
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
I am the kind of person who stays away from people who smoke anywhere.

Next /
pat yourself on the back...
Absolutely why not.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 05:31 AM   #29
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
If we can return to the thread . . .
It is a good thing that there is less new car smell. It means that the regulators have been effective in forcing manufacturers to use less toxic materials.
Maybe we should ask what type of air freshener people use. Talk about toxic!
Appreciate 0