THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Headlight affected from lowering springs?

05-02-2016, 02:16 AM   #1
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Headlight affected from lowering springs?

Hi all,

Anyone happen to notice their headlights affected after installing springs or any other suspension mod?

I feel my headlights are aimed a bit low after driving some other cars (with halogen) recently. This should have bothered my in the past so I feel like something was affected when my Dinan springs were installed last month.

Any insight is appreciated
      05-02-2016, 06:08 AM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

There is a right height sensor in the front/rear. Maybe they need a relearn once things are adjusted ?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
There is a right height sensor in the front/rear. Maybe they need a relearn once things are adjusted ?
Don't think you can re-learn the sensor.... you just use the screw on each headlight to adjust the height... one way pushes it higher the other lower.. there is a hole on the chassis coming from the top where the hood meets the headlight and with a long screw driver you can adjust it
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Don't think you can re-learn the sensor.... you just use the screw on each headlight to adjust the height... one way pushes it higher the other lower.. there is a hole on the chassis coming from the top where the hood meets the headlight and with a long screw driver you can adjust it
I think I see what you're talking about. Can't tell if the screw is a hex or a phillips head though...

That said, is it possible that my headlights were somehow affected during my suspension install? I just feel like I shouldn't adjust anything on my own if that's how my lights were from the factory.
      05-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
I think I see what you're talking about. Can't tell if the screw is a hex or a phillips head though...

That said, is it possible that my headlights were somehow affected during my suspension install? I just feel like I shouldn't adjust anything on my own if that's how my lights were from the factory.
It's a plastic white phillips screw if i remember correctly....

well if you are say 2inches lower all around your lights will actually point lower cause you reduced the height.... and because you also lower the rear i believe the car wouldn't be able to tell...

Say you put the car on a lift, the headlights are not going to adjust to iluminate the same as when you are on the ground...

I had to adjust when i put the LCA as it changes the angle of the leveling sensor rod
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:59 AM   #6
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
It's a plastic white phillips screw if i remember correctly....

well if you are say 2inches lower all around your lights will actually point lower cause you reduced the height.... and because you also lower the rear i believe the car wouldn't be able to tell...

Say you put the car on a lift, the headlights are not going to adjust to iluminate the same as when you are on the ground...

I had to adjust when i put the LCA as it changes the angle of the leveling sensor rod
Gotcha. I think I'm going to just pull the trigger and adjust the the headlights myself in a few days. I believe it is clockwise to raise the lights.

On the bright side (pun unintended lol), it seems like my headlights levels are equal between both sides. So I will make the same adjustments on both sides.