THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System

03-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #463
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimeow View Post
just visited fiio official site.
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/39

i wonder how a single hole can serve as both an analogue line out and a digital PDIF coax out.

do you switch it in the setting menu? or is it self-detected? or the two things are simply the same thing with two different names? so confusing.

So have u ever A/B the earphone out and line out on the 235i?

p.s. I don't listen to music when I am not driving. If I buy the fiio, it will only be used solely on the 235i. This is why I want to find out if it is noticible in the 235i case and only the 235i case.

The same way a single 3.5mm jack functions as an optical out and analog line out on older Mac Minis -- it's wired to function as either an analog or digital output. Dual-purpose jacks like that are more and more common these days to save space. (Another example: The 3.5mm jack on my NAD receiver at home functions as both an input and output: an input for DMPs, and an output for a room-correction microphone.) The function for the FiiO's line-out jack (analog vs. SPDIF) is changed in the unit's settings menu.

The 2 Series does not have a dedicated Line Out and/or headphone jack. Those are outputs. IOW, the FiiO has three outputs (headphone, line out, SPDIF out); the car as two inputs (USB, Aux In).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #464
daimeow
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

The 2 Series does not have a dedicated Line Out and/or headphone jack. Those are outputs. IOW, the FiiO has three outputs (headphone, line out, SPDIF out); the car as two inputs (USB, Aux In).
what I mean is can the aux in on our car make use of the line out of the fiio; or the advantage is so insignificant that only a golden ear can tell?

again, the fiio is of no use to me except as a player on the 235i
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #465
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimeow View Post
what I mean is can the aux in on our car make use of the line out of the fiio; or the advantage is so insignificant that only a golden ear can tell?

again, the fiio is of no use to me except as a player on the 235i
I answer that question in post #461 here. Short answer: yes. That's how I use it.

As to whether it's an improvement: That's up to conjecture. I hear a slight difference. But it can't hurt.

I'll put it this way -- The FiiO is designed to be two things: a portable personal DMP and a high-quality source unit in a larger system. Most portable DMPs only function well as the first thing -- including iPods, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #466
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You should update the title of this thread to include "do not ask ANY audio questions before reading" and aMods can we make this a sticky?
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      03-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #467
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Not a big audio worrier. HK works for me. It was already in my 228ix which I purchased from the dealers inventory. It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #468
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I've read the thread, many are happy with the Eton/JL combo. I wonder if anyone has tried to install the JL speakers in the front door panel. The two advantages that comes to mind are cost savings and continuity of speaker type. I realize that the stock HK tweeters have a more ideal position in the cockpit, but the position of the door speakers is not really that bad for tweeters either.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #469
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I've read the thread, many are happy with the Eton/JL combo. I wonder if anyone has tried to install the JL speakers in the front door panel. The two advantages that comes to mind are cost savings and continuity of speaker type. I realize that the stock HK tweeters have a more ideal position in the cockpit, but the position of the door speakers is not really that bad for tweeters either.
The JL's in the rear are a coaxial speaker the ones in the front door are mid range in door and separate tweeter in the pillar. So, I don't know how that would sound with the tweeter near your leg vs up by your head...my guess would be not so good and thus nobody is going that route.
      03-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #470
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
The JL's in the rear are a coaxial speaker the ones in the front door are mid range in door and separate tweeter in the pillar. So, I don't know how that would sound with the tweeter near your leg vs up by your head...my guess would be not so good and thus nobody is going that route.
I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. To my ears, the Etons are the more natural sounding speaker and the separate tweeters in the pillars add clarity. They are more like good quality hi-fi speakers than the JLs. I can understand that some people might like the boosted upper end of the JLs as compared with the Etons. Some of that effect might be lost, however, because the tweeter section of the JL coax would be aiming at carpets, pants legs, and seat obstruction, so the high end could easily be muffled. As AlpsRider says, it'd be helpful to hear from someone who has actually installed them.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #471
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. To my ears, the Etons are the more natural sounding speaker and the separate tweeters in the pillars add clarity. They are more like good quality hi-fi speakers than the JLs. I can understand that some people might like the boosted upper end of the JLs as compared with the Etons. Some of that effect might be lost, however, because the tweeter section of the JL coax would be aiming at carpets, pants legs, and seat obstruction, so the high end could easily be muffled. As AlpsRider says, it'd be helpful to hear from someone who has actually installed them.
May be interesting to experiment with a center if running just 4 coax speakers in the car. Could theoretically lift the sound stage a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #472
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweedman View Post
I started the process today. I'm planning on doing all of the suggestions in this thread except for installing Eton PRX 110.2's in the rear. The sensitivity on the JL's is just too low. I often listen to my music loud and I find the volume is already 3/4 of the way up at times.

1 - I first did the front center channel disconnect. As discussed, this definitely helps with the separation. I spent the last five years in an Acura with Pro Logic 2, and have to admit though I do miss the discrete center channel.

2 - Second I installed the Technic's ASD bypass. This is a must do. The sound quality is so much better with this.

3 - I have the Eton fronts - no time to install this weekend.

4 - Rears are on their way.

5 - Door seals are on their way.

So far with 1 and 2 only, I had to turn my treble down even more than the couple clicks that I initially had it at. Wow, it's amazing how horrible the factory speakers are. I'm looking forward to getting the Eton's installed. I have a feeling that I will still want the Bimmertech amp though to be able to dial everything in correctly.
Aweedman,
Could you comment on the Eton PRX 110.2, how did they sound in the rear deck?

Edit: I just found the speakers that the Eton compatibility chart http://www.eton-gmbh.com/fileadmin/u...st_bmw_web.pdf shows fitting perfectly in the back deck. The 2 way B100 N http://www.eton-gmbh.com/en/products...oduct/b-100-n/ and the coaxial B100 X N http://www.eton-gmbh.com/en/products...uct/b-100-x-n/. It looks like those are a perfect match to the B100 W that many here have ordered.

Has anyone tried either of these speakers? The B100 X N can be purchased online for about the same price as the JL Audio C2-400x.

ARS24.com in Germany ships to the US. Eton B100 W + B100 X N coaxial comes out to $352. shipped out the door.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 03-28-2017 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #473
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't know if it is appropriate to list a link to a company's install video, but if you search bavsound f22 you will come up with a great video on how to install all of the speakers in the F22.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #474
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if it is appropriate to list a link to a company's install video, but if you search bavsound f22 you will come up with a great video on how to install all of the speakers in the F22.
I used that video as well the instructions are excellent. The written ones I posted were super helpful too.

Reading is one thing but seeing is another.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #475
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

http://www.extremeaudio.de/eton-b100...n-b-100-w.html
NM, these are the right speakers

Just ordered

Last edited by Vyruz Reaper; 04-01-2017 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #476
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
NM, these are the right speakers

Just ordered
Actually, do these come with the tweeters?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #477
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Yes:

"...25 mm fabric with neodymium magnet."
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #478
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I have a question and hoping someone has the answer. It's not a big deal, just want to know what the cause could be. I installed the JL's a few Weeks ago and ever since I get a slight speaker pop as soon as I open the door (power to the car).

Just wondering why a simple rear speaker deck change would lead to this one-time "pop" or crackle then fine until the next time.

Should I have grounded one or both of the JL's?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #479
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
Yes:

"...25 mm fabric with neodymium magnet."
One quick note on ExtremeAudio, if you want the German Steuer tax to be removed from the cart, you have to request it by email, otherwise you can order from ARS24, they will remove the tax automatically in the cart and their shipping is only 14 euros.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #480
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
I have a question and hoping someone has the answer. It's not a big deal, just want to know what the cause could be. I installed the JL's a few Weeks ago and ever since I get a slight speaker pop as soon as I open the door (power to the car).

Just wondering why a simple rear speaker deck change would lead to this one-time "pop" or crackle then fine until the next time.

Which amp are you running: OEM or an aftermarket unit? Are you running the ASD Delete harness?

I'm willing to bet that the 'pop' has always been there, but it was not very audible (if at all) through the OEM rear speakers. But if you're running an aftermarket amp, keep in mind that the base volume level of the rear speakers doubles (at least) from OEM. If the pop is not very loud, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      04-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #481
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post

Which amp are you running: OEM or an aftermarket unit? Are you running the ASD Delete harness?

I'm willing to bet that the 'pop' has always been there, but it was not very audible (if at all) through the OEM rear speakers. But if you're running an aftermarket amp, keep in mind that the base volume level of the rear speakers doubles (at least) from OEM. If the pop is not very loud, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Thanks VMike. I'm still running with the OEM amp and no ASD harness installed. Maybe it was always there as you pointed out. Appreciate the reply.

Nice post on your recent install btw. Very professional installation.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #482
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Was there a DIY or step by step for the rear JLs? Can't seem to find them - maybe im too jet lagged lol

Edit: Bah, just realized i need the pigtail connectors and I can't find them on eBay. Do i still need them for the m240? I would rather not splice wires. If I still need them, anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks!

Last edited by Vyruz Reaper; 04-04-2017 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #483
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
Was there a DIY or step by step for the rear JLs? Can't seem to find them - maybe im too jet lagged lol

Edit: Bah, just realized i need the pigtail connectors and I can't find them on eBay. Do i still need them for the m240? I would rather not splice wires. If I still need them, anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks!
Search BMW OEM Speaker Connector Harness Pigtail
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #484
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Search BMW OEM Speaker Connector Harness Pigtail
I think I bought the last pair...sorry.