THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning aFe Drop-in filter

07-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #23
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125
Injen. From what I have compiled it's kinda much of the draw wether you throw a code or not . For me the intake sounded awesome but was giving me rough idle issues , a cel, and bogging at a low rpm.

I have the intake back in now and running maf delete tr e and I have had no issues since.
Injen here as well. I had it for a couple of months with no issues. Now I'm getting a CEL. Really really really like the sound though, so I'd rather not remove it. Is there any way to fix it?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #24
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Injen here as well. I had it for a couple of months with no issues. Now I'm getting a CEL. Really really really like the sound though, so I'd rather not remove it. Is there any way to fix it?
So I tried removing it and cleaning the maf with maf sensor cleaner which solved the issue temporarily. I would still get the bogging and rough cold start issues every once and a while though.

If you run the jb4 tune you can unplug your maf if you have everything set up properly. Once you do that everything should run fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #25
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

So I reinstalled the Afe making sure everything was perfect. No hissing noises or issues or any Cel's at all. In sport mode, you can definitely here a difference with this drop in with induction noises. It was less of a windy day yesterday and the windows were down so I could really enjoy it. I'll be leaving it in for now as I ponder my next full intake system. I've narrowed it down to either:

AFe CAI pro dry s open filter
Afe momentum pro dry s closed filter
Dinan CAI

I like all three as none require any sort of cutting, soldering, modifying to the stock vehicle in anyway based on what I read in the directions and each can be put back to stock at anytime(correct me if I am wrong). Also nothing that I read indicates issues with these specific intakes during winter with bogging or idle issues without a tune(read BMS does). I do not plan on tuning as my future plans really only look like an intake and MPE exhaust as its a lease and don't want to have issues. The car has plenty of pep for now for me

Two of them are closed boxes which in my opinion gives me mixed feelings. I like the feeling of cooler air but cant tell if they pull air from outside using stock components to the intake chamber. It looks like they do but not sure. These two I also can't tell if they will make the forced induction noises louder(which I absolutely love; opinion based I know)

The Afe open filter CAI I'm sure generates tons of phenomenal forced induction noises but I was a little wary of how it looks like it's going to suck in all the hot air and it looks like nothing is bringing cold air to the intake air, not even the stock components of the vehicle. I don't wanna any drivability issues and I haven't read any on this one from anyone but would love feedback.

Any feedback would be great on these three intakes for me. Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #26
Tyresian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230xi

Just to add some more the the discussion of the drop-in filter. I installed one this past weekend into my 2015 335ix M Sport with MPPK (so I believe that is the same intake as the M235).

I'm not really noticing any additional sounds (most of the sound improvement came with the MPPK Air Box).

On the fitment, it certainly IS tighter and was difficult to get it to feel like it was seated right, but I do not have any gaps, just was a tight clamp to fit the top of the box back on.

But one thing I really wanted to do here is I've been logging my car's data with OBD Fusion on Android with a Scantool OBDLink LX reader. So with the new filter at low speeds the Mass Airflow Rate seems to be very similar. But under hard acceleration and/or higher speeds I do seem to be getting consistently higher results. Whether it makes any difference or not, I can't really speak to that.

Also my Intake Air Temperature seems to be a few degrees cooler across the board at the same ambient temperature. Now I don't have humidity numbers to compare and there could be a lot of other factors but in comparing the data at least that is something. But really we are talking 2-4 Degrees Fahrenheit cooler which isn't a big difference but at least it isn't worse. Doing highway driving at higher ambient temps I also saw the same or lower IAT with the AFE filter vs lower ambient with the stock filter. That seems pretty impressive to me. But again without taking every factor into account it is hard to say.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #27
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyresian
Just to add some more the the discussion of the drop-in filter. I installed one this past weekend into my 2015 335ix M Sport with MPPK (so I believe that is the same intake as the M235).

I'm not really noticing any additional sounds (most of the sound improvement came with the MPPK Air Box).

On the fitment, it certainly IS tighter and was difficult to get it to feel like it was seated right, but I do not have any gaps, just was a tight clamp to fit the top of the box back on.

But one thing I really wanted to do here is I've been logging my car's data with OBD Fusion on Android with a Scantool OBDLink LX reader. So with the new filter at low speeds the Mass Airflow Rate seems to be very similar. But under hard acceleration and/or higher speeds I do seem to be getting consistently higher results. Whether it makes any difference or not, I can't really speak to that.

Also my Intake Air Temperature seems to be a few degrees cooler across the board at the same ambient temperature. Now I don't have humidity numbers to compare and there could be a lot of other factors but in comparing the data at least that is something. But really we are talking 2-4 Degrees Fahrenheit cooler which isn't a big difference but at least it isn't worse. Doing highway driving at higher ambient temps I also saw the same or lower IAT with the AFE filter vs lower ambient with the stock filter. That seems pretty impressive to me. But again without taking every factor into account it is hard to say.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #28
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyresian View Post

Seems like the drop in throws a code P00BD under hard acceleration/high speeds but it's ok for daily driving...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #29
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
My intake mods went like this

1. Stock 3 months
2. Stock airbox with AFE drop in 2 months
3. Mppk airbox with AFE drop in 2 months
4. Stock airbox with AFE drop in and AFE air scoop 2years
5. Current - Dinan cai with AFE air scoop - 4 months onwards

Best bang for the buck was nr 4 - via JB4 app I could see IATs were lower than before and PWM was also lower. Throttle response/pickup improved too.

With Dinan CAI -more cash but then improved IAT, PWM and throttle response further and with added noise.

Ryan -Dinan cai reuses lower part of oem airbox.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #30
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee
Quote:
My intake mods went like this

1. Stock 3 months
2. Stock airbox with AFE drop in 2 months
3. Mppk airbox with AFE drop in 2 months
4. Stock airbox with AFE drop in and AFE air scoop 2years
5. Current - Dinan cai with AFE air scoop - 4 months onwards

Best bang for the buck was nr 4 - via JB4 app I could see IATs were lower than before and PWM was also lower. Throttle response/pickup improved too.

With Dinan CAI -more cash but then improved IAT, PWM and throttle response further and with added noise.

Ryan -Dinan cai reuses lower part of oem airbox.
BP what is the mppk airbox? Do I have that already on my m235i?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 02:21 AM   #31
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
BP what is the mppk airbox? Do I have that already on my m235i?
Ryan,

No - M235i comes with standard airbox which means lower part is completed sealed.

MPPK lower airbox section has a hole in it - see photo below taken from this F30post thread, with bright red extra inlet clearly visible.

According to Realoem:-

F3x 335i shares same part # as Mx35i for airbox [137 176 05645];
F3x MPPK part # for airbox component part [ie no lid] is 11122334344.

M2 has similar lower airbox section, hole surround is not red but black, for extra air feed via the additional air intake [red section on MPPK].

My experience is that sealed airbox with air scoop [creating a ram air effect] works better than MPPK / M2 lower airbox part with no air scoop.

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..

Last edited by Bee Pee; 07-27-2016 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #32
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting BP, I wonder why they put a hole in it like that. IMO, I would assume its going to suck in hotter air from that area but I'm no expert. That must make more induction noise having a huge hole in it on the side. Funny, when I google it, it comes as an "intake silencer" LOL. I would doubt this is more silent that the stock M235i intake. When you used this BP, you just ordered the bottom piece?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #33
Tyresian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Ryan,
No - M235i comes with standard airbox which means lower part is completed sealed.
Thank you, I wasn't aware that that the M235 doesn't use the MPPK airbox, interesting stuff here.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #34
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
When you used this BP, you just ordered the bottom piece?
Yes - noise only, ironic eh ! Part # to quote for ordering is 11122334344, namely "M PERFORMANCE Intake muffler" - item # 2 in the image below.

I'd save your cents, fit an AFE DAS instead...read my post [#4] in the thread below

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ighlight=scoop

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0