THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Interior Trim Removal

07-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #23
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
The full carbon fibre trim kit is matched by additional replacement pieces for the gear shift and gaiter surround (RHD part nos):

51 16 2 343 740 - M Performance Gear Selector.
61 31 2 250 698 - M Performance Gear Selector Knob

I planned to put these on but thought I'd have a go at just re-painting the rather naff silver plastic gaiter at the base of the shift as a starter. I did, and this is what it the final result looks like:

And I think I'll leave it at that, given the main inserts are the 'High-gloss Black / Oxide Silver Finisher'

The only thing I found - to my cost - on the previous car with high gloss black was that the bristles on my vacuum cleaner slightly scratched the surface. So this time 'round it's cleaned with fabric cloth only.

I like the carbon fibre and alcantara but the HGB looks just as good, in my opinion, with the exception of the stick gaiter. I think if I'd painted or CF'd the stick shift it would looks slightly odd, unless I also painted/CF'd the lateral strips below the vents. And then it's all getting too much effort. Also, painting the oxide silver part properly took 48h, as I followed the drying instructions for the various base, primer and matte black coats. I'm not sure I'd like to have the car's other trim off for that long, even with no complications.

If anyone want to see the process for removing the shift base panel and the oxide gaiter base, I can post them. Like others here, I was very nervous about just how much force to use, and where, in order to remove the trim.

My advice for anyone replacing trim would be

1. Perhaps try what I've done first, to give you experience/confidence (the shift plate and gaiter base).
2. Get a trim kit - plastic, not metal.
3. Use fingers/hand force as much as possible or lever with trim tool - don't use pliers/screwdrivers
4. Get some thin plastic (thinner than the trim tools) against which you lever the tool when extracting.

I used a guitar plectrum to initially lever the shift plate up and then used the trim tool agaist this - never directly on exposed trim.

Last edited by msej449; 07-26-2016 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0