THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions memory seat gong

10-16-2016, 11:35 PM   #23
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
No way to code it back?
Not so far. It may come back with firmware downgrade or future upgrades.
How do we know that if bmw has released a new version? It is not like apple announces its iOS and media are all over it. Bmw.com/update always says mine is up to date. Only available thru dealer? Have to call them to find out? Free upgrade? Pain in my ass
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #24
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
How do we know that if bmw has released a new version? It is not like apple announces its iOS and media are all over it. Bmw.com/update always says mine is up to date. Only available thru dealer? Have to call them to find out? Free upgrade? Pain in my ass
I get the latest releases of ISTA-P. From there, I extract both full and lite Psdzdata and distribute to those that need.

Updates can be done by a service center. There are risks involved, but they can also be done yourself, if you have the right software and equipment. It requires a flash programming PSU (not just a battery tender/trickle charger), like the one I have, & one of the following:
  • E-sys, full Psdzdata, and an ENET cable
  • ENET or ICOM & ISTA-P
  • ICOM and ISTA+
However, other than specific internal service bulletins dictating an update of vehicles to fix a known problem (eg, my 2016 F10 power trunk would only open 2-3 inches), there are no real release notes. As such, flash programming may make some small improvements in one area that are usually more subtle (ie not like updating Idrive4 to newest Idrive 5 or idrive 6) unless you suffer from some issue; at the same time, they can result in loss of functions like Memory Gong. It is kind of a crap shoot.

Sorry...I know that is not the answer for which you had hoped.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #25
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
I get the latest releases of ISTA-P. From there, I extract both full and lite Psdzdata and distribute to those that need.

Updates can be done by a service center. There are risks involved, but they can also be done yourself, if you have the right software and equipment. It requires a flash programming PSU (not just a battery tender/trickle charger), like the one I have, & one of the following:
  • E-sys, full Psdzdata, and an ENET cable
  • ENET or ICOM & ISTA-P
  • ICOM and ISTA+
However, other than specific internal service bulletins dictating an update of vehicles to fix a known problem (eg, my 2016 F10 power trunk would only open 2-3 inches), there are no real release notes. As such, flash programming may make some small improvements in one area that are usually more subtle (ie not like updating Idrive4 to newest Idrive 5 or idrive 6) unless you suffer from some issue; at the same time, they can result in loss of functions like Memory Gong. It is kind of a crap shoot.

Sorry...I know that is not the answer for which you had hoped.
Well, I think I may just have to live without the gong then...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 12:15 AM   #26
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Bumping up this old thread of mine in hope someone has:

- either found a way to code the gong back in
- or got it back with same latest general software update in his/her car

Anyone, please? I still really miss that gong, doing rather long trips I often change my seat configuration (a message ersatz, I guess )...TIA

Piotr
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #27
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
Bumping up this old thread of mine in hope someone has:

- either found a way to code the gong back in
- or got it back with same latest general software update in his/her car

Anyone, please? I still really miss that gong, doing rather long trips I often change my seat configuration (a message ersatz, I guess )...TIA

Piotr
Yes and answer is in thread
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 01:18 AM   #28
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Thanks Almaretto - but if I'm getting this info right, it cannot be done with my limited skills/equipment/software for very basic coding only So what are my options (other than asking the dealer - mine wouldn't do it for me)? TIA

Piotr
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 02:39 AM   #29
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
Thanks Almaretto - but if I'm getting this info right, it cannot be done with my limited skills/equipment/software for very basic coding only So what are my options (other than asking the dealer - mine wouldn't do it for me)? TIA

Piotr
I do not have coding computer in front of me, but dealer can only program; they will not enable functions.

I can Look Sunday.
Appreciate 0