THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Test drive of an M235i vs an Infiniti G37

03-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Duster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G37

Test drive of an M235i vs an Infiniti G37

Coming out of my G37 lease in a bit, and thinking of stepping up to the M235.

I test drove one the other day, thought I'd post my thoughts for those who might be comparing the two cars.

I'm sure BMW folks will say there's no comparison, but if you're looking for a rear wheel drive manual coupe around the $50K mark, they're both cars worth considering.

For those who haven't driven it, the G37S is a blast. 3.7L V6, 330hp, great brakes, big wheels. I love the way it handles, and it's a very engaging drive. The 6-speed shifts very nicely, feedback through the steering wheel is great, and you feel like you're going fast, all the time.

That being said, I wondered how the 2 would compare. Infiniti likes to compare the G to the 3-series, but as the 3 gets bigger, I actually think the G is most comparable to the 2, and the M235 in particular. Price wise, they're much more in line as well.

The interior of the M235 is smaller than the G, but there is substantially more headroom. I'm 6' tall, and my head brushes the headliner in the G, but doesn't come close to touching in the 2. Shoulder room is less though - I think the 2 is an inch or 2 narrower. Also, the interior of the 2 is much more refined. Better materials and switches, just a more high-grade feel. However, it's much more complicated and fiddly. The G switches are laid out very obviously and plainly. One knob handles volume, the other handles tuning, etc. There's something to be said for that simplicity.

The steering wheel on the 2 is much more chunky and "sporty" than on the G. However, steering feel is noticeably better on the G. That will change in the next generation, as the G will be called a Q and will get electronic steering. But for now, the G has the edge on steering feel.

I'd probably also give the G the edge on the feel of shifting the manual transmission. The G has a very nice short-throw shift lever, with a very tight mechanical feel to it. The shifting in the 2 is a little more rubbery, not quite as satisfying.

Power and acceleration, however, go to the BMW, no contest whatsoever. Torque everywhere, in every gear. Linear, powerful acceleration from a stop. It reminds me of the E39 540i that I used to drive in the early 2000s. The G just doesn't have the punch from a standing start, and needs some revs. Power builds like a wave, which is a different kind of feeling.

Suspension goes to the BMW as well, again, no contest. The G has a firm suspension, and the car is very flat through turns. However, it can be a bit harsh over bumps, at speed. Through high speed bumps you can get some lightness and a feeling of not quite being planted. It's exciting, to be sure, but not always the most reassuring feeling. The BMW is firm and flat as well, but soaks up bumps and is always planted. It just feels like a car that can go a lot faster, a lot more comfortably, in a lot of different conditions.

And that's what I find most interesting. The G is a less refined driving experience. There is less isolation from the road - you feel imperfections in the road, and sometimes you feel like the tires are hunting for a straight line. You get a lot more engine noise and vibration. When you're going fast, you feel like you're going fast. Sometimes, when you're going slow, you feel like you're going fast! The BMW is way more refined. You never really feel like you're going fast. I'm sure around 200kph it would feel fast. But accelerating to, and driving at, highway speeds, is a totally calm, controlled, settled experience. You are always in control, and isolated from road imperfections, noise, and vibration. I would almost fault the BMW for being too refined, smooth, linear, and controllable. It almost takes the fun out of driving at moderate speeds.

But just almost. Overall, it's the better car, no question, and I'll probably be making the switch. Is it more fun though? I'm not sure. I think I'll enjoy the BMW and won't regret the decision. But part of me is going to miss the G37S.

Thanks for reading the long review. I'm new to this board, so I hope I'm not going to start any Japanese/German debate or anything silly like that. I like to judge cars on their merits regardless of price or country of origin.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Great review!

I think what you are feeling in your review is the same that I felt with my 128i vs M235i. Its just old gen vs new gen cars.

Newer gen cars almost feel so perfect because of all of their advances. The M adaptive suspension is a blast in the M235i! It is very scitzofrenic. In eco mode it is very smooth and kinda boring because the car is quiet and very well insulated. Put it in sport plus and the car becomes completely different. My 128i has that bumpy harsh ride as well which is great because you can feel everything when you are driving spiritedly, but when I hit bad parts of town you feel every bump and it is jarring. The M235i I drove is super fast. When I looked down at my speedometer I was going very fast and was barely in second gear . I kind of love the way I can rev my 128i like hell on every corner and have fun without braking the speed limits.

If you read the reviews on the new Q50, they don't like the car because its too technological. Apparently the new drive by wire is horrible as well.

Have you test drive an 135i or 135is or 1M? Those might give you that "raw" feeling.
      03-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
SuitedUp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

Great review and helpful, because we're currently shopping and the short list was a new 228i or a year old G37x. Albeit automatic, and the AWD was one of the selling points for the G37 living in Chicago and being in the middle of a terrible winter, but after finally getting a chance to drive the 228i today, the contest might be over. Even though I really enjoyed the G37 as well, but it might come down to having something brand new with maintenance included, and I just loved how smooth and easy everything felt in the BMW. I was also surprised how noticeable the change was in sport mode. Responded faster, and sounded so much throatier. Didn't try Eco mode though.
Appreciate 0