THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Just bouncing ideas off you guys..and gals

12-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #23
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

If money is at all a concern, the 235i is a much better value. There really isn't much the M3 can do that the M235i can't as a dd, honestly, it isn't like it is slow haha.
      12-15-2014, 01:55 AM   #24
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
There is some wisdom in this approach.
Makes the most sense to me with all the factors at play. You get to enjoy an M which most here, myself included, have a romanticized notion of and once you're really stable then you get to make a long term choice since your ownership history indicates you'd keep something for a while. At least then you've already had a love affair and can decide if to extend it or play it safe or maybe even you're "over" having an M and can comfortably settle into another ride long term but no one can take away that M experience you granted yourself. No more wondering and no regrets, just my thought process on your situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
M4 is definitively bigger. But still, pretty much the same weight as the 235. I think the lines of the M4 are great, and performance wise it's clearly on a different level... But how often can you really exploit all that performance?.
They might be the same weight, but it was night and day when you get in the car. I had the opportunity to test drive an M4 with 6MT followed right after with an M235i with 8AT and I was surprised how much I loved the 2er. It felt so much smaller than the M4 (physically) and honestly didn't feel THAT much slower around town.

Here's my take. If I was seriously going to keep a car for years (which for the most part I tend to do), it's better to just start off with an M. So in this case, the M3. If I were in your shoes and I got an M235i, it's only a matter of time before the M2 comes out. And I know that I'll start making excuses as to why I should get it. My rule is to always start with the top of the line so that there are no second guesses.

Like I said, I really really liked the M235i (would be even more fun with 6MT), but I know the M2 is coming out and I'm in no rush to get a car to add to the E92. Will tool around with the E36 M3 until the M2 comes out.

P.S. I also have a 97 4Runner. Those things are such tanks
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #26
HowardM
Banned
Rep
Drives: Mercedes clk

228i with track handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Like the M3, crave the M4, curious about M2. Own a 235 - best daily driver available.
I have my 228i with track handling suspension now for 4 months. As for best daily driver... I have some doubts. The comfort mode leaves steering a bit loose. The sport mode gives fine heavier steering. Daily roads? I have analyzed it now with 2k miles. Much to jittery a ride on everyday roads. I am beginning to think the 228 base, which I originally test drove) gives steering feel on sport mode the same quality as my car. The ride is also a bit more smooth for everyday driving... with less road noise. So......what can I say?
I like this car...as I optioned it...but not in love with it
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #27
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

While I don't agree that a non sport would be better for me, I do think being able to choose sport steering with comfort mode would be nice some times. The 2015 models were supposed to get this...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #28
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
While I don't agree that a non sport would be better for me, I do think being able to choose sport steering with comfort mode would be nice some times. The 2015 models were supposed to get this...
I'm still waiting for my 2015 228i with THP. Did the 2015's get this? I hope so because I think it would be an excellent combination.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #29
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
I'm still waiting for my 2015 228i with THP. Did the 2015's get this? I hope so because I think it would be an excellent combination.
I think it wasn't just the 2 series, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to configure the variable sport steering using the dynamic control switch. I only get drivetrain, chassis, and drivetrain + chassis. So, we can't configure the heavier steering without the stiffer suspension.

It's not the end of the world, as the sport suspension settings are still more comfortable than the car I was last driving (19" runflats on passive m-sport suspension - which I heard was a step up in comfort over the pre-LCI cars). But in sport mode I always have to lift my head off the headrest on jittery roads. Maybe I should put a memory foam pillow over it
      12-17-2014, 03:16 AM   #30
mvallido
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

Quote:
i'm about 3-4 years away from an air force retirement, job prospects are good after air force, but I can't make financial decisions based on good job prospects. I can afford to lease an M3, and give it up after three years...but not to own one. I can afford to own an M235i, and pay if off in four years...and to do some modifications like those bad ass wheels and some KW coilovers. Yeah i'd love an M3, but it would never be on the track, track insurance doubles the cost of track days. It would seem i'm talking myself out of the M3.
Get the M235i for daily driver until you find a new career after the Air Force. Everything about the M3 is expensive and remember the max retainer you can get for your service is 75% of your basic pay plus disability. So you basically lose more than half of your pay check when you retire. Go to http://militarypay.defense.gov/retir...alc/index.html and see if you can afford 20K more so you can buy the M3 instead of leasing.
2004 C240
97 E39 VF5 Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #31
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvallido View Post
Get the M235i for daily driver until you find a new career after the Air Force. Everything about the M3 is expensive and remember the max retainer you can get for your service is 75% of your basic pay plus disability. So you basically lose more than half of your pay check when you retire. Go to http://militarypay.defense.gov/retir...alc/index.html and see if you can afford 20K more so you can buy the M3 instead of leasing.
I already know about what i'm going to take home at retirement. I've loved my career, its served me well, and been an exciting and honorable way to make a living...but no way am I sticking around long enough to get 75%. I'm out at 20 or 21 years. I will take on no new financial obligations that will carry on beyond my projected retirement date (early 2018). I can pay off an M235i in less than four years, I can't pay off an M3 in that time period. So the only way i'm getting into an M3 is a lease.

Although as one earlier poster mentioned. Doing a Lease either way, and deciding at lease end if I want to buy out the car is not a bad option.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #32
Kidu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII, RWD, 6spd

After driving the 435 and the M4, I am really happy after owning my EB M235i for the last 3 weeks. The M4 is fabulous but I dont know if I want a car that big for use as a DD. in the end, the 'fun-size' factor and the 30K less price tag pulled me into the 235. Lots of fun in a (relatively) affordable package. The M4 would just put in jail anyway - the minute you have fun in an M4, you are already in triple digit speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #33
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I think the front end and profile of the 2series is perfect, I just don't like the taillights much.

The profile of the e92 3 series looks awkward towards the rear 3/4 into the trunk, too much vertical space from the rear wheel well to the top of the trunk, and slightly too much rear bumper overhang makes the entire rear end pop out too much.

In comparison, the 2 series is much better proportioned from the side.

I'm in a somewhat of a similar situation, I've always wanted an M3, (now M4) it's been the benchmark all other sport sedans are compared too, but I have a feeling the M2 is going to be crazy good, why waste M3 payments now when the M2 is coming in 1-2 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #34
foamie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

There are cars that are worth having forever IF you fall in love with them but I suspect that does not happen too often (at least to me) so I lease first then if I fall in love; pay it off. The only ones that I kept were a 1991 VW Vanagon Camper, 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1, and a 2008 Honda S2000 CR; could not even think of trading them in or selling. It also helps that I have a great son who is a car whore like me, so he inherits them

You seem to be a responsible person with a great future outside of the military so finding a good paying job should be easy for people like you; go with what your heart desires
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #35
whoosh
Higher than you
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamie View Post
There are cars that are worth having forever IF you fall in love with them but I suspect that does not happen too often (at least to me) so I lease first then if I fall in love; pay it off.
This for me is the best reason for leasing. To be ultra-responsible, one should sock away the difference in monthly payments (or even a portion of that) between the lease and the purchase to use towards end of lease activities. If you turn the keys over, you'll have wear/tear and miles to think about, as well as fees for inception of a new lease. If you choose to buy the car, the money saved during the lease will make a good down payment on a loan for the residual, and effectively catches you up as if you had elected to purchase in the first place.

Current: '15 M235iX | '15 Macan S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #36
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
IMHO I would wait for an M2.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #37
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
LOVE the M235i. However, I think if you can afford an M3 or M4, you'd be making a mistake by choosing the F22 over the F8x.
Disagree.

I can afford both and while the M3 certainly has more power, extra doors and is more "trackable", it isn't necessarily a better car. If you want a spunky, fun, fast, unique, toss-able sport coupe, you would be hard pressed to find something better than the M235i. It's making it on the list of many "best of 2014" car lists, including replacing the 3 series on Car & Driver's 10 best. Plus it's the highest rated BMW of all time on Consumer Reports, besting the 911 and Corvette.

Witness the article last week comparing the Audi RS4 to the M3:

http://www.carthrottle.com/rwd-bmw-m...of-the-titans/

"More than anything, I wanted the M3 to feel like its M Performance little brother - the M235i - and then some. But it just doesn’t. Actually - ignoring the fact that it’s a lot less practical - the considerably less expensive, non-M Division 235i coupe is a more compelling package that’s considerably more engaging to drive."
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #38
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

AND my ///M235i has ///MOAR ///M badges that the ///M3!!!

Happy New Year to all...
      12-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #39
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoosh View Post
This for me is the best reason for leasing. To be ultra-responsible, one should sock away the difference in monthly payments (or even a portion of that) between the lease and the purchase to use towards end of lease activities. If you turn the keys over, you'll have wear/tear and miles to think about, as well as fees for inception of a new lease. If you choose to buy the car, the money saved during the lease will make a good down payment on a loan for the residual, and effectively catches you up as if you had elected to purchase in the first place.
This, and if you can negotiate a good deal then if you decide to keep it you get the car without tying up very much capital for 3+ yearsl. For a 1 or 2% penalty that is fine with me.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #40
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think when it comes down to it, for whatever reason i'm not wowed by the 235. I was obsessed with it as we all waited seemingly forever for it to come out, but after driving several times, it just doesn't grab me. Not sure why that is, i know its a great car. I need another M3 test drive, the one i had did not give me enough of an impression. I absolutely prefer the M3s appearance to the 235. The most overwhelming impression i was left with was the piped in engine noise (which wasn't bad), and the oddness of the DCT gearing (i'm getting a manual whichever car i get so doesn't matter much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamie View Post
There are cars that are worth having forever IF you fall in love with them but I suspect that does not happen too often (at least to me) so I lease first then if I fall in love; pay it off. The only ones that I kept were a 1991 VW Vanagon Camper, 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1, and a 2008 Honda S2000 CR; could not even think of trading them in or selling. It also helps that I have a great son who is a car whore like me, so he inherits them

You seem to be a responsible person with a great future outside of the military so finding a good paying job should be easy for people like you; go with what your heart desires
The S2000 gets a surprising amount of love on Bimmerpost, and for good reason. It has something raw that all current BMWs lack. I'll have my S2K for at least another 10 year. Mines a 2001 with just over 28,000 miles. At the rate I put miles on it, in 10 years it'll only be at 60k. A benefit of the S2000 is that, if i opt to go with the "dangerous at 9/10 M3", i have plenty of experience with a no traction control, tail happy, infamous for snap oversteer car to prep me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
Disagree.

I can afford both and while the M3 certainly has more power, extra doors and is more "trackable", it isn't necessarily a better car. If you want a spunky, fun, fast, unique, toss-able sport coupe, you would be hard pressed to find something better than the M235i. It's making it on the list of many "best of 2014" car lists, including replacing the 3 series on Car & Driver's 10 best. Plus it's the highest rated BMW of all time on Consumer Reports, besting the 911 and Corvette.

Witness the article last week comparing the Audi RS4 to the M3:

http://www.carthrottle.com/rwd-bmw-m...of-the-titans/

"More than anything, I wanted the M3 to feel like its M Performance little brother - the M235i - and then some. But it just doesn’t. Actually - ignoring the fact that it’s a lot less practical - the considerably less expensive, non-M Division 235i coupe is a more compelling package that’s considerably more engaging to drive."
You failed to mention the other testers comment on the M3...
"And yet this is the car I miss. It looks awesome, with its bulging arches and pointed nose, and everyone knows what it is. It makes you feel special while you’re driving it, even in town. But most importantly of all, it’s fun. I’ve always said I’d take clinical competence over character any day, but this is the car that changed my mind. It’s mildly terrifying, it’s loud and bloody hell is it quick. I’m a convert."
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #41
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Using several different lease calculators, using max MSDs, and doing a Eurodelivery where I get the car somewhere between Euro MSRP and Euro invoice i'm calculating lease payments of around $600 for the 235 and 850 for the M3. These numbers are including 9.5% tax and options, and zero down (except the MSDs).

I'm certainly leaning towards the lease just for the options it leaves me at the three year point.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #42
foamie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

My wife is tired of sports cars so she asked me to look into something not as hardcore, thus the M235i. I calculated pretty much the same lease payments you came up for the M235i & M3

Good Luck on the new car !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #43
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Using several different lease calculators, using max MSDs, and doing a Eurodelivery where I get the car somewhere between Euro MSRP and Euro invoice i'm calculating lease payments of around $600 for the 235 and 850 for the M3. These numbers are including 9.5% tax and options, and zero down (except the MSDs).

I'm certainly leaning towards the lease just for the options it leaves me at the three year point.
With the extra S2000, why not just save up for the M2? At least it will be something special and rare once released. The M3/4s are popping up all over now, I think the 235 is actually a little more rare in our area.

I know the urge within the last few years to go full M though But I know with that much of a jump in machine, I just couldn't DD it and feel respectful. Plus, US drivers are horrid and the first scratch/bump/careless impact would drive me nuts . Have to save that for a day when I have too much money.

Good luck on the decision, PM me sometime if you are going to a BMW CCA meet!
      01-04-2015, 01:51 AM   #44
mvallido
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

Just checking if you already made your decision?
2004 C240
97 E39 VF5 Supercharged
Appreciate 0