THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Going from a 135 to 235...

12-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #45
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahuba View Post
My previous car was a 08 135i 6MT with the M-sport package. I had my M235 since June. At one point I owned both cars for about a month and drove them back to back. The M235 is more refined. The adaptive suspension and perhaps the longer wheelbase makes the 2er feel more poised. Initially I preferred the steering of the 135 (I liked the weightiness) but over time I got over it. If you ever get to drive the 2er on a very twisty road, the 2er steering is amazing, very precise, responsive and the variable ratio means you never have to take your hands off the wheel even on sharp bends. The MT on the 2er is a noticable improvement over the 135. There's an audible click that's nice and the 1-2 shift is easier to get right. There's less turbo lag, almost none in fact in the 2er. There's more mid and high range torque. Since I've switched to winter tires (Dunlop 3Ds, on 18" rims, came from my 1er) I noticed I have to feather the accelerator even in 2nd gear otherwise I'm breaking traction, this is on mostly dry roads, this never happend with the 1er. The interior is much nicer in the 2er, and if you do a lot of night driving, get the HBA option, and remove the variable light and anti-dazzle coding options, that has got to be one of the coolest bits of tech. Overall, the 2er is amzing do it all car, you can take it on a long hwy cruise in comfort mode and it won't beat you up. I won't hesitate to take this on a solo drive 5hr drives to Toronto or Muskokas. However, I almost exclusively drive the car in sport+ mode, even in winter with the snow (I like getting the tail out), and I love every minute of it, never looked back at the 1er.
Thanks for the info. I had active steering on my 135 (I feel like I was the only one that got that option) and I absolutely loved it. I wonder how that compares to the steering on the 2? Does the 2 really have a variable ratio like my active-steering 1 had, or is it just variable assist and a narrow ratio?

What is the HBA option? Do you mean the automatic high beams?

I had Dunlop 3Ds on 17" 128 rims on the my 1 that I will put on my 2, although its time for new snows so I might go with blizzaks this time.
      12-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #46
TiM235i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Last spring, I decided it was time to trade in my 2011 135i. I have never enjoyed driving a car more than the 135i. And as I said to someone today, it went from a great car to my best car when I replaced the run-flats with PSSs.

I looked at a 2 series in March, but none were to be had, so I ended up ordering a 335i M Sport so I could get the manual transmission. And now, fast forward to today, I just traded the 335i after 8 months for an M235i with an auto.

The M235i drives just like I remember the 135i -- tossable and fun -- which the 335i just never was for me. I walked into the dealer today just to drive the M235i and see -- and drove home in the M235i.

You won't regret the move from the 135i to the 2 Series -- but I bet you will miss the little pot bellied coupe.

2015 M235i
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #47
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim335i View Post
Last spring, I decided it was time to trade in my 2011 135i. I have never enjoyed driving a car more than the 135i. And as I said to someone today, it went from a great car to my best car when I replaced the run-flats with PSSs.

I looked at a 2 series in March, but none were to be had, so I ended up ordering a 335i M Sport so I could get the manual transmission. And now, fast forward to today, I just traded the 335i after 8 months for an M235i with an auto.

The M235i drives just like I remember the 135i -- tossable and fun -- which the 335i just never was for me. I walked into the dealer today just to drive the M235i and see -- and drove home in the M235i.

You won't regret the move from the 135i to the 2 Series -- but I bet you will miss the little pot bellied coupe.
How do you feel with the auto vs manual? Do you miss the manual at all?
      12-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #48
TiM235i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
How do you feel with the auto vs manual? Do you miss the manual at all?
I know I will miss the manual. The auto is amazing and I don't regret getting it, but I will always miss the engagement of the manual. That said, I don't miss it as much as I thought -- at least after 1 day of driving!

2015 M235i
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #49
Monoblock
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The 2 Series 8AT is the finest automatic I've ever driven. One no longer buys a stick for performance nor fuel economy. But, if your left leg and relevant parts of your mind really want to have a third pedal to play/work, and your right arm wants a console shifter that doesn't just sit there most of the time, then choose the stick.
Unless... you sit in an hours worth of traffic every day.

I'm 50, I've owned 7 cars (5 of them BMWs) and the 228i is my first automatic. It took 30 years, but I've had enough with pressing a clutch hundreds of times a day in stop and go traffic.

Yes, my brain is pretty hard-wired to shift at this point, and I swore for years I'd never buy an auto, and this was indeed a really tough soul-searching decision. But I'm really happy I made it. As you've said, the ZF is amazing.

I know, I'm stating the obvious, but it should be a factor people take into consideration. I wish I did many years ago. I was just too pig headed; "NO! I DRIVE A MANUAL!"
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #50
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoblock View Post

I'm 50, I've owned 7 cars (5 of them BMWs) and the 228i is my first automatic. It took 30 years, but I've had enough with pressing a clutch hundreds of times a day in stop and go traffic.

Yes, my brain is pretty hard-wired to shift at this point, and I swore for years I'd never buy an auto, and this was indeed a really tough soul-searching decision. But I'm really happy I made it. As you've said, the ZF is amazing.

I know, I'm stating the obvious, but it should be a factor people take into consideration. I wish I did many years ago. I was just too pig headed; "NO! I DRIVE A MANUAL!"
I remember 50....just 10.75 years ago!

I am fortunate not to have lived or needed to drive in a heavy stop-and-go traffic area for several decades now, but I completely understand your point.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #51
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoblock View Post

Well, I'm 67 and my 7 month old M235i is my first automatic (my car, not the family car). And you know what? I love it! Previously, I never would've believed an automatic would one day out perform a stick, but here it is.

And my left knee and foot thank me, although every now and then it tries to push a non-existent clutch pedal. Old habits take a while to break.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #52
Bahuba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MR 2014 M235i

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I had active steering on my 135 (I feel like I was the only one that got that option) and I absolutely loved it. I wonder how that compares to the steering on the 2? Does the 2 really have a variable ratio like my active-steering 1 had, or is it just variable assist and a narrow ratio?

What is the HBA option? Do you mean the automatic high beams?

I had Dunlop 3Ds on 17" 128 rims on the my 1 that I will put on my 2, although its time for new snows so I might go with blizzaks this time.
I didn't have active steering in my 1er but the variable rate steering and precise turn-in is most noticeable in the 2er when you drive it hard on very tight twisty roads. HBA = high beam assistant. It's an option in the US. In Canada it comes with the exec. package. You need to order this, then disable the codes that disable the variable light distribution and anti-dazzle via coding to appreciate the coolness of this feature. The headlights swivel independent of each other, up down, and side to side depending on your speed, light pattern of oncoming traffic, as well as the tail light pattern of the car you are following. There's a separate thread on this that describes this feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #53
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

So I ordered one this afternoon...

2015 M235 w/premium package, premium radio, manual transmission, blue with black leather interior.

Dealer gave me $1000 off MSRP. Maybe I could have gotten more off but I was in a bit of rush and not really ready to walk out as I'm stuck driving a rental car. Says it will take 8-12 weeks to get the car but probably closer to 12 weeks. I got the impression the dealer didn't have any allocations available and would have to wait for one. I'm not sure if that is typical or if it could have been faster if I ordered from a different dealer. The other dealer I visited said 8 weeks but I didn't quite believe him.
      12-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #54
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

8 weeks is the norm. See if you can get more than $1,000 off of MSRP. You should be able to get AT LEAST 6.5% off MSRP. I got 10% off.
      12-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #55
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

I went through this when I ordered my MINI three years ago. Dealers will tell you anything you want to hear about when you will get your car. They have an allocation sheet with production slots for specific types of cars. What you want to get is an allocation for dealer stock that is then assigned to your car. For example, he may have an allocation for a dealer stock vehicle that's going into production next week but his next "open" allocation could be six weeks from now. Since he wants cars to be able to sell off the lot or to be used as test drive vehicles (especially with cars that are as scarce as the 2 Series), he is likely to give you the one for six weeks from now and tell you it's his next available allocation. That's actually true, it is his next unallocated slot, but he can assign your car to the production number that's scheduled to start production next week if you can convince him to do it. Be aware that if he does this it's probably going to show up on the My BMW tracking as the original configuration for that slot until the system catches up so don't freak out. The system may show a black 235 with premium package when you ordered an AW with no premium. That's because it's still showing the original car that was in that slot, but it will catch up eventually and show your car with the correct configuration.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #56
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
8 weeks is the norm. See if you can get more than $1,000 off of MSRP. You should be able to get AT LEAST 6.5% off MSRP. I got 10% off.
Wow, how did you manage that? Did you buy off the lot or order? Dealers always tell me they can't give better deals on cars they have to order, but I know that is at least a little bit BS. It does seem easier to negotiate a deal on a car they have and want to get rid of, though.

I think its too late for me. The car is already ordered and I left a deposit so I don't see how I can get a better deal now.
      12-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #57
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Quote:
Wow, how did you manage that? Did you buy off the lot or order? Dealers always tell me they can't give better deals on cars they have to order, but I know that is at least a little bit BS. It does seem easier to negotiate a deal on a car they have and want to get rid of, though.

I think its too late for me. The car is already ordered and I left a deposit so I don't see how I can get a better deal now.
Backing out of a deal depends on what state you're in. In CA deposits are refundable by law. You haven't actually bought (or leased) the car until you sign the papers at delivery. From what I've seen and researched, how good a deal you get also depends on where you live. Killer deals on 235's (or any 2 Series) in Southern CA seem to be very few and far between.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #58
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
Backing out of a deal depends on what state you're in. In CA deposits are refundable by law. You haven't actually bought (or leased) the car until you sign the papers at delivery. From what I've seen and researched, how good a deal you get also depends on where you live. Killer deals on 235's (or any 2 Series) in Southern CA seem to be very few and far between.
When I bought my 135, I believe the deposit was refundable, but this time the deposit was definitely non-refundable. It was stamped that way everywhere.
      12-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #59
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:

It was at the port and they had to get it from another dealer, but my family orders 99% of the time. My dad got 14% off on his 640i and my mom got 12% off on her 528i which we got in August. You can ABSOLUTELY get your deposit back, if they tell you otherwise, tell them they'll be hearing from your lawyer. My dad has ordered his last 3 BMWs. The first time he had a problem when the car was delivered and backed out of the deal. He got his deposit back.

You have to tell them you want to pay X below invoice. My deal was $1500 below invoice. Invoice is 6.5% off of MSRP. I had a lot of money from rebates though ($1000 black friday and $1000 test drive). Still, invoice shouldn't be too much of a problem and i'd say invoice is a decent deal.

Shop around, call all of your local dealers and tell them you got better quotes at another dealer..not too difficult.

Employee pricing is around 22% off of MSRP, so even with a 10% discount, they're making PLENTY of money.

Last edited by BMW335iOn18s; 12-18-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #60
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
So I ordered one this afternoon...

2015 M235 w/premium package, premium radio, manual transmission, blue with black leather interior.
Congrats on the order and color selection. I have the same EB on black leather, very nice combo!
      12-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #61
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the advice, even if it did get a little off-topic there for a bit, lol.

I'm pretty much set on getting a rear wheel drive 235 now (at least 80% sure). The BMW dealer here I talked to said pretty much the same thing as what was said here (um, the controversial remark). He said that the xDrive model was a little higher up due to the space required for the differential and it didn't handle as well although your 0-60 time will be better purely due to the added traction.

So now my big decision is manual vs automatic. I have a an appt to drive a 235xi that is an automatic later this week and I'll see what I think.
Congrats on the decision, a tough one. But to address the red highlight....I'd seriously question your CA as to his/her knowledge 'cause this just isn't true. Man will they ever learn to know their product?? The M235 and M235 xDrive sit at exactly the same height. The relatively new M Performance cars in Europe (eg. M550d) are xDrive only, the only exceptions being the M135/M235's which can be had with both RWD and AWD. The 30% hand that M Division had in their development addressed the "ride height" issue from the start, i.e. they are properly dropped to address M Division handling requirements. If you were buying an MSport 3er with xDrive, then your CA would be correct. Run of the mill MSport xDrives are not dropped as their RWD equivalents are. As to handling on the road (extreme track performance potentially excluded), the opinion at the end of the day between M235 RWD vs xDrive is subjective so it comes down to what you like.

As for Sportstick's comments on the 8sp auto, I agree completely. It's brilliant.