THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Help a newbie with tuning advice

11-24-2016, 01:52 AM   #1
tengotengo
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Help a newbie with tuning advice

Hi,

Imagine I'm 8 years old and I have m235i, so please don't judge, I don't know much about these things yet, but I'm learning.

I'm getting some performance parts, such as new air intake, exhaust upgrade and such

And as I understand it correctly, the car needs to be tuned in order to perform better, right?

so the questions are: where do I go to tune it? (I live in Los Angeles, CA) Do I need a tune box like JB4 or something?

please advise

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 03:36 AM   #2
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengotengo View Post
Hi,

Imagine I'm 8 years old and I have m235i, so please don't judge, I don't know much about these things yet, but I'm learning.

I'm getting some performance parts, such as new air intake, exhaust upgrade and such

And as I understand it correctly, the car needs to be tuned in order to perform better, right?

so the questions are: where do I go to tune it? (I live in Los Angeles, CA) Do I need a tune box like JB4 or something?

please advise

Thank you
Young grasshopper I was very much like you about 3mo ago and am still very much learning new things everyday. First and foremost, before going to any shop to tune your car I would highly recommend siting at your computer and spending hours upon hours educating your self through various threads. This will be extremely useful in determining what type of tune you want and the the pros and cons etc. A great place to start is right here -->http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150729 . Good Luck and hopefully someone can recommend some good tuners in your area
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
CollegeParkM235
Rep
Drives: M235i RWD M/T

Another Newbie

I'm pretty new to the upgrades thing too. I have a 2015 M235 m/t, thinking about Dinan Stage 2 and cold air intake. Sure are lots of opinions about Dinan, some good, some not, and whether they are worth the $. But this site is a good place to learn about things
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

ok.

1st. Read all the posts in this forum. You will learn a lot.
Exhaust and intake do basically nothing for performance.

Save your money, don't do this till last. There are 500+whp 2 series with stock intake.

2nd. Figure out if you want a piggy back or flash tune.
Dinan stage 3 which is several thousands of dollars will produce the same performance as the $700.00 jb4. A flash tune which is roughly 1400.00 will be a little bit faster than the piggy back solutions and safer.

3rd. Get a downpipe first. This will open up about 15-20 whp and add a nice exhaust note to the car. If you go jb4 or flash, get a cattless dp.

4th. Charge pipe. Once you start adding additional boost, that stock charge pipe will be the first thing to break.

5th. Add additional bolt ons like your FMIC, exhaust or drop in filter.

6th. Stainless steel brake lines, better brake pads like EBC yellow, and fluid like ATE

7th. Wheels and tires, suspension upgrades.

If you just want a to spend a few hundred dollars and add a little power, the jb+ is good solution. Similar to the Dinan sport.

PM me if you have questions.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 3
SerenVoX146.00
BentZero624.50
      11-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22
ok.

1st. Read all the posts in this forum. You will learn a lot.
Exhaust and intake do basically nothing for performance.

Save your money, don't do this till last. There are 500+whp 2 series with stock intake.

2nd. Figure out if you want a piggy back or flash tune.
Dinan stage 3 which is several thousands of dollars will produce the same performance as the $700.00 jb4. A flash tune which is roughly 1400.00 will be a little bit faster than the piggy back solutions and safer.

3rd. Get a downpipe first. This will open up about 15-20 whp and add a nice exhaust note to the car. If you go jb4 or flash, get a cattless dp.

4th. Charge pipe. Once you start adding additional boost, that stock charge pipe will be the first thing to break.

5th. Add additional bolt ons like your FMIC, exhaust or drop in filter.

6th. Stainless steel brake lines, better brake pads like EBC yellow, and fluid like ATE

7th. Wheels and tires, suspension upgrades.

If you just want a to spend a few hundred dollars and add a little power, the jb+ is good solution. Similar to the Dinan sport.

PM me if you have questions.
Lol, I did the opposite thing and got the intake and exhaust since I wanted the sound. Now I'm at a crossroads. Idk if I should get a charge pipe and jb4 combo next or a Fabspeed sport cat. I don't want to go catless and eventually I'll have all three. I'm just trying to decide what to get next. I'm leaning towards the dp since it offers a combo of sound and speed.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

DP for sure.

Good power bump with or without tune, and will make it sound nice.
You don't need a fabspeed, get the wagner catted on thats in the classified section.
Appreciate 1
BentZero624.50
      11-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

tengotengo Performance mods are tune, Intercooler and downpipe

Exhaust is not a performance mod it is only for sound

Intake might be considered a performance mod, but it will only give you HP gais if your car already has the main 3 mods i mentioned.

Easiest and less costly method would be to get a Jb or Jb4.
Since you are new at this, i recommend you get a JB stage 1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22
DP for sure.

Good power bump with or without tune, and will make it sound nice.
You don't need a fabspeed, get the wagner catted on thats in the classified section.
Interesting. I was under the impression that the fabspeed unit was the best one and no cel. When I get more serious about it I'll check it out. Wife usually gives me a nice chunk of cash for Christmas, so I'll start my research in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the info!

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The first batch of fabspeed actually threw a cel with the catted if i remember correctly.

Its a great product for sure, but so are the others that Mike sells.

Im running the enzo cattless DP because I came across a used one for 250$.
Can't go wrong with that price.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengotengo View Post
Hi,

please advise

Thank you
There are tunes you can purchase and install yourself, plug and play.

The JB4 is a tune in which you install under your hood. You don't need to go anywhere local to finalize the tune. It has built in maps designed for a stock vehicle or modified. You just select the appropriate map.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Lol, I did the opposite thing and got the intake and exhaust since I wanted the sound. Now I'm at a crossroads. Idk if I should get a charge pipe and jb4 combo next or a Fabspeed sport cat. I don't want to go catless and eventually I'll have all three. I'm just trying to decide what to get next. I'm leaning towards the dp since it offers a combo of sound and speed.
If you get the JB4 you'll want the charge pipe, because the stock one is prone to cracking under higher boost.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #12
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

A lot of guys have said it already but I will reiterate.

I 110% recommend doing a downpipe as a first modification, especially our Sport Cat Downpipe. A majority of the power is restricted within the downpipe. By moving to something such as our Sport Cat, you will access a nice chunk of that power, without needing a tune or worrying about a CEL.

I am going to send you a PM to chat some more!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #13
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post

I 110% recommend doing a downpipe as a first modification, especially our Sport Cat Downpipe. A majority of the power is restricted within the downpipe. By moving to something such as our Sport Cat, you will access a nice chunk of that power, without needing a tune or worrying about a CEL.

Could you shoot me a PM as well. I have a 228ix and want to access some more power and a little better sound. I would really appreciate it. Ray
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #14
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post

I agree with this. After research and after impulsively buying an intake as soon as I bought the car, installing a catted downpipe was my next and should have been my first mod.
You can check out my experience on page 2 here: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323437
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Could you shoot me a PM as well. I have a 228ix and want to access some more power and a little better sound. I would really appreciate it. Ray
Sending you a PM now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
I agree with this. After research and after impulsively buying an intake as soon as I bought the car, installing a catted downpipe was my next and should have been my first mod.
You can check out my experience on page 2 here: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323437
Thank you again Chris!
Appreciate 0