THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i vs. M235i

01-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #67
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

I've had my 228 for two weeks now and I have absolutely no regrets about having gotten a 228 rather than a 235. It's got plenty of power, virtually no turbo lag, it's very "tossable" and maneuverable and a real kick to drive. It should be noted that my last car was a MINI S which is the very definition of a fun driving, "tossable" car. I was a little apprehensive that this car wouldn't be as much fun as the MINI but it really is. For the kind of driving I do I don't need the extra power of the 235 and I certainly appreciate the improved gas mileage of the 228.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 10:55 PM   #68
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Why so against sunroof? Tall?
6' 2" with a 29" inseam. I am all torso, little short legs, like a gorilla. Without a sunroof, I can just barely wear a helmet in the car. With a sunroof, no chance at all. I autocross, so the helmet is a must.

I did end up ordering an M235i for just this reason - I could get the Premium Pkg items I wanted without the stupid hole in the roof. I would have been perfectly happy with a 228i otherwise. And it would have been a better autocrosser, though either way the car is WAY better than I will ever be, I am strictly a hack. But it sure is fun!

Plus, to be honest, I want to experience 320hp on the Autobahn.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #69
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I have driven both several times now in manual and auto. The 228 feels livelier slightly in how it handles and the 235 has a stronger surge. I drove both side by side and even at the short course at a couple of car events. For me where I put much more emphasis and importance on driving dynamics and feel, I came away with a feeling that the 235i dissapointed me a bit and the 228 surpassed my expectations. It is plenty quick and once the engine warms up sounds good. they are both too soft for my taste but I can't shake the feeling that the 228i is a really nice package.

I think in the previous 1 series there was a big gap between the 128 and 135 but I feel that the gap is very close now and they actually overlap each other especially if you configure the 228 as light as possible with manual seats and no sunroof and M brakes.

When I see a 235i on the road, I like it for its size but feel they left so much potential on the table and I feel a little bad. When I see 228, I feel that little guy is punching above his weight and maybe someone appreciates the nimbler feel over straight drag race numbers.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 12:12 AM   #70
HarmOG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228

I may be one of the more typical people, but for me, I chose the 228 mostly because I loved the wheels, didn't want to have a "no-cost" option to remove the sunroof, and wanted to save $8-9k.

I was worried that after driving the 235 several times, I wouldn't be happy with the engine in the 228. When driven in Sport +, it has plenty to get me in trouble.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 03:19 AM   #71
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmOG View Post
I may be one of the more typical people, but for me, I chose the 228 mostly because I loved the wheels, didn't want to have a "no-cost" option to remove the sunroof, and wanted to save $8-9k.

I was worried that after driving the 235 several times, I wouldn't be happy with the engine in the 228. When driven in Sport +, it has plenty to get me in trouble.
Even my little 116i (1.5L 4cly turbo) rental in sport mode (no sport+ available) is enough to get me in trouble. Mostly in town because it is so responsive, light, and nimble.

Can't hang on the autobahn or high speed corners though. Acceleration start falling off big time around 100-120km/h.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #72
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
6' 2" with a 29" inseam. I am all torso, little short legs, like a gorilla. Without a sunroof, I can just barely wear a helmet in the car. With a sunroof, no chance at all. I autocross, so the helmet is a must.

I did end up ordering an M235i for just this reason - I could get the Premium Pkg items I wanted without the stupid hole in the roof. I would have been perfectly happy with a 228i otherwise. And it would have been a better autocrosser, though either way the car is WAY better than I will ever be, I am strictly a hack. But it sure is fun!

Plus, to be honest, I want to experience 320hp on the Autobahn.
Nice. that must be a riot.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #73
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
I completely understand as a local Miami boy the appeal of having the top of the line of anything. That said l, admittedly I'm rather certain I'm in the lower percentiles, some of us do prefer the smaller engine! I think they're both great vehicles and I'm going for the four banger turbo because I want to, not because it's not a fiscally available option. Being a fellow South Floridian, how many red light tickets have you gotten in the past year? Regardless, enjoy your ride, I hope to do the same
I wouldn't say the m235 is top of the line by any means its just a great car and I am no badge snob, I legitimately consider the m235 to be a good value. You are the first person to consider the 235 top of the line as most are focused on the fact that "its not a real M car" or "it should be an is". The point I was trying to make is that if you are already concerned with tuning the car before you even take delivery, it seems that the m235 would be a better choice unless money is a factor. So I am completely aware that the N20? is more than a capable engine. The fact is, however, if you are so concerned with performance you would probably end up spending close to the same money for a less powerful 228 as on a 235 with more power and more potential.
I love the look of the car so understand why others would want to own it who do not care about performance. That is a very good reason to purchase the 228 even if you have the money. I'm not buying the argument that so many prefer the smaller very similiarly configured engine.
All that aside I consider myself lucky to have received only one red light ticket in the past year, I have received these in other states and was shocked at the 150 fine.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #74
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer86 View Post
+1

I just recently took delivery of my 228i after test driving both and I have zero regrets .
I by no means mean to imply that you should have regrets about your purchase. I am simply responding to the comment that a 228 with a tune is almost as fast as a stock 235i, which I think is a silly argument. Enjoy the 228 and with the packages it appears you have, I'm sure its a hell of a fun ride. I drove a 328 with a less powerful I6 and I squeezed every ounce of fun out of that bad boy.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #75
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
I've had my 228 for two weeks now and I have absolutely no regrets about having gotten a 228 rather than a 235. It's got plenty of power, virtually no turbo lag, it's very "tossable" and maneuverable and a real kick to drive. It should be noted that my last car was a MINI S which is the very definition of a fun driving, "tossable" car. I was a little apprehensive that this car wouldn't be as much fun as the MINI but it really is. For the kind of driving I do I don't need the extra power of the 235 and I certainly appreciate the improved gas mileage of the 228.

The bottom line is, if you were patient and did your homework, the car sitting in your garage is the right car for you.

No justification needed.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #76
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i View Post
I wouldn't say the m235 is top of the line by any means its just a great car and I am no badge snob, I legitimately consider the m235 to be a good value. You are the first person to consider the 235 top of the line as most are focused on the fact that "its not a real M car" or "it should be an is". The point I was trying to make is that if you are already concerned with tuning the car before you even take delivery, it seems that the m235 would be a better choice unless money is a factor. So I am completely aware that the N20? is more than a capable engine. The fact is, however, if you are so concerned with performance you would probably end up spending close to the same money for a less powerful 228 as on a 235 with more power and more potential.
I love the look of the car so understand why others would want to own it who do not care about performance. That is a very good reason to purchase the 228 even if you have the money. I'm not buying the argument that so many prefer the smaller very similiarly configured engine.
All that aside I consider myself lucky to have received only one red light ticket in the past year, I have received these in other states and was shocked at the 150 fine.
I meant top of the line for the 2 series, I don't consider the 235 a real M but don't object to it having the badge since BMW themselves placed it there. I won't be tuning the 228i, been down that road plenty in past cars and am over it, will just enjoy how well it drives and suits me as a daily driver. I'm not selling, no need to buy anything Nearly $165 for those damn tickets
Enjoy your ride
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:07 PM   #77
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
The bottom line is, if you were patient and did your homework, the car sitting in your garage is the right car for you.

No justification needed.
Absolutely, but I did want to comment on that most think that folks getting a 228i is because they were pinching pennies, I simply like it better
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 01:56 AM   #78
Ian_Mark
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '14 228i MSport

Garage List
2014 BMW 228i  [0.00]
2005 Subaru Sti  [0.00]
No regrets either on choosing my 228i. Its meant to be a daily driver only and has the options I need for long drives and everyday commute. My Subaru Sti will be my weekend car to throw around on the track if needed. and yes ill slowly moderately mod the 228i to my liking.

Last edited by Ian_Mark; 01-15-2015 at 03:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #79
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

OP UPDATE: Thank you to everyone that contributed to my original query.

Ordered this week from BMW of San Antonio for Performance Center Delivery. M235i/Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red/Premium/Technology/Heated Seats/ZF8/Black Kidney Grilles/Summer Performance tire package/BMW M Performance Exhaust without diffuser.

Kudos to Jim Wester, Sales Manager, (210) 801-8188, jwester@principleauto.com. Very refreshing to deal with someone like Jim. He knows the brand and earns his customer one person at a time. Best deal I was able to find after scouring Southeastern US (at least a dozen or so dealerships). Most strongly recommend him.

Last edited by gaijin; 01-17-2015 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #80
ivierlin27
Rep
Drives: 2005 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

Ordered this week from BMW of San Antonio for Performance Center Delivery. M235i/Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red/Premium/Technology/Heated Seats/8 speed AT/Black Kidney Grilles/Summer Performance tire package/BMW M Performance Exhaust without diffuser.

Kudos to Jim Wester, Sales Manager, (210) 801-8188, jwester@principleauto.com. Very refreshing to deal with someone like Jim. He knows the brand and earns his customer one person at a time. Best deal I was able to find after scouring Southeastern US (at least a dozen or so dealerships). Most strongly recommend him.
Good deal!

I ordered from Jim as well, thanks to another member here for recommending him.

I'm also doing performance center delivery, though my build number still hasn't been assigned a build week, so I'm not sure exactly when.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #81
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep

I was browsing SE and NE dealerships for inventory, and found BMW of San Antonio. Called and was connected to Jim. The rest is history. Interesting enough that none of the dealership I had made contact came close to what Jim penciled for me.

Ordering from the factory was the only way for me. I attended the M Performance School about eight years ago and had a blast! Now, I'm looking forward to the delivery, abbreviated "test drive" at the Performance School and driving the car back home after delivery through some of the best roads in the Southeast Region!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #82
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:

Ordered this week from BMW of San Antonio for Performance Center Delivery. M235i/Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red/Premium/Technology/Heated Seats/8 speed AT/Black Kidney Grilles/Summer Performance tire package/BMW M Performance Exhaust without diffuser.

I will order the same but 6MT instead of ZF8.
Great combo!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #83
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Congrats on the new whip OP, now the anxious waiting. Gorgeous color combo and options, I know you will be very happy with your decision.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #84
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i View Post
Congrats on the new whip OP, now the anxious waiting. Gorgeous color combo and options, I know you will be very happy with your decision.
Thanks! Yes, now comes the anticipation.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #85
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Quote:

Ordered this week from BMW of San Antonio for Performance Center Delivery. M235i/Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red/Premium/Technology/Heated Seats/ZF8/Black Kidney Grilles/Summer Performance tire package/BMW M Performance Exhaust without diffuser.

Just curious since I am also from Florida, was there any dealers in Florida or the Southeast that you would have considered dealing with had you not found the deal you did?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #86
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Just curious since I am also from Florida, was there any dealers in Florida or the Southeast that you would have considered dealing with had you not found the deal you did?
Unfortunately, there were no Southeastern dealerships that could touch the deal I got from BMW of San Antonio. The FL dealerships (statewide from Tallahassee to Miami) all quoted MSRP. The Central Florida dealerships didn't even have a M235i in inventory. Some flat out told me that they had limited allocations and would not let one go for much less than MSRP. I even tried a couple of East Coast dealerships and one as far away as Michigan. A few of them offered $500 off MSRP.

I just had to be patient during the search. Worked out well because I had planned all along on special ordering our next BMW and taking delivery at the Performance Center.

Last edited by gaijin; 01-18-2015 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #87
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, and I mean no disrespect to 228 owners, but I have to say that the 228 is a fine car except for the exhaust note being the same as the boring 328xi loaner I get each time I take my X5 50i in for service. There's just nothing like that sweet sound of a BMW straight six this side of my Porsche flat 6 with sport exhaust. Given that I'm getting the car fully optioned, as several others have pointed out the upcharge to get the 235 engine is not that great.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #88
Monoblock
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, and I mean no disrespect to 228 owners

Nah... I don't think any 228i owners would take offense, and there's not any real debate that the sound is one of the weakest points of the cars, although I will say that it perks up quite a bit when you put her in sport mode.
Appreciate 0