THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum How much should it cost to replace bumper?

06-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
lazymman345
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i

How much should it cost to replace bumper?

My car was hit while it was parked in a parking garage and the other parties insurance paid me out about $1350 rn, and said once I take to a body shop they'll give more if it is needed.

I spoke to a couple of body shops and got quotes in the range of $1500-$1700. This seems somewhat high to me? A new bumper from ECS Tuning runs about $600, assuming getting it painted would be another $300, and then install time of maybe 2 hours at $100 an hour would total up to $1100. Am I underestimating the amount of install time that is required? Thinking of maybe just installing the bumper myself and using the extra money to either clear bra the bumper, or buy a front lip or spoiler.

Thoughts??
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

You can ALWAYS find somebody to do it cheaper. If you are stuck on the idea of 'bonus money' left over, then just live w/ the rash and spend the 1350. But unless you routinely do bodywork your efforts probably won't look as good, fit as well, or last as long. I'd go for whatever place will guarantee you both OEM parts and guaranteed color match; having a few BMW's already sitting in their lot getting worked on wouldn't hurt either, to know they are familiar w/ them. At least you have the easier style of white to paint-match.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You can ALWAYS find somebody to do it cheaper. I'd go for whatever place will guarantee you both OEM parts and guaranteed color match; having a few BMW's already sitting in their lot getting worked on wouldn't hurt either, to know they are familiar w/ them.
^^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
At least you have the easier style of white to paint-match.
Paint matching is sometimes more complicated than we're aware. For example, I have a white Tundra, and last time I was in for body work Toyota was up to seven or eight different shades of the same standard white paint (i.e., each has the same basic paint code). That doesn't matter to the customer, however, as long as the body shop matches the vehicle's shade to the right paint chip.

Last edited by dradernh; 06-18-2018 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

For reference a non-bumper replacement respray on the front corner of my car cost $1300 and the rear corner cost $2000. Both involved blending into other panels.

But, after it was done, even if I did tell you, you wouldn't even be able to see that it was resprayed.

Paint matching and blending is an art.

Insurance is effectively offering you to take it to the best place around and getting it repair like new or better than new. Why would you try and skimp on that?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:34 PM   #5
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazymman345 View Post
My car was hit while it was parked in a parking garage and the other parties insurance paid me out about $1350 rn, and said once I take to a body shop they'll give more if it is needed.

I spoke to a couple of body shops and got quotes in the range of $1500-$1700. This seems somewhat high to me? ...
I recently had a front bumper done at a BMW body shop and the itemized bill was about $1700. I also was hit in a parking lot. I went to a BMW shop because my body guy said he could easily match the paint color, but he can't buy the BMW paint.

It was done with all OEM parts including the emblem which they said BMW says is one use so they got a new one and gave me the old one. A indy shop would never do that.

So, $1700 is not out of whack for a BMW body shop. But you do want OEM parts. Paint is your choice.

///Rich
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:50 AM   #6
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Penny wise and pound foolish. You want to do a cheap repair, pocket the change, and walk away with a car that will be worth less when it comes time to sell it. Remember too that mods generally reduce the value of a vehicle.
Go to the best place and get the work done properly. It will look like new. The other guy is paying!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
lazymman345
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i

Appreciate all the responses! will definitely find a good body shop around me to take it to! If anyone is from the Bay Area and has recommendations I'm all ears
Appreciate 0