THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum front splitter necessary to complement rear diffuser

10-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

front splitter necessary to complement rear diffuser

hey guys, quick question. recently got priced for multiple items from sun motors*, one of which is the M rear diffuser. was wondering if the front splitter actually complements on air flow, or is it just aesthetics (i mean, it does look really cool)?

i already have clearance problems with the front bumper around here, wasn't really planning on it being lower.

*shout out to sun motors and their great pricing!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

BMW accessories online says they compliment one another.
You got to assume once hitting a certain speed with only one of the devices attached you could upset the handling.
Whether the 2-series is susceptible to being upset? It's a risk.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 02:19 AM   #3
jamiejimmydavies
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 comp

I was told by the M division of my dealership that the front splitter, rear diffuser & rear spoiler are functional. They do actually increase downforce so depending on how true this is, getting one and not the other could have a detrimental effect to the handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I don't doubt the diffuser and splitter are functional, but at what speed? My gut tells me you would have to be well over 100 mph for there to be any appreciable aerodynamic difference.

I bought the rear diffuser strictly based on the looks. No offense to others who like it, but I personally did not care for the look of the stock lower bumper. I bought the M Performance Exhaust and Rear diffuser together as port-installed options. I like the look of the front splitter as well, but was concerned about everyday drivability, i.e. scraping things.
      10-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I have a dealer-installed front splitter but regular rear valance. I did a track weekend and didn't notice any adverse handling in my car. As a beginner track driver I wonder what how different it would have felt with the rear valence. I only got well over 100 mph on one straight-a-way.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I have a dealer-installed front splitter but regular rear valance. I did a track weekend and didn't notice any adverse handling in my car. As a beginner track driver I wonder what how different it would have felt with the rear valence. I only got well over 100 mph on one straight-a-way.
When you say valence you mean down low by the exhaust ?
Because I don't think any MSport or similar rear valence will suck the car down. I think the little wicker spoiler on the tip of the trunk might minimize rear turbulence and prevent lift.
As for aiding rear traction or road holding, 80 or higher in the wet, 130 or higher in the dry - those I guess are the thresholds for aiding tire bite or chassis stability. Then crosswinds or gas-mileage the bodywork add-ons might come into play.
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      10-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
When you say valence you mean down low by the exhaust ?
Because I don't think any MSport or similar rear valence will suck the car down. I think the little wicker spoiler on the tip of the trunk might minimize rear turbulence and prevent lift.
As for aiding rear traction or road holding, 80 or higher in the wet, 130 or higher in the dry - those I guess are the thresholds for aiding tire bite or chassis stability. Then crosswinds or gas-mileage the bodywork add-ons might come into play.
Yeah, that's what I meant I guess I just worded it like Dinan does when you're ordering their exhaust. Unless I'm misunderstanding them, I thought rear valance and diffuser were the same thing. Some of you were saying that having having one without the other may affect things, since I only have the front splitter, I thought it might. I honestly don't have the driving experience to tell the difference, but I do like the way the front splitter looks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #8
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

I too was wondering the same thing. You gotta imagine it doesn't play a massive difference in having 1 or both items. The only reason I say that is because they "recommend" installing both. If having only one of these were to create significant aerodynamic imbalance, then I'm sure BMW would "require" installing both or at least more strongly state that it would be dangerous in some way or another. Then again that's just a hunch! Always a good way to encourage people to buy both.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 06:20 AM   #9
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Thanks guys, appreciate all the feedback!
Appreciate 0