THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Last minute tips?

02-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Last minute tips?

I should be taking delivery of the M235i on Saturday. This is my first time buying a car by myself at a dealer. I don't want any surprises, so wanted to know what the process was like and if there's anything I should watch out for.

- Sales sheet was signed at the time of order
- they did an appraisal for trade-in for the 328i based on the mileage, it has racked up another 1200+ miles since.
- the finance manager gave me an interest rate quote for BMWFS

Hopefully none of the figures in the above will change.

Any tips will be appreciated. I'd still like to get some rubber mats out of the deal.

Last edited by Xiaoxi; 02-23-2015 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Hey, make sure to take with you printouts of all important communications between the dealer and you, to the dealer, when picking up, esp. about pricing. That way, if they make any cheap attempts to add a positive integer to your sale price or interest rate or whatever, you have the paperwork right there to call BS. And, of course, double check ALL THE NUMBERS !

They WILL try to hurry you along as you sign the paperwork. DON'T LET THEM. Take your time to check everything to make sure they're not adding in "a few extra things".

Also, about the times when you felt your CA was out of line in his communication, have proof of that with you as well ... doesn't hurt. Anything you can use to your benefit or leverage, if needed.

Also, remember to be diplomatic. The harsh reality is that you will likely need them sometime in the future. So, any minor disagreements or issues, it's best to deal with diplomatically, not burning bridges.

If you feel confident that you can do this without it getting out of control, you could calmly ask the CA why he acted that way (out of line). Try to make it sound like it's no big deal, but be assertive and clear. Who knows ? Maybe his bad behavior = free floor mats

About the car, you already know this, but:
- Verify the config matches your desired config exactly. I am going to check things like the driver's assistance + stuff, because they are things that can easily be missed. Check features that aren't obvious just from looking at the car
- Of course, check all around, interior and exterior, for damage ... dents, scratches, paint chips, etc. Once you drive it off the lot, they can wash their hands clean of all responsibility. This is VERY IMPORTANT ! So, make sure to pick up when and where you have good visibility. If it gets dark by 4 pm, get to the dealer by noon
- Make sure they give you a full tank of gas (this is standard). Ask them to make sure it's 91 octane gas. Of course, you can't verify.
- Check the miles on the car as soon as you get in for the first time ? Less than 10 is what I've been told is normal. Make sure they haven't joyridden it.
- Give the interior instrumentation a basic test ? No BS airbag warnings going off, no check control warnings, etc. Nav shows American maps, not German Audio system works.

One last thing - if possible, take a friend or someone else perhaps more experienced in car buying, with you. This can act as a deterrent so the dealer won't try to take advantage of you in any way. This may not be a problem since this is the final step in the process, but it doesn't hurt.

Most of all, ... enjoy bringing home a magnificent automobile

And you'd BETTER post LOTS of pictures

Last edited by Inline_Six; 02-19-2015 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep

^Thanks for all the great tips, man. I'm definitely jotting down some of the pointers here and will have everything on paper. I also remember what you said regarding the CA previously and will keep that in mind, front and center.

Hang in there for yours!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

The first response was excellent, hesitant to add anything - but.

Yeah, stand firm if they try to add any charges. 1200 mile increase on trade on is cool, I added 4Kmikes and they honored the trade in price figured four months earlier.

Pick up during day light hour, ideally inspect paint for swirl under sunlight and interior lights of garage.

Check wheel rims for curb rash, chk around the car at bumper height for marks and chk panels for door dings.

Chk interior seats and headliner for any rips or tears.

I personally if running into an issue would not take car off lot but would leave at dealership until issue resolved.

They'll probably throw at you upgrade and extended warranty offers so don't sign on at pick-up, decline and say you'll give it consideration.

They may also go over car with you on features, I would read owners manual online beforehand then ask any questions, I was too excited to sit there and be taught, I wanted to get on the road.

Make sure car has the tires you wanted and follow the break-in procedure
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #5
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Both gents covered the in's/out's of taking possession of your new M235i. But remember, also savor the moment and enjoy the experience. After all, it is YOUR BMW M235i.....finally!
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

My CA said he would photograph my car coming off the truck and would text me when that happens so that I can rush to the dealer to witness it.

If you are available at that time, ask your dealer to let you know when it comes off the truck (which may not necessarily be the time you pick it up, coz detailing can take a day), or if not, ask him to take pics/videos for you !

Those are priceless moments you may not want to miss !
      02-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #7
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

So, how was it ?

And, ... ahem ahem ... pictures please
      02-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep

All, thanks for the additional tips! Sorry for my absence, got caught up with work.

Unfortunately the delivery did not take place yesterday, as the universe deemed I needed to wait a few more days. CA informed me that there was a 40 hour wait for prepurchase inspection. Even if that wasn't the case, the huge snowstorm on the east coast would have rendered it impossible. I'll be going tomorrow morning! Here's hoping there's no other hiccup...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:43 AM   #9
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey sorry, this is really last minute, but I remembered something pretty important and since no one mentioned it, I thought to ...

Auto insurance ? Have you gotten this set up ? I would not even drive off the dealer lot without making sure I've gotten my insurance transferred over from my old car.

You probably have this all figured out, but since it's your first time buying, thought I'd mention it just in case.

Have fun tomorrow !
      02-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #10
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep

I got the car! It is a DREAM. Worth the wait, I6twinscroll! And yes, auto insurance was sorted at the last minute, good to go!

I don't have anything special to say that others who are more experienced and articulate have already stated. However, even as I'm babying the car during the breakin, I could not stop smiling and laughing while driving this thing today!!

Also, the photos don't do it justice. This car is STUNNING in person. Before getting it I was like "I need these mods to shake up the looks" but with it in front of me, it's perfect as is. I'll still do the mods I mentioned but it already looks so damn good.

Also, I'm a first time manual driver. The clutch is so forgiving...and I think it must either have some kind of active mechanism assisting me or the engine is picking up some of the rev matching slack for me. Either way, I feel confident enough for my work commute tomorrow.

Appreciate 1
      02-24-2015, 12:14 AM   #11
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
I got the car! It is a DREAM. Worth the wait, I6twinscroll! And yes, auto insurance was sorted at the last minute, good to go!

I don't have anything special to say that others who are more experienced and articulate have already stated. However, even as I'm babying the car during the breakin, I could not stop smiling and laughing while driving this thing today!!

Also, the photos don't do it justice. This car is STUNNING in person. Before getting it I was like "I need these mods to shake up the looks" but with it in front of me, it's perfect as is. I'll still do the mods I mentioned but it already looks so damn good.

Also, I'm a first time manual driver. The clutch is so forgiving...and I think it must either have some kind of active mechanism assisting me or the engine is picking up some of the rev matching slack for me. Either way, I feel confident enough for my work commute tomorrow.
Awesome ! Congrats ... she's gorgeous ! Yes, I agree that the pics don't do it justice.

How did you learn to drive a manual ? Did you get lessons from a friend ? Hate to sound so negative on such a joyous occasion, but I would be careful with your new Bimmer ... I assume you're already experienced enough at least not to damage the transmission ?

I've always felt that if I decided to drive manual someday, I'd get a cheapo $2500 car and fuck with it all day long to learn, before buying an expensive luxury car with a stick.

Anyway, enough blabber ... ENJOY !

Last edited by Inline_Six; 02-24-2015 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:20 AM   #12
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks!! I learned on my friend's 22 yo NA miata, which is alllll analog. That car makes this car much easier to drive. I've stalled a few times but by the end of the day I've gotten much more comfortable with riding the clutch when needed and smooth rev matched shifting. I also had the logitech g27 to practice the routines, and it's been second nature to me for months already That's a great (and cheap) way to get some practice in!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
I also had the logitech g27 to practice the routines, and it's been second nature to me for months already That's a great (and cheap) way to get some practice in!
That is very new-school. LOL

Congrats on the car!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Alright-y! Great to hear that your wait is now over. It's a beaut. Wishing you many miles of smiles to come!