THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Anyone Try Self Install Clear Bra?

02-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
thebiglubinsky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3

Anyone Try Self Install Clear Bra?

Hello,

Had anyone tried to tackle installing a clear bra themselves? What are some pros and cons to doing the job yourself? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I imagine it would be like tinting my own windows, which sounds like a terrible idea lol
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Say Yes to PPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglubinsky View Post
Hello,

Had anyone tried to tackle installing a clear bra themselves? What are some pros and cons to doing the job yourself? Thanks!
thebiglubinsky,

We get this question quite a bit, and we highly recommend a professional installer complete the work. All paint protection films (regardless of brand) can be very difficult and frustrating to install, especially around contoured surfaces. You've got to know exactly where to start, stretch, squeegee, etc...Then, if you have to go in and fix anything, you've got to know how to fix it without messing up the entire piece. Which happens more often than not. It's definitely worth the money to pay someone who does it 40 hours a week to install the film.

Hope this helps. Let us know if we can answer any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

I have Xpel ultimate on the entire front end of my M235i (full bumper, full hood, full fenders, headlights, and mirrors).

It's almost impossible to notice, I think mostly because of the install. The amount of intricate cuts and seams on the front bumper makes me realize how complex the bumper actually is, and also very happy I didn't try to do it myself.

I also never want to get that close to my car with a razor blade haha.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
DrJones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 x3 m40i, Audi RS3

I have tackled self installing a PPF (clear bra). I had one on the front end of my S4 before I sold it for my F22. I removed the old one with no problem with light (or else you melt the PPF) heat and tugging. Installing the new one did not go well! I think of myself as a relatively handy guy...the PPF was NOT easy. It is one of those things that takes time and practice to do well. Unless you are just great at watching youtube and "getting it", you will not like the results if you do it yourself. I would recommend someone who has done it a few times.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

To be clear, I think this is a HORRIBLE idea and you will end up wasting your time and money for materials. There is no way an amateur will get a professional level result, you'll be annoyed with it for sure assuming you even get it done.

That said - if you insist on going down this path start with something small. Get enough film to do your mirror covers or something, if that goes badly so what. If it goes well you will have a decent feel for working with the material and a better idea of your capabilities of doing another larger piece.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00