THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum ZF 8 Auto Owners... Owner Reviews?

10-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #67
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

I think I am going to go with the ZF auto. This time around I think you are actually taking a pretty big value hit by not getting it. That transmission is quite the piece of technology. If you are an absolute manual lover I could see it, but this time around I have decided to go auto. it is just hard to argue when performance is better, mileage is better, shifts are razor sharp and faster, you can do more with the car with the auto now. Years ago this was not the case. I am waiting on the M2 press release though prior to buying, just in case.
      10-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #68
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Wasn't sure where else to put this, and didn't really want to start a whole new thread. I've test driven the M235i in auto and the 228i in 6spd. Wife has an X1 with N26 and auto. That engine really needs the auto to get the most out of it. The M235i probably mates well with the 6 spd (since all the 335s I've driven feel good with a manual).

I was really expecting to ;ove the 228i with the manual, but I came away disappointed with the engine and transmission. Wifes X1 feels faster, has to be because of the transmission. The 228i sounded good, and the chassis felt great, but I would not get the 228 in manual. Just my observations.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #69
SteveSFO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 Long Beach Blue

Tough call. I opted for the ZF8 after 34 years since the last time I owned a car with an automatic. Having manual control over the ZF8 and how well the Steptronic works won me over this time. I miss my E46 with a 5 speed but it was just time. SF Bay Area traffic is mainly stop and go so I do appreciate being able to just set it and forget it.

Since my old E46 is still in the hands of someone in the family, I can always just place a phone call to get my stick shift urges met. I may just buy an old 2002 or E30 to have around when I want to get back to basics.

Good luck in making a choice...it's a hard call to make.
Appreciate 0