THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum “Manual” my a**

08-17-2022, 11:24 AM   #23
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M240i

Morphing this thread:

BMW appears to be on track to make a four-motor electric car that performs incredibly well (while perhaps requiring very little skill from the driver).

Will that make it more or less fun to drive?

“Thanks to the particularly sensitive dosage of drive torque and conversion without perceptible latency, significantly higher cornering speeds can be achieved, even on rain-soaked or snow-covered roads, for example. In this case, the vehicle steers effortlessly and without a tendency to understeer, as the drive torque for the outside rear wheel has already been increased parallel to the steering angle.”
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 12:03 PM   #24
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShoe View Post
Morphing this thread:

BMW appears to be on track to make a four-motor electric car that performs incredibly well (while perhaps requiring very little skill from the driver).

Will that make it more or less fun to drive?

“Thanks to the particularly sensitive dosage of drive torque and conversion without perceptible latency, significantly higher cornering speeds can be achieved, even on rain-soaked or snow-covered roads, for example. In this case, the vehicle steers effortlessly and without a tendency to understeer, as the drive torque for the outside rear wheel has already been increased parallel to the steering angle.”
Not sure this is the thread to post that in, but whatever.

That makes me even more depressed about the direction the company is headed. Though, I suppose it's been too far gone for a while, now. Wish I had the money to drive Porsches haha. They're the last ones standing when it comes to ICE sports cars, in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      08-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #25
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Not sure this is the thread to post that in, but whatever.

That makes me even more depressed about the direction the company is headed. Though, I suppose it's been too far gone for a while, now. Wish I had the money to drive Porsches haha. They're the last ones standing when it comes to ICE sports cars, in my opinion.
So true. You really can't blame them though.. They are in the business to make money and I'm sure they do not want to lose any piece of the up and coming EV market. The demand for a true "sports cars", in the classic form, is dwindling away with every new model generation.

It's also clear that legislature wants all things ICE out in favor of EV. Not sure how much behind the scenes is going on, big contracts etc etc, but the push is on and that topic is one in itself... California, for example, already putting deadlines on new ice sales to stop and so on.

As the old saying goes, "If you can beat them, join them" . EV will encapsulate mass sales eventually and production of an ICE may become absurdly expensive due to taxation laws, tariffs, or some crazy EPA emissions requirement that cannot be met by traditional ICE production vehicles.

Anywho, yes this is totally off topic. Manual cars will be as unheard of as 100% ICE cars, so enjoy your while you can. EV is here to stay whether we like it or not so don't get rid of your prized processions
      08-17-2022, 04:02 PM   #26
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Further OT; sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
I agree that Porsche is certainly producing ICE sports cars, and darn fine ones, too. At a price, of course.

BMW's Zs are the manufacturer's only products that I've considered to be sports cars. I've thought of all the others as sitting somewhere on the GT car continuum.

Sports cars that offer much less than Porsches in the way of performance, price, and weight are the Miata and the BRZ/86 twins. Having driven a twin, I think they're excellent ICE sports cars, and I've been reading seemingly forever that the Miata is, too.

I seriously considered both before choosing a 2 Series, finally accepting that I wanted/needed more than a sports car could offer. Road trips I had planned prior to purchase pointed me toward the GT-ness of my long-time favorite brand: BMW. Bang-for-the-buck, the desire for a "light(er)" car, and not wanting an M-car pointed me at the 2 Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJR235 View Post
So true. You really can't blame them though.. They are in the business to make money and I'm sure they do not want to lose any piece of the up and coming EV market. The demand for a true "sports cars", in the classic form, is dwindling away with every new model generation.
BMW was the world's most profitable automobile manufacturer in 2016 and in 2017. (I've never been able to find which companies are on that list post-2017.)

I'd say the company's focus on profitability over the decades has served it in good stead as it's accumulated some of the billions of dollars necessary to get its transition to EVs and hybrids off the ground.
Appreciate 4
      08-17-2022, 11:16 PM   #27
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep
Drives: '20 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post

I seriously considered both before choosing a 2 Series, finally accepting that I wanted/needed more than a sports car could offer. Road trips I had planned prior to purchase pointed me toward the GT-ness of my long-time favorite brand: BMW. Bang-for-the-buck, the desire for a "light(er)" car, and not wanting an M-car pointed me at the 2 Series.
My road to the 2-series as well. Gotta commute to work every day in the thing, gotta do the road trips, gotta have something the wife won't hate, but gotta have something that's at least some fun on a twisty road. Even the Car and Driver folks indicated that an M2 is going to be a bit hard to live with if you don't plan on tracking the thing consistently. If I can someday afford a car that's only a toy, then I'll start looking at Miatas.
Appreciate 3
dradernh4413.00
ggggbmw432.50
      08-18-2022, 07:01 AM   #28
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Only you younger folks can kill the electric car.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4413.00
      08-31-2022, 09:00 AM   #29
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
I’m gonna be tackling the CDV delete this weekend.
Hey, any success with this? How did it turn out?

I'm thinking of doing this on the long weekend, not sure yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 10:54 AM   #30
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
Only you younger folks can kill the electric car.
Meanwhile, this older folk just ordered one (but still keeping the 2 alongside it).
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      08-31-2022, 12:17 PM   #31
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Hey, any success with this? How did it turn out?

I'm thinking of doing this on the long weekend, not sure yet.
I bought the E9X slave cylinder from FCP for $80. It’s a 1 for 1 swap with F2X. I ended up having my shop install it since I had a couple other issues with the car that I didn’t have time to sort out. They installed it, reverse bled the clutch and buttoned it up in less than an hour. The E90 slave cylinder doesn’t have a CDV and is otherwise exactly the same so it’s the easy button.

The result is worth it. I wish I had done this years ago. It’s been a week now since the job and I haven’t stuttered the clutch once getting into first. Finally feels consistent and predictable.
      08-31-2022, 12:34 PM   #32
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Ah ok thanks, I will try doing the screw method first. (kern DIY video to the rescue)

My E90 was easy, it had a separate restriction piece that you just removed and plugged the male to female end back in. I think they changed it to female to female for later years or some such. Edit: found it... this is for the E90. 21526764872 it's even called the clutch delay valve in the ESC tuning catalog.

Last edited by freakystyly; 08-31-2022 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 02:26 PM   #33
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I bought the E9X slave cylinder from FCP for $80. It’s a 1 for 1 swap with F2X. I ended up having my shop install it since I had a couple other issues with the car that I didn’t have time to sort out. They installed it, reverse bled the clutch and buttoned it up in less than an hour. The E90 slave cylinder doesn’t have a CDV and is otherwise exactly the same so it’s the easy button.

The result is worth it. I wish I had done this years ago. It’s been a week now since the job and I haven’t stuttered the clutch once getting into first. Finally feels consistent and predictable.
Is this it, please?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-21526785964
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 02:31 PM   #34
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Correct, that’s the one.
      09-15-2022, 05:44 PM   #35
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Correct, that’s the one.
Thanks again so much! Just arrived and goes in next week!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-19-2022, 02:01 PM   #36
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Yes, it is and now, I do too!

Just back from the shop. Definitely a mod to do for all 6MT owners!

Thanks again for sharing this tip!

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-19-2022 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 06:19 PM   #37
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

A small sporty electric? I'd look hard at that. Taycan looks interesting but I hate the local Porsche dealer.
Appreciate 0