THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Hi-Fi Speaker Upgrade

05-19-2015, 01:54 AM   #133
eatsmeetswes
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
It won't fit without modification since these are direct repalcement for the older model.
You will need add spacers at minimum so back of speaker will not hit window glass.
I installed this and it does not require any spacers. I did install some sound deadening mat that gave it a little spacing but spacers are not needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 06:07 AM   #134
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsmeetswes View Post
I installed this and it does not require any spacers. I did install some sound deadening mat that gave it a little spacing but spacers are not needed.
Hey thanks so much for confirming.

Have you found that the sound deadening was worth it? I am wondering if I should also put some dynamat or second skin on there.

Build thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149793
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #135
M2withACC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Question

hey all,

I am back in the BMW world. and I love car audio! I just picked up a M235i with the 7 speaker hi fi. Should I get the stock h/k tweeter? it seems a very easy upgrade. Is it worth it?

My old E90 M3 with H/K Logic 7, The sound was not so clear but I didn't bother to swap out the speakers. Instead I got Earthquake SWS 8", Technic's adapters with Alpine PDFX 400 to power them.

My old E92 M3 with Enhanced Premium Sound, It it acceptable as stock system the the SQ is better than the old E90 but EPS was lack of bass. But I didn't bother to throw this subs back in.

How about my current F22? I was thinking to just get the H/K tweeter. Should I go aftermarket and still able to retain the speakers for my future F80/F82?

I have listened to a F30 HK 16 speakers and some F80/F82 M3/M4 with HK 16 speakers. It is fine as a stock system but the mercedes benz C class with Burmester wins all over imo.

Anyway, There is a huge chance I might trade in my M235i for a M3/M4 next year.

Any opinions would be highly appreciated!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #136
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsmeetswes View Post
Good to know. My response was based on specs.
Back clearance is not even so it will depend on the width of the speaker back frame.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #137
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by europeankar View Post
hey all,

I How about my current F22? I was thinking to just get the H/K tweeter.
Don't bother keeping stock midrange drives.
They are low quality and adding tweeters will not make them sound better.
The only reason to get HK tweeters is to get door sail covers for adding aftermarket tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #138
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I installed the Focal IFBMW-S front speakers with no spacers and no problems. I have not had a chance yet, but I do need to get the AS coded off. I also upgraded the amp and rear speakers and the AS is BOOMING in Sport mode (ok in Comfort). Sure would have been nice if BMW had given us the ability to adjust the volume of AS or turn it off without coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post
Hi Akuan

Are you sure?

chaswyck1 seems to have installed this kit with no problems.. http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102486

Chaswyck1, care to confirm?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #139
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck1 View Post
I have not had a chance yet, but I do need to get the AS coded off. I also upgraded the amp and rear speakers and the AS is BOOMING in Sport mode (ok in Comfort). Sure would have been nice if BMW had given us the ability to adjust the volume of AS or turn it off without coding.
I replaced HIFI amp with XD600.
I set amp sensitivity level for rear channels to lowest level this resulted in just a tad louder AS sound than stock.
One way to compare if your amp setting is high is by looking at the volume level setting for normal listening.
I was using about 40% when using stock amp and I'm now using about 30% volume setting (lower setting means that amp is more sensititive or setup for more gain).
Have you tried adjusting amp sensitivity settings?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #140
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I am disheartened to hear how awful the HK audio is in the 2 series, and that BMW hasn't corrected this.

Have they addressed the HK audio upgrade for the 2016 model?

I love driving, but music is ALWAYS on in my cars. I have to have it.
My F30 HK isn't fantastic, but it's very acceptable for a stock system and has plenty of low end. I can drive at highway speeds with the windows down and still hear the music.

From what I'm reading the 2 series HK sounds very similar to what I had in my 135i and that was not that great.
Hate to say it but this audio or lack thereof makes me want to rethink a 2 series.
It may sound silly, but I quickly get over the sound of the turbo muffled engine for entertainment. I listen to music in my cars MUCH more than I roll the window down to hear the engine firing off for a short run.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #141
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
I am disheartened to hear how awful the HK audio is in the 2 series, and that BMW hasn't corrected this.

Have they addressed the HK audio upgrade for the 2016 model?

I love driving, but music is ALWAYS on in my cars. I have to have it.
My F30 HK isn't fantastic, but it's very acceptable for a stock system and has plenty of low end. I can drive at highway speeds with the windows down and still hear the music.

From what I'm reading the 2 series HK sounds very similar to what I had in my 135i and that was not that great.
Hate to say it but this audio or lack thereof makes me want to rethink a 2 series.
It may sound silly, but I quickly get over the sound of the turbo muffled engine for entertainment. I listen to music in my cars MUCH more than I roll the window down to hear the engine firing off for a short run.
I am the same way, but I wouldn't kill the car due to the radio. Just get the base system and plan on upgrading. The HK sail panels are less than $100, add in a focal setup and amp and you will be beyond the HK anyways.
      08-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #142
Tangomiami
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 230i Convertible Silver

Hi guys!

New on the Forum and looking for info.

Got a new 2015 228i Convertible with basic Hi-Fi and looking to replace the stock speakers with 4 FOCAL IC-100 PRO.

My specific question is: Will these fit the REAR side PANEL on the 228i Convertible? Could only find posts on the Coupe but no luck on the convertible.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #143
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck1 View Post
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I installed the Focal IFBMW-S front speakers with no spacers and no problems. I have not had a chance yet, but I do need to get the AS coded off. I also upgraded the amp and rear speakers and the AS is BOOMING in Sport mode (ok in Comfort). Sure would have been nice if BMW had given us the ability to adjust the volume of AS or turn it off without coding.
Thanks for this - I ended up getting them installed too. I didn't upgrade the amp as I wanted to check what the speakers are like first. Initial impressions are the tweeters provides an improved sound stage and the sound is a lot more crisp at high volumes with the upgraded speakers. The system still lacks bass and feels a bit under powered but I can live with it for now, whereas the stock speakers were terrible.

Build thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149793
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 12:26 AM   #144
ironxcross
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i/2016 M235xi

Coming from a 335i with HK sound which I loved. Was advised that the M235i HK upgrade wasn't worth it, so I ordered stock and am currently installing Rockford Fosgate speakers in the front to start. If they sound good I'll upgrade the rest. Installer said they dropped right in, despite the databases not showing any fit. Ordered corner moulding pieces for the tweeters. Will let you know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #145
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I hate to ask this after all of you have written over six pages of posts, but going through this is a little confusing for a nube. Based all the experience collected so far, is it possible to summarize what are now the preferred or most popular upgrades to the Hi Fi system? I would probably want to limit my investment to speakers if possible, but if that was not enough then I would buy a modest amp upgrade, so the speakers would have to work with either the stock amp or the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #146
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
I hate to ask this after all of you have written over six pages of posts, but going through this is a little confusing for a nube. Based all the experience collected so far, is it possible to summarize what are now the preferred or most popular upgrades to the Hi Fi system? I would probably want to limit my investment to speakers if possible, but if that was not enough then I would buy a modest amp upgrade, so the speakers would have to work with either the stock amp or the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.
The following is for the Hi-Fi system:

Speakers
Easiest method is to replace the stock drivers with coaxials (two pair: one in the front doors, the other in the rear deck). Models that have proven to fit both locations -- particularly in the front doors, which have a depth restriction of approx. 54mm -- with this adapter on the Bay:
- Focal ISC100
- Morel Maximo 4c
- Hertz Energy 100.5
- JL Audio C2-400x
- JBL GX-402

Components will be more involved because there is no blank stock location for standalone tweeters in the front doors. The solution is to order the sail panels for the HK upgrade and retrofit 1" tweeters into them, while splicing into the wiring inside the door.

Subwoofers
The most important thing to know about the stock subwoofers is that they run at 2 ohms; the rest of the OEM speakers run at 4 ohms. This is done to extract more volume out of the stock amp at a given wattage.

The easiest and least expensive replacements would be the Earthquake Audio SWS-8, which are nearly dop-in replacements when ordered with a BMW-specific mounting bracket. The SWS-8 comes in two versions: 2 ohm (to use with the stock amp) and 4 ohm (to use with an aftermarket amp ONLY). The SWS-8 is a true sub; it's an improvement, but not a huge one because one of the OEM system's sonic weaknesses is mid-bass, which the SWS-8 doesn't do a good job alleviating. Better choices (and more $$$) are the mid-bass woofer by Jehnert (usually sold as an OEM-replacement set for the 3-series, but some resellers will sell these separately) and the Focal IBMW-S, which is a direct replacement (and with a street price of about $380 a piece).

Amplifiers
Easiest is to order a plug-and-play harness from TechnicPnP (about $80, available via email only at this stage) and use a JL Audio 600/6 in the stock location (in the rear left corner of the car, under the carpet in the trunk just ahead of the rear left light assembly). The most important thing regarding an amp is that it need to have differential balanced inputs; most car amplifiers don't have this feature, and the majority of the ones that do are very expensive. JL Audio's amps are the least expensive good-quality amps that have this feature and also have gain controls for each channel, which helps keep the ASD (which cannot be defeated except via coding or another special wiring harness that TechnicPnP sells) at tolerable levels from the rear speakers.

Other options:
- BimmerTech/Match amp (coding required to defeat ASD, but it's an easier install and has DSP via PC software included)
- Alpine PDX series amps (no gain control, IIRC)
- some Audison, Zapco and Arc Audio amps ($$$)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Viffermike; 01-22-2016 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 8
      01-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #147
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Mike that is a great summary. Thank you so much for taking the time to post that. Will the speakers and tweeters work with the stock amp, or is the amp upgrade necessary? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #148
CAF10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Alternative to Technic harness, ebay listing below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161850212268
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #149
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
Mike that is a great summary. Thank you so much for taking the time to post that. Will the speakers and tweeters work with the stock amp, or is the amp upgrade necessary? Thanks again.
It's not necessary (though it will help quite a bit), but I would recommend that all four speakers be the same make and model, and to pay attention to the sensitivity ratings of the ones I listed, as well as any others you come across. (General rule: the higher the sensitivity (measured in xx dB), the louder the speakers will be at a constant wattage.)

I didn't mention the subwoofers under the seats. I've added info to my previous post.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #150
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

As an alternative, the team at Musicar Northwest, Portland, OR, created a custom amp with a built in program for tuning that is plug and play for an upgrade. They used my car as a lab for the upgrade, but took my stock system (M235, no HK) and added the HK tweeters and their custom amp in the trunk (next to stock amp) for the design.

Result is a very pleasing upgrade beyond any of the stock HK options on the 2 series. Beyond that upgrade, I know they have a series of levels which can include the underseat subs and a custom trunk enclosure with amp.

Definitely an alternative for those looking for something already tuned, customized, and plug and play w/o the need for a local shop to do additional custom work as well.
      01-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #151
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
As an alternative, the team at Musicar Northwest, Portland, OR, created a custom amp with a built in program for tuning that is plug and play for an upgrade. They used my car as a lab for the upgrade, but took my stock system (M235, no HK) and added the HK tweeters and their custom amp in the trunk (next to stock amp) for the design.

Result is a very pleasing upgrade beyond any of the stock HK options on the 2 series. Beyond that upgrade, I know they have a series of levels which can include the underseat subs and a custom trunk enclosure with amp.

Definitely an alternative for those looking for something already tuned, customized, and plug and play w/o the need for a local shop to do additional custom work as well.
Thanks, hoppy6698. IIRC, I believe Musicar Northwest is one of the places that will sell the Jehnert mid-bass drivers individually.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #152
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Viffermike For installation of the ISC-100s in the Rear Deck...would I need the adapters that you mention above? Also, I will need the harnesses right?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #153
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Viffermike For installation of the ISC-100s in the Rear Deck...would I need the adapters that you mention above? Also, I will need the harnesses right?

Thanks!
No spacers are needed for the rear deck, though for a flush install you will need to make two mods for each speaker:

1). Either bend or cut off (with a Dremel, ideally) two of the four mounting tabs on the aftermarket speaker
2). Fabricate a tab that holds the aftermarket speaker in place at the third OEM mounting point.
The same guy who makes the F22 front door spacers on eBay now makes a rear deck ring adapter that eliminates needing to do those mods. May be worth the trouble to get 'em along with the front spacers.

As for the harnesses: you're talking about speaker pigtails? You don't need them at all ... But they make installation soooo much easier.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2018, 09:16 PM   #154
Kiloptero
Rep
Drives: M240i 2018 White alpine

Hi all! A question.. today arrive my f22 m240 that's come with the "hifi" system
I can't see any tweeter and not even feel any woofer .. the vin says hifi.. but there is no tweeter in the corners near the window..
The tweeters comes with the front door speakers? Thanks a lot! I don't want to open and be sure that my dealers send me the correct kit! Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0