THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing track day - prep

05-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #23
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper83 View Post
Thanks for the additional info.

Are there any drawbacks to camber plates?

I'm going to keep my current 225 square Pirelli setup for winter so I will likely get a good set of summer tires (too much money to go designated track tires plus summers at this point). Any suggestion on a good set of inexpensive 18" rims would be appreciated. It looks like stock tire size call for a 245/35-18. Tirerack only shows the PSS in this size as an option for the tires mentioned in this thread, unless I'm missing something. Also, does anyone know the difference between the PSS and the PSS BMW besides $47?

Thanks,
The camber plates themselves (if you get good ones -- I got Ground Control) don't have any negative effects. Having high negative camber does. You will experience some increased inside shoulder wear from the angle of your tires. If you are tracking often enough, this won't matter since you'll kill your tires long before they give out from normal use.

With regard to tires, 245/35 is a weird size. I run 255/35 square on APEX ARC-8 wheels, 18x8.5, ET 38. They actually fit really well (no poke with some camber, and decent strut clearance) and do not require spacers. There are far more options in the 255/35 size than in the 245/35 size. I happen to be running Direzza II's (not star specs).

With regard to wheels, I really like my ARC-8's. They are super light (about 18 lbs a piece) look OEM, and are relatively inexpensive (about 290 a wheel). I would recommend.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #24
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Thanks. All the info is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:11 AM   #25
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Thanks for the additional info.

Are there any drawbacks to camber plates?

I'm going to keep my current 225 square Pirelli setup for winter so I will likely get a good set of summer tires (too much money to go designated track tires plus summers at this point). Any suggestion on a good set of inexpensive 18" rims would be appreciated. It looks like stock tire size call for a 245/35-18. Tirerack only shows the PSS in this size as an option for the tires mentioned in this thread, unless I'm missing something. Also, does anyone know the difference between the PSS and the PSS BMW besides $47?

Thanks,
my only issue with camber plates is that some dealers will probably not be to keen if you show up for service under warranty and have some suspension issue....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #26
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
Mike, I almost sold the car, it was a total disappointment out of the box.

That being said, camber plates, LSD, jb4 and sway bars, suspension, and proper track tires and I am in love. Have to be happy modding though.

To give you perspective I track at least 40 days a year and have access to drive many many cars. With the mods it's a rewarding car to drive, I can fit the track tires in the back and still use it when the wife wants to go to dinner.

I can't think of another car I can do all this in. I could get a smaller lighter car but I would be back to trailering (no where to put tires) or another dedicated car which will get me back into racing and make the cost of this look like buying a used yugo.
Is yours blue and were you at Daytona with flatout last month?

I'm not thinking of selling because of track performance though. I have a 370z that is a fully built track car. I like the M a lot, but I don't really love it. I've just been bitten by the Cayman bug.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #27
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Yeah Mike,

Thats mine, I am not a big fan of Daytona, since I have a lot of camber dialed in, Plus I was running stock tires so I was just cruising on the banks.

Anyway to give you an idea if you run roebling last time I was there I was low 1:22s all day at temps in the mid 80s, with stock brakes. Looking at the data I think there is a 19 in the car with some nt01s and race pads. Hitting 147 in the straight with having to brake about 100 yards past start finish.

I had a 991 before this, with the mods this is faster and more fun. I have driven the cayman (new gen) extensively and almost bought one. I like them both a lot. I like the bmw requires more of the driver, with the mods on mine you are well above what the stock traction control and computer systems can handle, so you need to drive it. The cayman is very forgiving and fast, but I just like driving the car myself. Cayman is much lighter and it shows.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #28
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone see any issues with going with 235/40-17 with the Kosei rim? The 245/40-17 setup fits, but is a bit tight. I’ll get a little bit more clearance and slightly decrease the sidewall height. The overall tire diameter would be 24.4”. This is 2.8% shorter than my current tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #29
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone see any issues with going with 235/40-17 with the Kosei rim? The 245/40-17 setup fits, but is a bit tight. I’ll get a little bit more clearance and slightly decrease the sidewall height. The overall tire diameter would be 24.4”. This is 2.8% shorter than my current tire.
2.8% is quite a difference.... i remember somebody saying anything above 1.5% is not to good and anything above 3% is actually bad....

also with 235 you get less tire....

i have the Kosei with 245-40-17 RE-71R and it's tight... but if needed be I will put the 12mm spacers i have for the stock in the front if it's tighter after the LCA install
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #30
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I remember the same comment, but there was really no good engineering reason/data to back it up if I remember correctly. Trucks do this all the time. I went significanly up in tire size for my truck, some people go down. The only effect for me was the bigger diameter tire slowed me down.

As a side note 235/40-17 is only 1.6% smaller than the stock 245/35-18 tire diameter.

I do agree I get less width, but there is something attractive to me about the 235 width. I like the idea effectively lowering the height of the car by .35" without changing stock geometry, without needing spacers and keeping the sidewall height effectively the same.

I'm willing to be the guinea pig to try the combo out, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything (ie. will it mess up the computer DSC systems).

I'll be putting RE-11's or Direzza zII star specs on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #31
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper83
I remember the same comment, but there was really no good engineering reason/data to back it up if I remember correctly. Trucks do this all the time. I went significanly up in tire size for my truck, some people go down. The only effect for me was the bigger diameter tire slowed me down.

As a side note 235/40-17 is only 1.6% smaller than the stock 245/35-18 tire diameter.

I do agree I get less width, but there is something attractive to me about the 235 width. I like the idea effectively lowering the height of the car by .35" without changing stock geometry, without needing spacers and keeping the sidewall height effectively the same.

I'm willing to be the guinea pig to try the combo out, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything (ie. will it mess up the computer DSC systems).

I'll be putting RE-11's or Direzza zII star specs on it.
I think you should be ok with 235.

I really like the re-71r so far but only had it on for a week or so, seem a bit noisier than the PSS
Appreciate 0