THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Launch control wear down!?

05-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #23
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
I agree that the guy is a bit of a dork.

I DON'T agree that the exercise is futile. You read everywhere how modern sport cars go into "limp" mode after several minutes of severe driving. I'm not sure a brand new M3 could do 50 full-tilt 0-60 runs back-to-back like this without showing some adverse effects (overheating, limp mode, etc.). If I'm Porsche, I'm gently patting myself on the back after watching this. Just wish the guy wasn't such a tool. :-)

Fast AND strong.

You can also bet your ass that Bugatti, Lambo or others aren't going to hurry to replicate this test. It's brutal punishment to a car in a short period of time.

I think the point of the piece was to show how over-engineered the Porsche was...even though the test was something that no one would do in practical terms.

To be honest, I don't know how practical it is to put a car on a skid pad either, but these tests provide lateral G measurements that we use to compare against other cars.
Well, nowhere in my post indicated that it's futile but you and I definitely agree that it's not something you would want to do with your car.
      05-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #24
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBadman View Post
Well, nowhere in my post indicated that it's futile but you and I definitely agree that it's not something you would want to do with your car.
Agreed.

I didn't intend the "futile" part to apply to your post, (sorry for that perception).

I was trying to address others who were making comments that the entire test was dumb, to which I disagree.

"One Lap Of America" is a test of performance & durability. Heck, every race really is a test of performance and reliability.

Bragging rights of the winners often turn into sales at the dealer.

If I'm Porsche and 1 of my top performers can withstand this kind of outrageous punishment with flying colors…I'm telling everybody.

Not that you should….but you could.
Appreciate 0