BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #45
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Let's focus on taking out the 911 GT3 ring time with M4 GTS
I laughed.

An M4 GTS is a Honda Civic 'Si' to a GT3, oh look water injection... and neon striped wheels!

Even if it is 'close', a GT3RS would add additional length to the gap.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191

Last edited by technik330; 08-31-2015 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Spelling Typo - I hate that.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #46
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
It is important to remember that I am talking about CSL specifics and not about this car but another car.

The purpose and ability to bring something radical to the performance segment lies within the genes of the CSL Hommage. BMW and BMW M through BMWi are now at an exciting stage even ahead of their competitors to introduce an exciting new linage of CSL remodels evoking the very same reasons they were introduced in the first place to develop Motorsport technology and innovation for the road.

If we look at the M4 GTS its lighter,faster and more precise than the standard car plus it uses very new exciting innovation with Water Injection technology to distinguish it further from the standard M4 Coupe as does the increase in weight reduction innovation and the more direct response of the dynamics.
You might question what purpose for an M4 CSL?

It could use the same ideas but distinguish further by an increase in weight reduction innovation but incorporate some of BMWs latest thinking in getting the best of performance with an e-boost system demonstrated on the CSL Hommage. And that innovation is being tested on M4s today.

As everything begins for Motorsport BMW M have fabricated chassis sections and components out of CFRP including actual wheels and steering wheels as well as areas in the suspension out of CFRP for Motorsport evaluation, it is not impossible to include in a special road car. There is a conceptual lab in Munich that testing various CFRP applications in BMW,Rolls-Royce and even MINI's with some Cooper S models testing a CFRP hood.

The programme I have seen to reflect the creative conception of BMW Ms new strategy starts from Road car - Road Car Special Packet(Competition) - GTS - CSL. Identity is important so that is why there is an evolution for each stage with the CSL using conceptual visual ideas from the CSL Hommage but applying them realistically. It will be the first modern BMW Batmobile. And again its mission is to bring the competitive edge of Motorsport innovation to the road exactly like the E9 set out to do.

Of course this needs further funding to innovate and apply so there will be new but for the first time a BMW X3M and BMW X4M as well as M Performance versions of the BMW X1 and upcoming BMW X2. The forthcoming BMW Z sports car will be positioned like BMWi as a book between the BMWi and BMW M.
This is a significant post - it's significance should not be overlooked. The CSL may include carbon fiber wheels, and Electric boost technology? More significantly the m4 is currently being tested for electric boost technology? Impressive.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #47
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Goals are set. Not always achieved, but they are set We will see, but I have confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post
I laughed.

An M4 GTS is a Honda Civic 'Si' to a GT3, oh look water injection... and neon stripped wheels!

Even if it is 'close' a GT3RS would add additional length to the gap.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #48
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It is important to remember that I am talking about CSL specifics and not about this car but another car.

The purpose and ability to bring something radical to the performance segment lies within the genes of the CSL Hommage. BMW and BMW M through BMWi are now at an exciting stage even ahead of their competitors to introduce an exciting new linage of CSL remodels evoking the very same reasons they were introduced in the first place to develop Motorsport technology and innovation for the road.

If we look at the M4 GTS its lighter,faster and more precise than the standard car plus it uses very new exciting innovation with Water Injection technology to distinguish it further from the standard M4 Coupe as does the increase in weight reduction innovation and the more direct response of the dynamics.

It could use the same ideas but distinguish further by an increase in weight reduction innovation but incorporate some of BMWs latest thinking in getting the best of performance with an e-boost system demonstrated on the CSL Hommage. And that innovation is being tested on M4s today.

As everything begins for Motorsport BMW M have fabricated chassis sections and components out of CFRP including actual wheels and steering wheels as well as areas in the suspension out of CFRP for Motorsport evaluation, it is not impossible to include in a special road car. There is a conceptual lab in Munich that testing various CFRP applications in BMW,Rolls-Royce and even MINI's with some Cooper S models testing a CFRP hood.

The programme I have seen to reflect the creative conception of BMW Ms new strategy starts from Road car - Road Car Special Packet(Competition) - GTS - CSL. Identity is important so that is why there is an evolution for each stage with the CSL using conceptual visual ideas from the CSL Hommage but applying them realistically. It will be the first modern BMW Batmobile. And again its mission is to bring the competitive edge of Motorsport innovation to the road exactly like the E9 set out to do.

Of course this needs further funding to innovate and apply so there will be new but for the first time a BMW X3M and BMW X4M as well as M Performance versions of the BMW X1 and upcoming BMW X2. The forthcoming BMW Z sports car will be positioned like BMWi as a book between the BMWi and BMW M.
M2 CSL
M4 CSL
M6 CSL

Would that be too much to hope for?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #49
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This is a significant post - it's significance should not be overlooked. The CSL may include carbon fiber wheels, and Electric boost technology? More significantly the m4 is currently being tested for electric boost technology? Impressive.
I'll overlook it for now since I remember seeing a video of the koenigsegg one:1 and the price of a carbon fiber wheel is the price of a 3 series.
      08-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #50
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
While I agree that it's very unlikely (although I'd love a 4 door), there's a small possibility IMO. The 1er coupe (E82) showed up like 3 years after the 1er hatchback was released.
Yeah, same with the F2x cars. F20 3dr/5dr came out for MY2011, and coupe came out for MY2014. But the coupes are the end-of-the line for the E82/F22 platforms. For MY2018 we'll have the next-gen 1-series (based on the 35UP platform, not the FWD type), so it wouldn't make any sense to have a "new" car (never even spotted in development, yet) next year based on the out-going platform.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #51
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
I'll overlook it for now since I remember seeing a video of the koenigsegg one:1 and the price of a carbon fiber wheel is the price of a 3 series.
The new Mustang GT350R has Carbon Fiber wheels and the car is $66K.

I don't see why it would be out of the question on a CSL or perhaps even standard on M models in the near future.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #52
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Scott, any news of an F80 CRT?

Might feel more at home in the F80/F82 forum.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #53
SGL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Which is insane since the raw cost of the material going into each wheel at 13lbs is, just a guess, depending on the cost of fiber they are buying, probably 400 dollars.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #54
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGregory
Quote:
Which is insane since the raw cost of the material going into each wheel at 13lbs is, just a guess, depending on the cost of fiber they are buying, probably 400 dollars.
Yes but people buying those cars can afford a markup. And what rich bastard doesn't like being able to say these wheels cost more than your car?
      08-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #55
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Zuper!

Now that's more like it! What is step 2, then?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:06 PM   #56
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

I thought CF wheels weren't approved in many markets?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:10 PM   #57
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

UDM makes a return!

Quote:

All good things; the hope is these see the light of day and make to production and not be axed when it goes to the board.

The tech concept is bang on target, now if we can get the styling guys to same level...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #58
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
Is this a subtle hint that we'll see a M2 Gran Coupe?
I think he just meant we won't see a M3, M5 or M4 GC with the CSL/GTS name.
You are correct. Scott26 has previously stated there will be an M2 CSL, M4 CSL and a range-topping M6 CSL.

The F82 M4 CSL will look similar to this picture that was provided by Scott26
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #59
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #60
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #61
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Wow this is huge news about BMWs vision for the future

Quote:

08-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #62
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
CSL will only be available for the Coupe models.

CSL Concept car will be shown in 2016.

CSL will use the ideas from the hommage such as stuck on but blended in aerodynamics to bring a fresh visual perspective to these more extreme hardcore M cars over standard M cars.

CSL cars will not only be the most extreme variants but will also be used as the innovation test lab to test new and exciting innovation to enhance performance but meeting legislation. That includes variations of Power eDrive that have been developed to enhance and assist performance whilst delivering exceptional sustainability.

CSL cars will be innovative in using lightweight materials, the BMW M4 GTS has its upper body completely fabricated with CFRP. And BMW have done additional developments with parts of the M4 chassis also using CFRP in reference to Motorsport purpose, but it would not be unthinkable for application within a road car.

CSL continues the historic decision to use the then E9 and its Motorsport innovations within conventional road cars. But today the field is much further in terms of advanced innovation not only aimed at performance but also sustainability.
Are Csl version of both M2 and M4 planned? For the M2 appart from the e-power are we talking about a similar N55 like the M2 or a different 4cyl engine?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #63
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

I love Scott threads... Really interested in the Z car beginning to bridge the gap between M and I. Fun times to be a bmw fan. I've got my new M3 going in to production in a couple of weeks. I typically replace this car every 4-5 years. I can only imagine what technology I'm going to be looking at the next time I'm speccing and purchasing a car.

The only thing I can count on is that it is bound to be expensive
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:45 PM   #64
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
You are correct. Scott26 has previously stated there will be an M2 CSL, M4 CSL and a range-topping M6 CSL.

The F82 M4 CSL will look similar to this picture that was provided by Scott26
I believe you meant to say M2 CSL
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #65
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Goals are set. Not always achieved, but they are set We will see, but I have confidence.
We'll see.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 05:09 PM   #66
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
The Mustang GT350/R has carbon fiber wheels, and the car will be about 55-60k (not including dealer mark up).
Appreciate 0