THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Free Flow Exhaust

08-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #23
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Exhaust is now live on the website for purchase to anyone that may be interested.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #24
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Yes! Thanks! I'm in. Is it covered by the standard Dinan "piggyback" warranty? Also, "Not tested for M-Aerodynamic rear bumper"; would I have this on my M-Sport?

Last edited by BarryJI; 08-14-2015 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #25
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Does Dinan sell JUST the axle back exhaust (ie muffler) for 3/4 series? Or do you have to go catback?
      08-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #26
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Yes! Thanks! I'm in. Is it covered by the standard Dinan "piggyback" warranty? Also, "Not tested for M-Aerodynamic rear bumper"; would I have this on my M-Sport?
Most likely yes although for the 328i for example some M-sport packages didn't come with the rear bumper for some reason. The 328i muffler originally noted as not compatible with the M-aerodynamic bumper just because we don't have a 228i with the bumper on it. Eventually it was proven in the field it was compatible. I would assume this is the case on the 228i as well but until it is verified engineering doesnt want to officially sign off on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Does Dinan sell JUST the axle back exhaust (ie muffler) for 3/4 series? Or do you have to go catback?
The vast majority of Dinan exhaust systems are axleback and not catback. The F chassis 3/4 series mufflers would be considered an axleback as there is not a mid section included.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #27
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I spoke to the tech at my local BMW/Dinan tuner shop after he clarified this with his rep at Dinan. He asked me to describe the dark grey moulded piece immediately above the stock tailpipes. When I described it to him and confirmed there were no diffuser fins, he seemed satisfied that it was compatible so we went ahead with the order. I am going to post a photograph in the hope that you can confirm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9blw86bb9...2057.jpeg?dl=0

Last edited by BarryJI; 08-14-2015 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #28
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I spoke to the tech at my local BMW/Dinan tuner shop after he clarified this with his rep at Dinan. He asked me to describe the dark grey moulded piece immediately above the stock tailpipes. When I described it to him and confirmed there were no diffuser fins, he seemed satisfied that it was compatible so we went ahead with the order. I am going to post a photograph in the hope that you can confirm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9blw86bb9...2057.jpeg?dl=0
Confirmed. That is the non-M Aerodynamic bumper. You are golden.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #29
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Confirmed. That is the non-M Aerodynamic bumper. You are golden.
Excellent! Thanks. Very happy about this. My car is becoming a moving billboard for Dinan.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #30
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Most likely yes although for the 328i for example some M-sport packages didn't come with the rear bumper for some reason. The 328i muffler originally noted as not compatible with the M-aerodynamic bumper just because we don't have a 228i with the bumper on it. Eventually it was proven in the field it was compatible. I would assume this is the case on the 228i as well but until it is verified engineering doesnt want to officially sign off on it.

The vast majority of Dinan exhaust systems are axleback and not catback. The F chassis 3/4 series mufflers would be considered an axleback as there is not a mid section included.

Good to know. I have never seen any reason for catback systems unless you our pushing out 400hp+ at the wheels. Most stock systems are capable of handling the duties. Axleback Dinan system is perfect for me
      08-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #31
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Excellent! Thanks. Very happy about this. My car is becoming a moving billboard for Dinan.

Don't forget to watch your points added up so you can get the coveted 'DINAN' badge for your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      08-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #32
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I see exhaust for the 435..but I don't see any system for the 428 GC....
      08-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #33
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Don't forget to watch your points added up so you can get the coveted 'DINAN' badge for your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, right! I think I am one set of springs or wheels away. Might take a while, given how much money I've put into the 228i M Sport within four months of buying it! I must say, the Stage 1 tune really loosens it up and the car pulls like crazy now.

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #34
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

@Dinan Engineering:

My Dinan shop is having a really hard time getting Dinan to send the exhaust out, something to do with inventory management. Or maybe demand exceeds supply. Still, we've been waiting for a shipping confirmation for two weeks now. Can you comment? Not a huge deal, it'll get here at some point but there's no sign of it even shipping yet.

Last edited by BarryJI; 08-25-2015 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #35
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@Dinan Engineering:

My Dinan shop is having a really hard time getting Dinan to send the exhaust out, something to do with inventory management. Or maybe demand exceeds supply. Still, we've been waiting for a shipping confirmation for two weeks now. Can you comment? Not a huge deal, it'll get here at some point but there's no sign of it even shipping yet.
Sorry about that Barry. You and another 4 of these things have been held up a bit for various reasons and I can detail them to you in a PM if you like but it comes down to inventory and a sub-assembly piece was manufactured wrong.

That said, your exhaust is in receiving (got it done to late to ship it out yesterday) and will leave the building today so Avus will probably get it tomorrow or Friday I would imagine.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #36
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Got it installed this morning. Sounds great but not obnoxious, with a lot more low-end "rumble". Just as important, the car breathes a little easier and revs even more freely. Every Dinan mod I've done either adds torque or makes it available more quickly. This Deuce must now be one of the quicker 228s on the street. Thanks everybody, particularly Dinan_Engineering, for your support.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uzg5ue3q5...2058.jpeg?dl=0

(PS if anyone can tell me how to insert an image into a post, I'd be obliged, as the image tags do not work for me and I cannot think of what else might do it...)

Last edited by BarryJI; 08-31-2015 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 1